Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

• Customer Reviews

on September 30, 2007
if you asked me last year, i would have given this 5 stars, but since we've been using it on camping trips it has failed miserably.

i used to go camping as a child with my father with the old, bombproof coleman cooler. it was extremely well made & lasted for years. it is someplace in my brother's garage.

the old lid was held down by a metal hook that cinched the lid tight & sealed it well. the "new, improved latch" is a thin cylinder that slides into a spring tentioned plastic groove in the lid. problem is the lid pops open with a tug and even worse if it gets knocked over when full.

the old design has a screw drain plug attached by a chain. the new design has a plastic cork-like stopper that can (and will) get popped open when placed into an suv full of gear (drenching the back of your car during the long trip). what was wrong with the screw drain plug? it stayed in place & never opened... even through the roughest of conditions.

they also removed the built-in bottle opener that used to be in the handle mounts.

i'm now looking on ebay for the old coleman cooler or looking to find metal latches to replace the stupid closure they have on it. i'm also looking at epoxying a guard over the drain plug so that it won't get unexpectedly dislodged.

it looks great, but they really ruined the design with all these "improvement".
1717 comments357 of 365 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2009
After looking forward to receiving a quality cooler, I was very disappointed with the Coleman Steel Belted Chest Cooler (54-Quart). The latch did not function properly in that it was not possible to secure a tight seal. Nevertheless I took the cooler on an outing for a week in which it was kept inside a cabin where the outdoor Tempaerture did not go above 90 degrees and the evening temperature dropped into the high 60's. Everyday the cooler needed a new bag of ice because all the ice would melt in less than a 24-hour period. Coleman has quality control problems as some of the reviews rate this cooler well and others low. If given the option, I would rate this Coleman cooler with a 1/2 star and that is only because of its fine looking appearance.
0Comment124 of 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2007
When Coleman designed this cooler, they left off a way to stop the lid from opening past 90-ish degrees. This results in the lid opening about 180 degrees, which stresses the hinges, and breaks the outer stainless layer away from the inner insulation. I have been through two lids, and now the body of the cooler is breaking away the same way. Yes, it does have a 100 year warranty, but I bought expecting the same build quality as my grandfather's that is 60 years old. There is just no comparison.

Coleman also says it will keep ice for 3 days at 100 degrees. This couldn't be further from the truth. It will not hold ice for 24 hours at 85 degrees.

Bottom line: Buy a good Igloo marine cooler, and use the extra $70 to fill it with your beverage of choice.
22 comments43 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2009
I just purchased the 54 quart stainless steel belted chest cooler. The lid latch does not hold the lid down tight and there is no tray in the cooler like the old ones. I am quite disappointed with the product.
0Comment27 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2007
These arent quite as good as the 50's-70's steel coleman models which were built sturdier using more and thicker metal. if you have a vintage coleman hang onto it i have a few that have been handed down a few generations and made it to me threw the family line they work great and are very durable. i just bought the new steel belted cooler which is a modern version of the vintage colemans it is not compareable. not built as well, not as sturdy and a little pricey. however in comparison to any all plastic cooler made there isnt any. by the way the stainless steel one is only $89.00 at walmart if your looking to save some money, my personal reccomendation is go yardsaling and pick up a vintage steel belted cooler for 5 bucks.
on July 21, 2007
This product works like a charm and looks great. It will indeed keep ice for three days, and it's good company on any road trip. However, lugging the thing back and forth between car and hotel is a chore that could have been solved with a pair of small luggage casters. Also, the rubberized draing plugs are merely a pressure-fit; I fear that these may leak one day and then it's bam, ice water all over the back seat.
0Comment22 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2008
We bought this on Amazon about a year ago and have been very happy. We like it so much we are going to buy a second one. We have a tear drop camp trailer. The stainless matches to tear drop stainless and keeps with the retro look.

LOOKS? This is one of those coolers that people comment on and we get questions about on occasion because it is cool looking.

We go on short and sometimes extended camping trips. Last year this cooler consistently out performed our other plastic cooler. The SS Coleman with a single bag of ice keeps everything (milk, eggs, veggies, etc) cold for over a week easily. We do take precautions to keep it in the shade, but you should do that anyway.

We have found it durable, the lid closes tight, and have had no problems with the hinges, handles or anything else.

We are very satisfied with it and would recommend.
on January 11, 2007
This cooler will last a lifetime! It is so well made, sealed tight. It held ice for days and days! Whether you are a diehard camper or even just a party on your back deck this cooler is worth every penny.... Trust me!!!!!
on November 19, 2014
That is what this cooler is like......... because when you walk into a room (or campsite), and this cooler is there, you just have to look at it. It's sooooo darned sexy !!

OK, so we have had ours about seven years or so. We bought it when we were still tent camping, and now we use it with our pop-up camper. We could not be much happier with any cooler. You need to make one improvement as soon as you buy this, but it's so inexpensive, I still have to give this 5 stars. I'd give it 6 if I could. Go to your nearest big box home improvement store and buy a small roll of white adhesive backed 1/4" X 1/4" foam gasket by Frost King or similar manufacturer. Clean the groove in the lid with a solvent like Mineral spirits or similar. Peel the backing off the gasket and stick the gasket into the groove in the lid, working your way around to the back where you started. Cut the gasket so its essentially one continuous seal, leaving as small of a gap between start and finish as possible. Now when you close the lid you will have a virtually air tight seal.

We go camping a week, or sometimes eight days at a time. Before we leave I go to the grocery store and buy 2 five lb. pieces of block ice to put in the bottom. If you have the freezer space, you could make some block ice at home and save the 4 or 5 bucks. After placing the block ice one either side of the bottom of the cooler, I add our weeks worth of food.... bacon, dogs, burgers, bacon, milk, butter, bacon, steak, bacon, you name it ! Then on top of the food I add regular ice, which I make at home, though sometimes we buy it bagged at the store. This cooler keeps ice 8 days or more this way....... no kidding ! I'm so completely impressed. I have left the cooler closed after returning home and had some of the block ice still in it over 9 days.

Yes, I also grew up camping with a 1960s original steel belted Coleman cooler and, yes, I'll admit the quality of the vintage coolers was better. Thicker steel, better latch, screw on O-ringed drain cap, and built in bottle opener. Believe me, I will get that ole Coleman from my big brother one day !! It will be mine...... oh yes, it will be mine !!! But the reality is, the 'new' steel belted coolers are what we can go out and buy today, and this one is great. Get it in stainless steel and it will be guaranteed never to shrink, stink, wrinkle or rust !
on March 9, 2015
They don't make 'em like they used to! And I mean that! I never write reviews but I feel compelled to do so, because if you are like me you are probably buying this cooler based on the thought that, like the steel Coleman coolers of years past, they last forever. I have a friend whose parents have a Coleman Steel cooler from the '70's that they still have, that is in fabulous shape. I bought this cooler thinking I would not need to purchase another cooler for years, maybe more. Boy, was I ever wrong. This cooler is horribly made. I purchased it in 2013, and after about a month the latch began rusting and palling apart, and in a few months broke altogether, and now the latch does not close at all. The "steel belted" idea is a joke. There is a seam in the back where the steel comes together that has buckled, and now the part where the steel meets the plastic black bottom of the cooler no longer meets. We have tried to pop it back into place to no avail. The lid of the cooler is now coming apart, and you can see where the insulation in nothing more than a little bit of plastic and foam. I guess I'll be gluing the lid back on pretty soon, as it looks like the plastic top on the inside will come apart completely from the metal top at any time now. I'll also say that we take great care of our things, and this cooler has in no way been abused or mistreated, it is just very poorly made, and nothing like the Coleman Steel coolers of the past. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on this item. I sure wish I hadn't. It's only about 2 years old and I need a new cooler already.