5.0 out of 5 stars works as advertised, performs well
i bought this cooler in preparation for a 5 day camping trip to sequoia. I needed to store enough food for a family of four hungry campers, and needed it to fit in the bear proof boxes, and didn't want to be buying ice every day.

Published on July 4, 2009 by Jacob Langford

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but Breaks - be prepared
This review is for two similar Coleman Xtreme coolers, which are virtually the same size on the exterior: the 70-quart, 5-day, BLUE cooler and the 56-quart, 6-day, GREEN cooler. By the way, these coolers do not come equipped with a plastic shelf to keep food suspended above the melt water.

First, let me say that Coleman made its reputation years ago with its...
Published on March 30, 2010 by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but Breaks - be prepared, March 30, 2010
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)

First, let me say that Coleman made its reputation years ago with its workhorse, white-gas cook stoves and lanterns. Today Coleman mostly makes products for backyard use and casual family camping. Coleman generally does not make quality products for avid outdoors people operating in rugged or demanding conditions, so you can't expect too much when purchasing a Coleman product.

That said, I went through Amazon.com to purchase a Green Coleman 6-day cooler because I didn't want to shell out hundreds of dollars more for a tougher product and because I needed a cooler that would fit comfortably between the gunwales of our canoes. So far, I have used this cooler on two river trips, the first of which lasted seven days in southern Utah during September, 09. The weather was hot, but could have been hotter. Our block ice lasted 6 days, and on the 7th day we had plenty of ice water, so the cooler achieved its 6-day rating.

This was followed with a 4-day trip in October, which wasn't long enough to test the cooling performance of the cooler, but did reveal the cooler's low-quality construction. On the second day out, one of the handles came off when its plastic retaining pin fell out. A member of our party had with them a smaller Coleman Xtreme cooler, and both of its hinges were broken off and useless. So, if you plan to use this cooler much, I would suggest taking the preventive measures described below. And then try to be gentle with it.

A few weeks ago I purchased a 70-quart, 5-day Blue cooler at Wal-Mart for $30. At this price I couldn't pass it up. Apparently the store had a few of these left over from last year, and they were being sold at a deep discount because Wal-Mart is featuring a different Coleman Xtreme product line this year. I haven't used this cooler yet, but I can describe how the two Xtreme coolers compare physically.

NOTE: See my "customer images" available under the main product photo to see what I am describing here.

On the exterior, the two coolers are indistinguishable except for the colors. Same cheap plastic hardware on both. On the interior, the 6-day green cooler has noticeably thicker walls implying more insulation, and thus 20 percent less volume than the blue 5-day cooler.

Here are the fixes I have adopted in an effort to overcome the flimsy hardware issues. When I got home from the second river trip, I used a screwdriver to pry out the plastic retaining pins on the two handles (two pins each) and glued them back into place with Gorilla glue. This I expect will hold the pins in place for a while. On the newer cooler, I removed the plastic handles altogether and replaced them with rope handles. This type of handle has the advantage of remaining in a fixed position (unlike the original sliding plastic handles) allowing me to run a strap between them to secure the lid in case of a canoe upset.

On the interior of each cooler, I have screwed into place a short nylon strap between the lid and the side wall. The strap is long enough to allow the lid to open beyond 90 degrees and remain in an upright and open position, but the strap is short enough to prevent the lid from extending backward far enough to place excessive strain on the hinges. I am hoping this will keep the hinges from snapping anytime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars works as advertised, performs well, July 4, 2009
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)

i only packed meat, eggs, and cheese items, mayo, mustard, etc. in this cooler, and kept veggies in a smaller, older cooler. I packed it with two one-gallon water jugs frozen, two half-gallon early times whiskey jugs, frozen (these are good because they are flat, flask-shaped jugs), and about four frozen water bottles. Several of the meat items were frozen when packed.

Day one, we traveled across Bakersfield, with the cooler sitting in the bed of my truck exposed to the sun, and the temperature in the sequoia foothills was 108 degrees. When we got to campsite, I was disappointed that the whiskey jug ice block had melted through. The cooler fit nicely inside the bear proof boxes (it fits in sideways as the bear boxes are 33" deep). Temperatures in the days were about 80 degrees with some sun exposure on the brown bear boxes. Day three the veggie cooler needed an additional seven pound bag of ice added. Day four I added an additional seven pound bag of ice into this cooler, thinking that it had been too hot the first day. Day six we drove back home, again through blazing 100 degree desert heat, and when I returned I found that one of the gallon water jugs was still half ice. All the leftover meat items were at a safe cold temperature.

So we got six days out of this cooler and it performed well for our trip.

I didn't buy from Amazon, but from a local shop, and I noticed of the two they had in stock one of them closed tighter than the other, so I picked the tighter-closing one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for holding mash temps..., November 12, 2009
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
I purchased this cooler to use as a mash tun in my ten gallon brewing system and it works very well. I've noticed very little drop in temperature during 60 minute mashes (perhaps just a degree or two) and by adding either a SS hose braid or bazooka screen it lauters very well. If you are a home brewer looking for the perfect size cooler for ten gallon batches of beer which holds mash temps well then this is the cooler for you!

Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep foods cold in hot weather, August 11, 2009
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
We're quite conservative when selecting, buying, using products -- which means when we needed to buy a cooler to last 4 days, we bought one that advertises five. We wouldn't buy a 5 day cooler to last 7. So, I can't tell you how much longer this cooler lasts past 5 days. It does remarkably well under five days, in 100 degree heat. By the end of the trip, the cooler was still cold as ever.

The handle did break off after only a few uses. The plug that holds the handle in place popped off and my husband couldn't find it. Coleman sent replacement plugs immediately and now it works just fine.

The cup holders on the lid came in handier than I expected. The only drawback to this cooler is the lack of wheels. Ice and drinks can make it quite heavy. Fortunately, my husband is willing to lift it.

This is the only cooler we have that can keep food cold for a five day trip in hot weather. Great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed!, September 24, 2010
JJ (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
I purchased this large cooler for a 10-day camping trip in the desert heat of Black Rock City. Daytime temperatures soar well over 100 degrees. Kept in the shade, and opened 4-5 times a day, this cooler kept my food icy cold for 5 days just as advertised. By the third day, much of the ice had melted, by the fourth day, most ice was gone, but the melted water was still icy cold, and on the fifth day, the ice was gone and the water was just a little colder than a refrigerator-- beverages were refreshingly cold, butter still hard, etc. I was afraid the cooler walls would be super thick, but they seem comparable with my other coolers. I was able to refill the cooler with ice after the fifth day, and it worked as well all over again, getting me through the rest of the trip. I will never buy a regular cooler again. these xtremes are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, August 11, 2011
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
At $38, this cooler is a steal. We recently received the 70 Xtreme and took it on a three day camping trip to Yosemite. We primarily used ice packs with minimal cubed ice. The temperatures outside were in the mid seventies during the day, probably rising into the nineties within the sun exposed metal bear box. Temperatures fell to approximately 32F at night. Our food remained cool with cubed ice and the ice packs persisting at the end of the trip; I'm quite certain five days would not have been a problem. This is in contrast to our old 16qt Igloo cooler ($20 on Amazon, we paid more) in which all of the ice packs had melted within 24 hours during a Big Sur trip.

As some individuals stated, it's construction isn't the best. In particular, the handles feel quite unstable, and a failure if the cooler was fully loaded would not surprise me. It also does not contain shelves, which would be very useful. That said, we didn't have any problems and, for the price, I don't really expect a modern marvel of ice chest design.

This cooler functioned well for our needs and is an outstanding deal at the low price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaked brand new, June 16, 2012
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
Well, the price was great, shipping was great, and Amazon made it easy to return when it leaked from day one. With this price it is hard to beat. However, it constantly leaked in our tent. We wanted to believe it was condensation, but there was always ice and never water in the cooler and it was just too much water to come to any conclusion other than it was leaking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Effective, January 7, 2012
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
I bought two for a two week trip to Baja. I filled one 1/3 full of water, removed the lid, and put it into a chesst freezer one week before we left. In the other cooler, I placed two 5# blocks of ice plus 20# of cubes. We put only frozen food in the first cooler and used the second cooler as our "working" cooler.

Once in Baja, we kept the first cooler in the shade, off the ground (on rock "feet"), and wrapped in insulated surfboard bags. The second cooler was simply kept in the shade and covered with one or two beach towels. The second cooler ran out of ice after 5 days, but the water stayed sufficiently cold by periodically adding ice chunks from the first cooler. The first cooler still had 10# of ice in it when we returned home.

The air temperature in Baja ranged from 45-80F

Be careful with the handles and do not pull laterally on them if the cooler is full (they will break).

We got both coolers for $80 delivered. What a bargain!

3.0 out of 5 stars shoddy construction, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
These coolers may keep ice for 5 days at 90 degrees (I have not tried this particular test, yet), but their construction is shoddy. there is no difference between this cooler and the marine version, except for color, so save $10 and buy this version. see my review of the Marine version for details.)

Examples of shoddy construction:

-the bottom part of cooler is constructed of two pieces of plastic (inside part and external part) with foam in between. The seam where the two pieces of plastic comes together is not sealed properly. In some cases this gap is about 3/64". This compromises the integrity of the cooler. (This was way more prominent on the Marine version of the cooler. But, I have a feeling it is just inconsistent manufacturing and some Coleman coolers will be more screwed up than others, regardless of model. Wish I could find a store that carried them, as I could pick and choose and find the least crappy one, instead of ordering online and playing the lottery.)

-hinges are cheap and thin plastic that I suspect will break in less than a season

-handles are cheap plastic held together by cheap plastic pins (doubt they last more than one trip)

-drain plug is cheap plastic cover type and not screw type

-no basket to keep dry things dry

-inside of lid looks like it has channel for rubber seal, however, A) there is no seal and B) more infuriating is the fact that in 8 little places and one larger place near handle, this channel is missing, so you cannot even put in a seal yourself to completely seal cooler.

-no latch on front

If you want to purchase this Coleman Xtreme 70qt cooler, I would make the following mods:

1 pull out pins on plastic handles and replace handles with rope
2 replace hinges with stainless steel
3 seal seam between two plastic parts of bottom section of cooler
4 buy appropriately-sized cheap freezer basket and rig inside cooler to keep dry things dry

To go crazy with your mods you can add the following:

5 add foam seal to channel in lid where you can
6 add a couple draw latches to front
7 add some non-skid rubber feet
8 replace drain plug with screw type

Then you might have a decent cooler. Or you could bite the bullet and get a Yeti or Engel which are built like tanks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Mash Tun for Home Brewing, March 29, 2012
This review is from: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue) (Sports)
I recently purchased the Coleman Extreme to serve as a mash tun for home brewing. Overall, it's great from a size perspective for 5 (14 pound of grain for example) to 15 gallon batches (well over 30 pounds of grain). The only negative is that the cooler does react negatively to the 150-170 degree heat which results in the the cooler's lid did not have a perfect airtight seal. I needed to tie ropes around the cooler to keep the lid locked down to keep the heat in during mashing. Would recommend to others as it did produce a good mash and the lid is easy to insert fittings for H2O from your hot liquor tank. I also have a bazooka screen which was easy to insert into the cooler's spigot area. Overall, nice buy and would recommend.

Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler (Blue)
$79.99 $41.00