5.0 out of 5 stars MADE IN USA
USA made product.
Wanted one for a long time but didn't want to spend the money.
Finally found a red one on Amazon on sale for $89.95, through Target.com.
Worth every cent.
Keeps ice much longer than cheap plastic coolers.
Solidly built. You get what you pay for.
USA, USA, USA!
Published on July 21, 2011 by Sebastian Stacey

2.0 out of 5 stars they don't make them like they used to!
if you asked me last year, i would have given this 5 stars, but since we've been using it on camping trips it has failed miserably.

i used to go camping as a child with my father with the old, bombproof coleman cooler. it was extremely well made & lasted for years. it is someplace in my brother's garage.

the old lid was held down by a metal hook that...
Published on September 30, 2007 by DancesWithWoofs

2.0 out of 5 stars they don't make them like they used to!, September 30, 2007
This review is from: Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler (Sports)

the old lid was held down by a metal hook that cinched the lid tight & sealed it well. the "new, improved latch" is a thin cylinder that slides into a spring tentioned plastic groove in the lid. problem is the lid pops open with a tug and even worse if it gets knocked over when full.

the old design has a screw drain plug attached by a chain. the new design has a plastic cork-like stopper that can (and will) get popped open when placed into an suv full of gear (drenching the back of your car during the long trip). what was wrong with the screw drain plug? it stayed in place & never opened... even through the roughest of conditions.

they also removed the built-in bottle opener that used to be in the handle mounts.

i'm now looking on ebay for the old coleman cooler or looking to find metal latches to replace the stupid closure they have on it. i'm also looking at epoxying a guard over the drain plug so that it won't get unexpectedly dislodged.

it looks great, but they really ruined the design with all these "improvement".

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, August 24, 2009
This review is from: Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler (Sports)
After looking forward to receiving a quality cooler, I was very disappointed with the Coleman Steel Belted Chest Cooler (54-Quart). The latch did not function properly in that it was not possible to secure a tight seal. Nevertheless I took the cooler on an outing for a week in which it was kept inside a cabin where the outdoor Tempaerture did not go above 90 degrees and the evening temperature dropped into the high 60's. Everyday the cooler needed a new bag of ice because all the ice would melt in less than a 24-hour period. Coleman has quality control problems as some of the reviews rate this cooler well and others low. If given the option, I would rate this Coleman cooler with a 1/2 star and that is only because of its fine looking appearance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plastic in a metal wrapper, January 11, 2007
I had hoped to be buying the same cooler my family had when I was growing up -- nearly indestructible steel. This coleman is made to look like that cooler, but it is just a plastic ice chest with a thin sheet metal skin on the sides and top. I was disappointed, but it is still better than a standard plastic cooler. If you get it on sale (I paid $50) it's worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars looks great.......but functionality is terrible, hinges break, February 4, 2010
Many people have probably written reviews after having this great looking cooler for about a week and maybe one good tailgate. Yes you get comments on the look, but as I have read previously this thing is terrible. It does not stay latched, so why it has a metal latch on the front is beyond me. The drain plug does pop open fairly easily and at unwanted times. Why didn't they make this with the screw on type plug? Who knows! I've had this for about 2.5 years. I don't use it heavily by any means, probably less than 10 times a year, but the hinges on the lid have started to separate after about 5-10 uses. Almost like the lid is too heavy for the hinges and they are now bending. I am not impressed and I would not suggest buying this cooler. Plus, the price has gone up from $100 to $150 in a couple years.....that is ridiculous. If you really need a metal cooler buy an old coleman on ebay, they blow this junk out of the water.

Also, ice doesn't last more than about 8 hours in this. If you need to keep stuff cold for days then buy and Igloo Marine!

5.0 out of 5 stars MADE IN USA, July 21, 2011
USA made product.
Wanted one for a long time but didn't want to spend the money.
Finally found a red one on Amazon on sale for $89.95, through Target.com.
Worth every cent.
Keeps ice much longer than cheap plastic coolers.
Solidly built. You get what you pay for.
USA, USA, USA!

4.0 out of 5 stars If only it had casters, July 21, 2007
D. Hodgson (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler (Sports)
This product works like a charm and looks great. It will indeed keep ice for three days, and it's good company on any road trip. However, lugging the thing back and forth between car and hotel is a chore that could have been solved with a pair of small luggage casters. Also, the rubberized draing plugs are merely a pressure-fit; I fear that these may leak one day and then it's bam, ice water all over the back seat.

5.0 out of 5 stars No household should be without!, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler (Sports)
This cooler will last a lifetime! It is so well made, sealed tight. It held ice for days and days! Whether you are a diehard camper or even just a party on your back deck this cooler is worth every penny.... Trust me!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, poor insulation., August 28, 2007
TSG (Franklin, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler (Sports)
When Coleman designed this cooler, they left off a way to stop the lid from opening past 90-ish degrees. This results in the lid opening about 180 degrees, which stresses the hinges, and breaks the outer stainless layer away from the inner insulation. I have been through two lids, and now the body of the cooler is breaking away the same way. Yes, it does have a 100 year warranty, but I bought expecting the same build quality as my grandfather's that is 60 years old. There is just no comparison.

Coleman also says it will keep ice for 3 days at 100 degrees. This couldn't be further from the truth. It will not hold ice for 24 hours at 85 degrees.

Bottom line: Buy a good Igloo marine cooler, and use the extra $70 to fill it with your beverage of choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars big waste of money, September 9, 2008
If your the type of person that thinks you get what you pay for DO NOT BUY THIS!!! I paid over $100 on a cooler because I wanted a heavy duty one that I could latch shut. The latch was the main selling point for me because I wanted to take it on canoe trips and not worry about the lid coming open in case of a tip over. At first it seemed to work just fine, until I loaded it up then the weight rendered the latch useless.(I tested another one at the store same thing, its just a bad design) I contacted the coleman company which i must say there customer service was so bad I don't even want to start to try explaining the frustration they put me through. I was told to mail in the defective latch(at my cost) I did and after 8weeks still no word from them. When I finally got a hold of them I was told that I should of never sent the latch in. Finally I got them to agree to giving me a refund. I mailed the cooler with a copy of my receipt to them 6weeks ago and I have not heard a word from them, whenever I call there I get put on hold for 15 min then sent to a voicemail box that is full. A few more things to point out, the steel that surrounds this is very thin and cheap, and the logo on the lower right hand corner was poorly installed and falling off when I took it out of the box. Bottom line I paid a lot for a cheap cooler then they really stuck it to me when I sent it back to them and didn't get my refund.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, May 12, 2009
CO Camper (Westcliffe, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler (Sports)
I just purchased the 54 quart stainless steel belted chest cooler. The lid latch does not hold the lid down tight and there is no tray in the cooler like the old ones. I am quite disappointed with the product.

Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler, Stainless-Steel Finish
$219.99 $138.11
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies