Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Tent
Color Name: BrownChange
Price:$182.44 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 15, 2011
Color Name: Brown
I've just read all the other reviews here and I just don't get it. I purchased this tent in summer of '10. Anyone who camps knows the first thing you need to do is put some Camp Dry on your tent. We set the tent up and put Camp Dry on it. The next night we got hit with what felt like a monsoon. It was literally 24 straight hours of non-stop pouring rain. We were dry as could be. We camp a lot and everyone raves about our tent when they see it. As far as set-up goes, this tent is easier than any I've ever set up. Basically 3 poles and your done. One person can do it in 20 minutes or so but a team of two can have it done it 5 minutes. Its just me and my girlfriend who use it so there is TONS of room. The swinging door is an awesome feature and on nice evenings when you open all the windows and the rain fly is off you get a cool breeze blowing through even on the hottest of nights. As far as water puddling, make sure you pull the rain fly tight. The water is going to run off and pool around the tent but if you've done your job and put camp dry on all of the seams you'll be dry as can be. I highly recommend this tent to anyone looking for a good quality inexpensive large tent. But do yourself a favor, buy a tarp big enough to fit under the tent for floor coverage and use camp dry on the tent. You'll have no problems.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2009
Color Name: Brown
After owning a previous tent for over ten years, it was time for a new one. I have skimped on price before but ultimately wound back up with the Coleman line. They just sell great reliable product. I did a lot of research and decided to go with the Coleman WeatherMaster 10 tent. I have two young daughters and my wife, this tent is the perfect size for a long weekend.
I set it up by myself in about 20-25 minutes. I recommend getting some help and the time will be cut in half. It was very easy to set up, although the directions sewn inside the bag are a little rough to read. I suggest printing out a copy from Coleman's website and follow them. Definitely set the tent up before you head out to familiarize yourself with it. You will see it is very easy.
It is a very large and roomy tent. It only has two spacious rooms, but do you really need more than that?? I have seen other reviews where people had mentioned it looked cheaply constructed. I disagree! The seams are very strong as well as the floor. The tent itself feels like a parachute type material. It feels very resilient to me. . . The one complaint I have which in all reality I guess you can't get away from, is that getting it back into the bag was a chore; I don't think I have ever has a tent go back into its case very easily. I don't understand why they don't make "stuff" tents yet in this day and age. It would be nice to just stuff that sucker right into a bag instead of rolling it up and dealing with the frustration. Anyway, just eye up the bag first and make tight rolls and it will go back in OK. I highly recommend this tent and know you will enjoy it as well.
on January 25, 2010
Color Name: BrownVerified Purchase
Went round and round for a large tent for car camping, you know, when the whole tribe goes.
Got out this weekend for the first time with the WeatherMaster 10.

1) Setup was easy with one person, pretty windy so the fly was a little bit of a challenge, but doable alone.
2) Well made, well designed product. We had three full size men in there, all with oversized cots and all our gear. Pleanty of room.
3) Ventilates really well.
4. FULL DAY of steady rain on Saturday, found only one leak in a corner, maybe 3 tablespoons of water; didn't have time to get the seams sealed before heading out. Will cover that when I set it up to clean. Did very well though, it was a LOT of rain.

Very happy with the purchase.
review image review image review image
on November 22, 2011
Color Name: Brown
Bought this tent anticipating being able to take the whole family for some nice R&R. But to be safe, I took it solo to Cades Cove Campground in the Smokies. First two days were great and so was the weather. Third night out I went to sleep to the sound of a light breeze and awoke at 5:30 am with water dripping on my face. I thought maybe one of the seams was leaking so rolled over to get out from under the drip. Rolled over into a puddle. It was raining outside obviously; don't know how long. I grabbed a headlamp and shined the light thru the mesh ceiling to the rainfly and discovered that every square inch of the rainfly was leaking. Not the seams but every square inch of fabric was flowing water as if it wasn't waterproofed at all.

I contacted Coleman and they had me destroy the tent and send them pictures of the destroyed tent. They shipped me a replacement tent and I pitched it in the front yard just prior to a light 2 hour rain. After sitting around a while I went out and checked on the tent with my fingers crossed. It was deja vu all over again. Water leaking everywhere through the rainfly.

I subsequently did some more reading on Coleman's website -- they state the polyester rainfly is treated to 450mm hydrostatic head rating. 450mm is not waterproof; it is hardly drizzle proof. Most good tents are treated to 2000mm hydrostatic head rating.

I currently own 4 backpacking tents: two 4 season Sierra Design tents, 1 The North Face (3 season), and 1 Eureka (3 season). I've always seam sealed the tents but never had to do anything to the rainfly and I've never been wet in any of these tents. But NOW, two tents from Coleman and they BOTH leak? It would appear that this is a condition endemic to this model of Chinese Made tent. I so wanted this tent to be dependable becasue apart from the fact that it hardly even slows down the rain, it is a great tent. It's big and roomy with lots of ventilation. I love the hinged door. Too bad this tent can't keep water on the outside.

Whatever you do, do not subject your family to this tent without first testing it in a moderately sustained rain. You'll be sorry.
review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2013
Color Name: Brown
We researched different tents for a month or two and finally decided on this one after reading all of the reviews. We're a family of five (two adults and three kids under five) and wanted a lot of space for a couple of beds and our bags.

The day before our camping trip we took the tent out and did a dry run so we'd be comfortable putting it up at the camp site. Good thing we did, since we wound up getting to the site at dark. It took two of us just over 20 minutes to set up the tent during the dry run and that included pauses for me to read the instructions. It took us less time to set it up the second time and that was in the dark. You definitely need at least two people to get this tent up, but that's to be expected with such a large tent. The main poles are very sturdy and easy to thread through the top of the tent. It's important to stake the four corners of the tent really well and then attach the rainfly correctly.

Pros:
HUGE! We were able to fit two queen sized air mattresses and our bags with plenty of room to spare. We could have easily fit another queen sized air mattress or a pack-n-play without anything touching the tent walls.

The hinged door. I'm used to flimsy tent doors that get caught in the zipper when opening and closing them. The hinged door was fantastic and perfect for walking in and out while carrying a baby. The only downside is our 2 year old thought it was a lot of fun to constantly open and close the door. I'm sure after a few more camping trips that novelty will wear off for her.

Easy set up. We read all of the negative reviews about this tent and knew we wouldn't be able to put this thing up with just one person (and really, what 10 person tent can you put up solo?). My husband staked the tent corners while I threaded the poles then we both quickly popped them in to place. Once the tent was up, my husband finished staking the rest of it and I stepped in to set up our beds and bags.

Easier break down. This thing was even easier to break down than it was to set up. We read that people had difficulty fitting the tent back in the bag, but we had no issues the two times we've put it in and I imagine it'll get easier as the tent breaks in. It does help to have two people roll up the tent and hold the bag closed while the other zips it.

Airflow. The entire roof is screened and the tent has large windows on each side so there's good airflow when the rainfly is off. It is a bit stifling once the rainfly is up, but that's to be expected with any tent in hot weather.

Cons:
Tent stakes. This comes with flimsy metal stakes for the tent and cheap plastic stakes for the rainfly. The metal stakes can bend out of shape if you aren't careful with how and where you stake them. The rainfly stakes were harder to pull out of the ground and would probably hold up better in windy weather, but one of our plastic stakes got all sorts of twisted when it was knocked in the ground. I suggest purchasing good quality tent stakes for the tent and rainfly. You'll need 10 for the tent and 6 for the rainfly, plus a could of extras just in case.

Not yet reviewed/experienced:
Waterproofing. We didn't have any rain while we camped, so I can't say how well this tent keeps out water, but all of the seams looked good and well put together. I'll update this once we've camped in the rain.

Suggested items to bring with you:
Tarps to set the tent up on to protect the bottom.
Horse or packing blankets for the inside floor of the tent.
Small broom and dust pan to clean out the tent before packing it up.
Small battery operated lantern to hang from the tent ceiling.
review image review image review image
on August 25, 2011
Color Name: BrownVerified Purchase
We bought this tent to replace our old tent that we had used for years. Our family is growing so we needed more room. After reading SEVERAL reviews, we decided to go with the Coleman Weathermaster 10. We love this tent! My husband is 6'6" tall and is very comfortable in this tent. We can fit 2 queen-size air mattresses, one pack-n-play crib, and 2 suitcases in this tent with ease. The first time we used this tent, it rained the first night we were camping. The weather was extremely hot and humid. We had a few drops come into the tent but we don't know if it was from the rain or just condensation from the hot, humid weather then the quick cool-down from the rain. On our second camping trip, it rained hard for an hour or so and not one drop leaked through. There are "pockets" in the corners to put your small items (cell phones, reading glasses, paperwork, etc.) and there is an electrical wire entry way in the back. We love that we can take off the top and can see outside through an all-mesh top. Even with the top on the tent, there was great air flow through the tent. There are several windows that provide plenty of air flow. One of the things we liked about this tent is the door. We love the hinged door. It makes it really easy when you have young kids going in and out frequently. Honestly, we think the door helped cut down on the insects entering the tent as well. The door closes on it's own just like a regular door. It is also quiet when you are trying to sleep and others are going in and out. The tent was easy to put up and take down. Color coded poles and the instructions sewn into the storage bag make it easy to construct. Getting the folded tent back into the bag provided can a bit of a job, though. We decided to put our tent poles in separate bag and that gave us room to get the tent into the storage bag a little easier. We would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this tent to anyone!
on April 18, 2014
Color Name: BrownVerified Purchase
Well this is my initial review. I plan to come back and do another review after we have used it more than once.

First off photo 1 shown on amazon is the front of the tent. The door shown in this first photo is the front door that is hinged. The second photo is of the backside of the same tent but the back door is just zippered. Photo 2 also shows the little diagonal light color tent material close to the bottom on the left that conceals the little zipper to allow cords to run in and out of the tent. The tent I received did not have the little dog door show in photo 3 on the amazon page. Photo 4 is pretty accurate of what it looks like all set up. In my opinion photo 4 shows the fabric more realistically. It is thin shinny tent material not flat thick material the way it appears to me in the other photos. Now that we got that out of the way on to my experience of setting it up and using it.

I ordered this for a Cub Scout campout. I went (5'4 female 30's) with two kids under 10. My husband had to work. The tent arrived on Friday thanks to awesome Amazon Prime shipping. We were leaving Saturday for the campout. I opened the box and went right to work. I set it up in the backyard all on my own (with help with one step from a 5 year old). The instructions were pretty clear. They are included on one white sheet of some sort of waterproof paper or material permanently attached to the tent bag. It was a windy day not heavy winds but gusty. It took me about an hour to unpack it for the first time, read the directions, watch a few seconds of a you tube video (while I was stuck), and set it up. Actual work time could have been greatly reduced but I made on error and it ate up a LOT of my time. So here is the error.

On the instruction sheet it clearly says to put the pole marked with the red tape in the slot on the tent that is sewn in red...easy. Next put the remaining poles in the other slots at the top of the tent. Well here is where I had trouble. The tent was laying on the ground staked out at the corners but the bulk of the tent fabric was all piled up in the middle. I found another slot that looked just like the red one but it was sewn in black and put in the tent pole in and connected all of the pieces and tried to stand it up. No luck it would not stand up and fit in the pin-and-ring thing AT ALL it was like the fabric was two small or tight. I worked and worked and worked with it before I figured out that there was one slot sewn with red, two with black, and two with silver/gray (harder to see in the piled up mess of tent material). That important bit of information (that there were two other sets of slots and not just one) was not in my instructions so basically once I realized there was another choice it went right up. The black slots are not for the metal poles at all but are used later for black fiberglass shock poles. So that was my error and maybe it will save someone else some trouble for me to admit my silly mistake.

Once the tent was standing I finished up the last bits of initial set up and it was done. Now I wanted to try to put of the rain fly myself. Remember I am going with just the two kids no hubby this time. The tent is very tall and I am not very tall. So I tried and tried to put the rain fly on but with the wind gusts it just kept blowing off before I could get it all the way on the tent. So here is were I used the 5 year old. She is very helpful but not very tall and we were able to get it on with only a few attempts working together. After it was "on" I still had to stake it out. Then it was done!! It is very nice and big!! So my intention was to go ahead and apply to Camp Dry and Seam Grip that I purchased. Because we were expecting rain. Well once I read the can it said it took 24-48 hours to dry WHAT? Oh not I didn't have that much time. I called Kiwi (SC Johnson) to ask them if I should spray or not spray and we decided together not to risk it not being dry in time. So off I went to camp without camp dry in the rain. Now I have to tell you that last Cub Scout campout we barrowed a tent and it rained a LOT and we got wet. So knowing it was going to rain again and I was going to be in a new untested tent with two kids this time not just one was stressful. I took the tent down packed it up with a tiny bit of help from hubby (not needed just nice to have :)). The next morning we headed to camp.

Once we arrived we found a spot with the least rocks, put down the tarp, and set up the tent. I had a little help from some of our Scout family and we got it up pretty quick (wish I would have timed it). In the night there was wind in gusts and some rain and we stayed dry and the tent held up great! Now this was light rain and not sustained. I was pleased. I took down the tent (again with scout family help) packed it up wet in the mild rain and headed home. We set it up in the backyard with the intention of cleaning it and then applying the Camp Dry and Seam Grip. I was able to clean it but the next few days were VERY windy so I couldn't spray the tent. We did get to see how it held up to more rain (harder rain this time) and pretty beating winds. We finally took it down early on day three of it being up in the yard. I wish we would have taken it down earlier because I am sure all of that wind was not good for it. It took a beating and was still in good condition. I gave it the once over and found one small spot I would call a stretch mark that might leak at one of the tent bottom corners that attaches to the ring for the stake. I will be sure to apply Seam Grip there.

We are planning to put it up again when it is not so windy to apply the Camp Dry and Seam Grip. I will update this review when we try it again.

I just wanted to mention one more thing. I went to Home Depot and got some free sample squares of carpet (they were discontinuing this carpet) to put under the bottom of each camp cot leg. I plan to really protect the bottom to try and keep it in good condition. I do not want to get wet again like I did in the barrowed tent. No shoes and something under heavy objects. Hoping that helps.
on April 4, 2011
Color Name: Brown
Just bought this tent 3/2011 from amazon for $200 And I love it. Haven't set up a tent in 25yrs, and was able to set it up in 30 mph wind in about 30 minutes. Later in the day, 40 mph gusts and Heavy rain 1+ inches an hour at times, with no seam or weather proofing, And this tent held true to its name weather master. Sealers are not required with this tent it is already done from Coleman. Says it on the box don't waste money on useless sealers, Just do your job set the tent up right. without sagging and wrinkled floors. Make sure the rain fly is not touching the screen roof of the tent and you should have no problems. HAPPY CAMPING
on June 12, 2012
Color Name: BrownVerified Purchase
First I must mention that every other amazon purchase has been excellent, this one, horrible. Adjustable airflo is a ventilation control small window on the side of tent. All the pictures show this small window on the side but when I received first tent, the sides were all just tent material and no adjustable airflo small window on the tent. Plus seems were already pulling apart. Contacted amazon and they immediately sent me replacement. Great, wrong! The second tent also did not have the adjustable airflo window window on the side of the tent. Look at the pictures and you can see the small window at the bottom of the side. In other tents, this small window makes a difference with ventilation. You are not getting the product that is advertized. Both tents are the worst quality I have ever seen. And I have been happy in the past with coleman tents but I think they are now being made in China and the quality now is just plain horrible. I had such high hopes for this tent and was so eager to use it and both times I received what appears to be a knock off tent. It just seems extremely poorly made. Maybe coleman is also getting duped here but please please, if you happend to purchase this tent, verify all features are on the tent and if the seems appear to be loose, consider yourself soaked if it rains while your in it. Went to REI and purchased a copper canyon. Quality difference was immediate. I will never buy a coleman tent again, especially if they are now being made in china I wonder how many people have purchased this tent and never realized that they received a bootleg version of the actual product. Coleman please correct this issue or just start making them back here again. Horrible, horrible tent. At least amazon let me return both tents.
on June 6, 2012
Color Name: BrownVerified Purchase
We purchased this tent last year in March because our 20 year old tent couldn't withstand the wet weather of camping on spring break. We used it immediately after purchase for a period of 4 days last year.

We just got back from a week of camping and our second use of this tent. Up until the point of disassembling our campsite, I would have given this tent a 4-5 star rating. The setup was a breeze! Myself and two boys (9 and 11) set it up in under 30 minutes! Wow! It's spacious, relatively cool (We are in Florida) and my VERY tall husband (6'7") can mostly stand up in the middle. It comfortably holds the 4 of us (queen air mattress and two twin mattresses) and all of our stuff (junk) with room to walk around and sit in the middle and play cards. Despite MULTIPLE rainstorms and absolutely NO weatherproofing whatsoever, we remained almost completely dry inside. The side seams did leak slightly, and the rainfly-roof did have one spot where the water slowly dripped in during the rain, however, in 36 hours of constant and sometimes torrential rain, we didn't have enough water inside the tent to even wet one bath towel fully. A quick swipe on the floor and we were dry. I consider that to be a pretty darn weatherproof tent!! I already had designs on using a seam-sealer on it so next trip would be completely dry!

But during dis-assembly of the tent, one of the tent peg loops (of course, one of the corners) ripped completely off the tent. Right on the stitching. I contacted Coleman, and because it was purchased 15 months ago, it is no longer under warranty. Their advice? Find a window awning shop and see if they can reattach it. I'm pretty handy, so I'm going to attempt the reattachment myself with a needle and heavy-duty thread, but in over 20 years of camping (many of those with the same old tent) I have NEVER had a tent peg rip off. And Coleman's response was completely unacceptable. -- Particularly for a slightly older than one year old tent that was used 2x.

Hopefully, I will be able to make the repairs.