Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 20, 2007
This was a fantastic buy! My friends and I went camping a few weekends ago and all had to buy coolers. All of their coolers were full of water with barely any ice left by the morning of the second day! (Saturday). Meanwhile, our cooler (Coleman 62-Quart) was still full of ice on Sunday when we were packing to come back home. I highly recommend this cooler!! I couldn't have been happier with it! :)
0Comment|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2009
I love this cooler; I load it with one or two 10lb blocks of ice and two 10lb bags of ice, go out for three or four days, and I end up coming home with ice for the next trip! It is the perfect size if you want big but still want to (barely) lift it yourself. I don't know why anyone buys a cooler without wheels anymore. You do have to treat the handles and hinges with a reasonable amount of care but this thing rocks. I couldn't be happier. People sit on it and it still rolls and works. By design, the wheels are ever so slightly lifted off the ground when you sit on it which saves the axle from bending! The bungee cord option is cool. There is a lot of experience wrapped up into the design of this cooler. The Ulimate Extreme cooler a step up from this loses a LOT of capacity inside for the thickness of it's walls. I definitely prefer this model line.
on October 1, 2006
We no longer have to worry about buying ice evry other day. This cooler is the best, it DOES keep ice for 5 (or more days) we have come home with some of the ice we started with. (camping usually 7-10 days and will buy ice once more) We purchased the larger ( 82 qt.?)one, now going to buy the smaller (62 qt) one too, and throw our other "non-xtreme" away.
on July 17, 2012
We ordered this cooler for a camping trip to Yellowstone. No leaving food items around, so we knew our cooler had to make it all day, everyday in the hot car. As a cooler, this performed very well. Now, we did *really* load it up with ice, but we did still have some ice left when we got home, a full five days. Once the ice started melting, however, we had water leaking all over the floor of our minivan, soaking our boxes of food. We initially thought maybe the drain cap had been knocked ajar, but it became apparent that was not the case. The water was leaking from around the edges of the plug, not the plug itself. Hubby is a pretty competent fellow, so figured he could just tighten it, but no dice. He cobbled a fix with rubber cement (don't leave home without your bike patch kit!) and plastic bags (and plenty of towels on the outside), but that part of things was very sub-ideal. When the cooler was emptied, it became apparent that the plug itself is just pretty messed up, cross-threaded and stripped. We really just need a new part, but Amazon has a new cooler on its way. Fine customer service (albeit overkill on replacing more than necessary, but I know they don't keep spare parts around), but we will definitely be filling this one up and watching for leaks BEFORE depending upon it. I recommend this as a cooler--but check that plug before you head out!

UPDATE: The new cooler arrived today; I filled it halfway with water and watched for leakage. Not a drop, hurrah!
on June 24, 2011
I got the chance to use this yesterday, when I was first looking for a cooler, I wasn't exactly sure how big 62 quarts is so I have uploaded a picture of it with soda cans inside. It says that it holds 85 cans which, maybe possible stacked with no ice. I rolls easily, there are two handles for carrying, and a spout on the side to let water out. There are also 4 cup holders on the top. I am very happy with my purchase. I got 1 22lb bag of ice and it filled it about half way. The ice has been in the cooler for 24 hours and the ice is still whole with no water from melting at the bottom.
review image
on November 21, 2010
We were looking for a cooler to start camping with, and the features and reviews convinced us to go with this one, though we actually wound up purchasing it at Kmart. Since I always go to Amazon to get product reviews, I try to always leave one as well--even if we dont end up buying from Amazon.

The features on this cooler are atractive, especially for 2 person camping. It is a nice size, and can hold 4 days worth of food for 2, which means you spend more time on vacation, and less in the supermarket. The handle & wheels are nice, and seemed like it could handle decent usage. As others have said, do make sure you drain the water periodically, so as to avoid additional strain when moving the cooler. The one feature it is missing is a shelf to keep things like cold cuts, that cant get wet, out of the water. However, tupperware can also serve this purpose--just not as convienently as a removable shelf would have.

Now to the negatives. First, I understand when they do these tests they have "optimal" conditions. They leave the cooler in the shade, they dont open it at all (this is a big one) and they put one giagantic block of ice in there, with no food and as one solid mass. All these things enable it to stay ice longer, so at the end of 5 days they can say it keeps ice for 5 days.

That said, even taking those conditions into account, I am not sure how they got ice to last 5 days in this. We were camping in September, and the temprature ranged from 40-85, with it only being 85 one day, we were also camping in the deep shade. We had pretty solid 50% ice meltage every day. We were also 2 adults, so we weren't contantly opening the cooler for sodas and things like kids would have. Also, the way we store meat is to freeze it in tupperware in our freezer at home, and put it in the bottom of the cooler; thus, some of the food is actually acting as additional ice. Now, I do want to say that we had 4 days of meat in there, had no spoilage, and the meat didn't defrost until we wanted it to--but, we did have to add ice every day. Not a huge thing, but it would have been better if we could have gone at least 2 days.
1616 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2008
Love this cooler and can't imagine ever buying a different brand again! We hardly had to buy any ice on our 8-day camping/road-trip - great not to have to worry about our food going bad! However, it is available for $40 at Kmart - $25 savings!
on August 24, 2008
I must admit that I didn't get this cooler from Amazon, it was given to me. I live in Florida and we just had a close brush with Tropical Storm Fay. On Monday morning, I put two 20lb bags of ice cubes in along with some pre-chilled milk, OJ and other items just in case. At worst I figured that I'd find out if the cooler was any good. As I write this, it is 10 o'clock Sunday evening and there is still three to four lbs of ice and a good deal of ice water in there. I added NO ice and there was NO leakage. So, does the cooler do what it says I'll do? You betcha! Do I recommend it? Yes I do!
on September 17, 2008
My girlfriend and I purchased this cooler before going out to Burning Man. We were looking for a cooler that could withstand 90+ degree temperatures during the day. I'm happy to say the Coleman Xtreme passed the test.

We had a non-Extreme cooler on hand as well which had drinks while the Extreme had food in it. After 1 day the ice in the older cooler had mostly melted. While there was some melting in the Extreme every bag of ice we put in still had ice in it. Even after 5 days one of the bags we put in that was near the bottom still had ice in it.

None of our food spoiled and the cooler was noticeably colder than the older cooler we had. Next year I'll be buying another Extreme cooler so our drinks can stay just as cold.
on January 13, 2015
Good cooler for the money. It holds a lot of ice and a lot of drinks. I got 54 - 12oz. cans, 12 - 12 oz. bottles and 4 - 16 oz. cans along with just under 20lbs. of ice in it and it was FULL. Total of 70 beers. Had ice for just over 3 days near the end of summer. We were in and out of the cooler a ton though. Another nice feature it is you can put most liquor bottles in vertically, which saves a lot of space. If your power goes out, it's easy to story perishables in if you don't have a generator to keep your appliances going.

- Dimensions are 31.5 inches long, 15 inches wide, and 17 inches tall
- Internal dimensions are 26 inches long 12.5 inches wide and 12.5 inches tall
- Vortex drain plug to make draining cooler easier
- 4 drink holders on top
- 24 inch ruler on top
- Weighs 14lbs. empty
- Handle to pull the cooler along with 2 easy to grip handles

This cooler is a huge upgrade over most cheap coolers. It is worth the extra money to get one of these. It doesn't hold ice as long as a Yeti or Pelican, but at the same time its about a tenth of the cost of those. For most people who need a cooler for outdoor entertaining, car camping or whenever you need to keep something cold a couple of days/ weekend, you won't be disappointed in the Coleman Xtreme.

Search YT for my username and you will see my review and demo along with other Outdoor Gear reviews.

Caw!
review image review image review image review image