4.0 out of 5 stars Coleman 2 burner propane camp stove

1.0 out of 5 stars What a piece of junk
Published on September 3, 2011 by R. Chawes

4.0 out of 5 stars Coleman 2 burner propane camp stove, July 17, 2006
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
This review is based on a very limited use of this product, as it is new and the need for using it is not great. The stove is nicely designed and easy to set up. The gas feed tube screws onto the gas cylinder and then into the right side of the stove. Because of the design, only the squat 16.4 oz. tanks are usable, though it may be possible to obtain an adapter and hose to run the stove from refillable tanks. The proper disposable tank will not fit into the stove cabinet for travel, so fuel cylinders must be carried separately. This may be a problem for those who need maximum compactness. The throw-away cylinders may be undesireable for those who are carrying their equipment into remote regions that have no trash pickup service.

The stove lights easily with a match or other device and it meets my needs for heat output. The stove was purchased to allow flexibility during the time that our kitchen is remodeled. It was also bought as a backup cooking device, should we have an electrical outage. So far, so good. Amazon was good to its word on shipping and product description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman Stove, August 23, 2006
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
Just wanted a small reliable unit for occasional camping trips; it is very compact, throws out plenty of heat; Pros are good price, brand name. Cons: not being able to store the propane bottle inside the box like older camping stoves, and you need a match or lighter. Other pricier models have ignitors built in. I like this item!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking at home paid for the stove, January 9, 2007
James Arnold (Port Angeles, Wa. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
I purchased this stove because of the frequent power failures we have had the last two months. This stove cooks food faster than our electric stove and has paid for itself by us not having to go out to eat. It is easy to use and gives us comfort knowing it is available should we need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a piece of junk, September 3, 2011
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
I bought this Coleman product remembering my great camping experiences with white gas stoves and lanterns. As soon as I opened the box I knew I was in trouble. This stove is made out of cheap, easily dented metal. I unlatched the lid and the top would not come free. It was so tightly held, I thought there was a secret catch some where. I finally took a screw driver and popped the lid. It was being caught in the right front corner by the edge of the aluminum catch tray which was not formed
correctly and slid in on top of the rolled lip of the cover. The next thing I noticed was that three of the four pop rivets for the cover side of the hinges were broken off and the cover was "flapping in the breeze".
I was about to go on a long camping trip and really needed this stove, otherwise I would have returned it in a heartbeat. I re secured the cover with stainless pop rivets, but no matter how I tried to tweak the catch tray edge I could not get it to stop catching on the closed cover. I elected to take the tray out to see how to bend it down better. Well the tray is held in by two of the softest snap rings I ever encountered. These hold the tray down by locking in grooves on the two burner tubes. These rings were stretched and distorted as soon as I expanded them. This made me wonder, if some soup or spaghetti water overflowed it would drain into the very bottom of the case because the splash tray has big holes in it. Coleman provides no easy way to remove the tray for cleaning
I fashioned some spacers from 3/4" copper water pipe that slid over the tubes so screwing the burners on pushes down on them and also the tray. Duh! coleman couldn't think of this! I finally had to cut the corners of the tray with a tin snip to keep it from catching. Oh yeah, I've seen paper clips thicker than the little metal wires that hold the wind wings in place. Run away from this model
fast. My credentials? Twenty- one years propane and HVAC technician.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cokleman 2 burner stove, September 18, 2011
birdie (Northern NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
Surprised at the poor quality. Not like the old coleman stoves. One hinge was completely loose due to 2 rivets pulled out. The whole thing is rivited together. The only thing that resembles anything like the old Coleman stoves is the color. Very poorly put together and very flimsy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works for smaller needs..., June 11, 2006
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
We have this, but with a larger family, it is really slow going. Doing a LOT of food on a campout with lots of kids and hungry people -- you'll be cooking for a long time. Go for an item with higher BTU's that you can just crank up and get it done.... With a couple of people, okay to use, but it does take time to even just heat water. Plan for heat it up dishes that don't need cooking time.

1.0 out of 5 stars coleman stove, June 12, 2011
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
I have owned three of these stoves over the years. i gave the first two to my kids and ordered this model. The windscreens are cheaply, made, fall off the stove which then doesnt support the rear screen. Once closed it required a hunting knife to open because the inner deck stuck to the lid. The right burner worked fine but the left burner flamed inefficiently.

I feel this stove is a piece of junk and Coleman ought to feel ashamed of the sheet metal worksmanship on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Others are right. Try lowering the flame and it turns itself back up, July 26, 2011
This is what I've just sent to Coleman customer service:
I recently used my son's new Perfect Flow Two-Burner Propane stove. I wanted to try it before buying one of my own. He warned me that it is impossible to adjust the flame and that it remains on high even after turning the knob to low.
He was correct.
When the adjustment knob is turned to the left to lower the flame it very briefly does just that, but as soon as you let go of the knob it quickly turns back to the right on its own and raises the flame -- as if its spring-loaded and the spring re-coils.
This is fine for boiling water.
It does not work for frying eggs, etc.
Because I had a toolbox in the car, I was able to maintain a lower flame with an extreme jerry-rig using vice grips attached to the fuel-flow knob and a heavy adjustible wrench to rest against the vice grips to keep them from moving, thus keeping the knob from turning back to the right and increasing the flame.
I find that to be excessive effort.
I have read various reviews online, including here, and it seems others have found the same problem. Then again, many others give it positive reviews.

I want to buy a camp stove and I otherwise like the Coleman. But I do not care to go through that effort every time.

My questions: Are you aware of these problems? Have you done anything about it?
Can I purchase a model that I can be sure allows for heat adjustment from simmer to full flame?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, November 3, 2006
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
We go camping 10-20 times a year and this item was one of the best buy I have ever made. It reliable and durable. The stove isn't a new model but works just the same if not better. Anyone looking to find a GREAT BUY this would be it. You will not regreat it. We didn't!!! =-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality stove, September 8, 2011
This review is from: Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove (Sports)
The first "Perfectflow" stove I bought would not maintain the gas flow rate. It was either on full or off. So much for "Perfectflow". I sent it back for a replacement. On the second stove, I could not even open the lid, despite pulling very hard. Coleman either can't make a quality stove or has zero quality control. I will never purchase another Coleman product again. What a big waste of time! That's too bad, since I have a Peak 1 stove from the early 1980's that still works just fine.

Coleman Two-Burner Propane Stove