5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman 62-Quart Cooler is GREAT!!
Published on March 20, 2007 by Marlon Arrechavala

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice options, not great on performance
We were looking for a cooler to start camping with, and the features and reviews convinced us to go with this one, though we actually wound up purchasing it at Kmart. Since I always go to Amazon to get product reviews, I try to always leave one as well--even if we dont end up buying from Amazon.

The features on this cooler are atractive, especially for 2 person...
Published on November 21, 2010 by Queen Merla

5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman 62-Quart Cooler is GREAT!!, March 20, 2007
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
This was a fantastic buy! My friends and I went camping a few weekends ago and all had to buy coolers. All of their coolers were full of water with barely any ice left by the morning of the second day! (Saturday). Meanwhile, our cooler (Coleman 62-Quart) was still full of ice on Sunday when we were packing to come back home. I highly recommend this cooler!! I couldn't have been happier with it! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect All-Around Cooler, June 24, 2009
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
I love this cooler; I load it with one or two 10lb blocks of ice and two 10lb bags of ice, go out for three or four days, and I end up coming home with ice for the next trip! It is the perfect size if you want big but still want to (barely) lift it yourself. I don't know why anyone buys a cooler without wheels anymore. You do have to treat the handles and hinges with a reasonable amount of care but this thing rocks. I couldn't be happier. People sit on it and it still rolls and works. By design, the wheels are ever so slightly lifted off the ground when you sit on it which saves the axle from bending! The bungee cord option is cool. There is a lot of experience wrapped up into the design of this cooler. The Ulimate Extreme cooler a step up from this loses a LOT of capacity inside for the thickness of it's walls. I definitely prefer this model line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband HATES buying ice, October 1, 2006
Betty Niepoth (Chico, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
We no longer have to worry about buying ice evry other day. This cooler is the best, it DOES keep ice for 5 (or more days) we have come home with some of the ice we started with. (camping usually 7-10 days and will buy ice once more) We purchased the larger ( 82 qt.?)one, now going to buy the smaller (62 qt) one too, and throw our other "non-xtreme" away.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice options, not great on performance, November 21, 2010
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)

The features on this cooler are atractive, especially for 2 person camping. It is a nice size, and can hold 4 days worth of food for 2, which means you spend more time on vacation, and less in the supermarket. The handle & wheels are nice, and seemed like it could handle decent usage. As others have said, do make sure you drain the water periodically, so as to avoid additional strain when moving the cooler. The one feature it is missing is a shelf to keep things like cold cuts, that cant get wet, out of the water. However, tupperware can also serve this purpose--just not as convienently as a removable shelf would have.

Now to the negatives. First, I understand when they do these tests they have "optimal" conditions. They leave the cooler in the shade, they dont open it at all (this is a big one) and they put one giagantic block of ice in there, with no food and as one solid mass. All these things enable it to stay ice longer, so at the end of 5 days they can say it keeps ice for 5 days.

That said, even taking those conditions into account, I am not sure how they got ice to last 5 days in this. We were camping in September, and the temprature ranged from 40-85, with it only being 85 one day, we were also camping in the deep shade. We had pretty solid 50% ice meltage every day. We were also 2 adults, so we weren't contantly opening the cooler for sodas and things like kids would have. Also, the way we store meat is to freeze it in tupperware in our freezer at home, and put it in the bottom of the cooler; thus, some of the food is actually acting as additional ice. Now, I do want to say that we had 4 days of meat in there, had no spoilage, and the meat didn't defrost until we wanted it to--but, we did have to add ice every day. Not a huge thing, but it would have been better if we could have gone at least 2 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't ever buy a different cooler again!, June 1, 2008
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
Love this cooler and can't imagine ever buying a different brand again! We hardly had to buy any ice on our 8-day camping/road-trip - great not to have to worry about our food going bad! However, it is available for $40 at Kmart - $25 savings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than your average cooler, September 17, 2008
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
My girlfriend and I purchased this cooler before going out to Burning Man. We were looking for a cooler that could withstand 90+ degree temperatures during the day. I'm happy to say the Coleman Xtreme passed the test.

We had a non-Extreme cooler on hand as well which had drinks while the Extreme had food in it. After 1 day the ice in the older cooler had mostly melted. While there was some melting in the Extreme every bag of ice we put in still had ice in it. Even after 5 days one of the bags we put in that was near the bottom still had ice in it.

None of our food spoiled and the cooler was noticeably colder than the older cooler we had. Next year I'll be buying another Extreme cooler so our drinks can stay just as cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works For Me..., August 24, 2008
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
I must admit that I didn't get this cooler from Amazon, it was given to me. I live in Florida and we just had a close brush with Tropical Storm Fay. On Monday morning, I put two 20lb bags of ice cubes in along with some pre-chilled milk, OJ and other items just in case. At worst I figured that I'd find out if the cooler was any good. As I write this, it is 10 o'clock Sunday evening and there is still three to four lbs of ice and a good deal of ice water in there. I added NO ice and there was NO leakage. So, does the cooler do what it says I'll do? You betcha! Do I recommend it? Yes I do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great medium cooler., June 16, 2010
Bishmaya "Bismayah" (So. California City, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
The Coleman 62-Quart is the perfect size. It arrived quickly, initially I was worried, it seemed a cheap cooler. The hinges are so scary in that they are like a Tupperware Lid the hinges are plastic, I can see how a great deal of hard use might bend them through. However, with that being said. I found it really GREAT! I put it to use the very first day. Two bags of ice, items from the frig, and off for a three day trip to AZ. Never took it out of the SUV, it sat in over 100 degree weather in the vehicle! Didn't leak either, the 3rd day ice was still in it, 50 percent melted, but I never replaced the ice, and it was still nice and cold by the time I got home. I really was surprised how long it kept the ice. I think it's excellent. It's nice to know it lasts so long, so well. Never needed to pull it, the handles worked fine to place it in the SUV, never removed it once it was full, filled it while it was inside the vehicle. Roomy enough for us. It is worth it's price, plus being delivered to my door versus driving to the nearest department store 35 miles away! Very pleased. I do recommend this product. Just wish the company had given more thought to the hinges!

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived intact, unlike the one shipped by Sears, Worked great on long road trip, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
I thought since Sears was cheaper, even with Amazon's free shipping, that I would be okay ordering from Sears. Well, they slapped the shipping stuff on the cooler lid and shipped it without any packing or protective plastic. Not surprisingly, it arrived without wheels (not even in the cooler, just completely missing) and filthy with transport dirt. Amazon boxed the cooler and it arrived in perfect condition. The wheels seem have a metal rod connecting them that looks like it pops into a channel; there's nothing additional holding them in. Update on Sears - took me a month and a half to go through the process of returning and getting my money refunded. I would never recommend using Sears - I couldn't return the cooler to my local store because they couldn't bring the order up on the register, so I had to ship it back and get that money refunded.

On using the cooler: I took the cooler on a long road trip, 5 days east, 5 days back. Leaving home, I filled the cooler with some frozen food, chilled food, cold drinks, ice blocks made using plastic storage containers (8-cup) and some frozen water bottles and a zipper bag of ice cubes. It worked quite well, even though I was in it frequently during the day for drinks and food and never removed it from the car, which meant it was in a hot car with no windows cracked in the mornings. Every night I would chill drinks in the motel fridge and add them to the cooler. When I arrived, it was still working so I didn't unload the cooler for a couple days and still dumped ice. I wrapped the cooler in heavy freezer foil wrap to help keep heat off it, which probably helped a little, even if it did look a bit odd, plus I keep a window sun shield over the cooler.

Coming home, I didn't have the big storage containers to make ice, but I used smaller ones to make ice blocks and packed them together in gallon freezer zipper bags. I also filled another gallon freezer zipper bag of ice cubes. I threw in a gallon zipper bag of ice from motels most mornings so I'd have fresh ice for drinks. After 8 days of use I emptied the cooler, and there was still a lot of ice left, even some of the ice blocks. The last 3 days it was in the car in the garage and not opened, but otherwise it was opened frequently as I traveled.

I do have tricks that I use: I always put ice in freezer zipper bags (ice would cut holes in thinner bags, and still pricks these), which helps keep the ice colder longer, and also reduces water in the bottom of the cooler. I always use ice blocks if I can, and making them is easy with plastic storage containers - just don't fill the container full to allow room for expansion and you can put the lid on it when it's freezing. I freeze food I won't need for a few days in single-serve containers and move them to the top of the cooler to thaw as needed, allowing two days for thawing. And frozen water bottles become drinks after a while, and are easy to fit around things - open the bottle before freezing, squeeze out excess air and just a little water, and get a tight seal so there is room for expansion.

I only moved the cooler a few times in and out of the car, and it is heavy when full. I didn't have any trouble with leakage, and I didn't drain the cooler until I emptied it. There's still water in the cooler since the zipper bags leak some. Moving it is fine, although I could tell it was heavy, and the big handle worked fine. The only complaints I have are that the drainage hole is on the same side as the big handle, which makes it harder to hold the cooler up to drain the last bit of water, and the big handle cannot be laid flat next to the cooler since it is just a little too long and props the cooler up, which I'm sure eventually would break the handle hardware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great cooler; check the plug!, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Coleman Coleman 62 qt. Xtreme Cooler (Sports)
We ordered this cooler for a camping trip to Yellowstone. No leaving food items around, so we knew our cooler had to make it all day, everyday in the hot car. As a cooler, this performed very well. Now, we did *really* load it up with ice, but we did still have some ice left when we got home, a full five days. Once the ice started melting, however, we had water leaking all over the floor of our minivan, soaking our boxes of food. We initially thought maybe the drain cap had been knocked ajar, but it became apparent that was not the case. The water was leaking from around the edges of the plug, not the plug itself. Hubby is a pretty competent fellow, so figured he could just tighten it, but no dice. He cobbled a fix with rubber cement (don't leave home without your bike patch kit!) and plastic bags (and plenty of towels on the outside), but that part of things was very sub-ideal. When the cooler was emptied, it became apparent that the plug itself is just pretty messed up, cross-threaded and stripped. We really just need a new part, but Amazon has a new cooler on its way. Fine customer service (albeit overkill on replacing more than necessary, but I know they don't keep spare parts around), but we will definitely be filling this one up and watching for leaks BEFORE depending upon it. I recommend this as a cooler--but check that plug before you head out!

UPDATE: The new cooler arrived today; I filled it halfway with water and watched for leakage. Not a drop, hurrah!

Coleman 62-Quart Xtreme Wheeled Cooler (Blue)
$64.99 $47.99