1,144 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tent for the price
This is our first large tent purchase and I bought it because after reading tons of ratings on other tents, this is the one that, for the price, seemed to be as waterproof as advertised based on user ratings.

Published on October 9, 2008 by Michelle Wickersheim

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! This is not the Red Canyon tent as advertised

Published on August 10, 2012 by Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tent for the price, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent (Sports)

It's easier to set up than you would think. I'm a 5'7", 130-lb woman and set it up by myself. The instructions are attached to the inside of the bag next to the zipper (as they always are on Coleman tents with zipper bags). It took about 30 minutes because attaching the guylines takes a little while, as does finding spots to drive the stakes w/o hitting rocks. Once the guylines are attached, you don't have to do it again. The most frustrating part was raising the center poles by myself. They are very long and really could use 4 hands instead of 2, but after fiddling with them just right I got them up in 10 minutes or so. With 2 hands, they tend to just fall over and make S shapes instead of dome shapes due to their length vs. strength. But like I said, I got them up. The sides poles are easy. The poles are color-coded (per the instructions) with red or grey stickers, but after you set the tent up once, you can tell which poles are which w/o needing the color coding. The side poles are thinner than the center dome poles. Our poles were not red and grey like the poles in the picture on this website. They were all black.

The inside of the tent is very roomy and attractive, with some gold accents on the white areas of the tent. I like the white - it adds a very current look to the tent.

The room dividers come detatched, and attach with loops. The zipper on the only door to the tent is doing fine so far, but on all of our older Coleman D-door dome tents the zippers have eventually broken after a few years, so we'll see with this one. I'm surprised Coleman hasn't changed their door design. I also don't like how the door has a 4-inch lip in front of it that you have to step over when going in and out. I wish they'd lower the door to almost ground level. It would also make it easier to sweep out.

I also don't like the rain fly. In the picture, the fly is away from the tent all the way around, but when you set it up, there are 4 symmetrical spots where the fly touches the body of the tent. I haven't tested this tent in rain yet, but the fly should never touch the tent. We fiddled with the fly off and on for a couple of days and was never able to raise the fly off the tent in any of these 4 spots. I also think that due to the size of the tent, a rain fly should come down closer to the ground instead of stopping midway down the tent. So I hope this tent is really as waterproof as people say.

Also, the tent didn't come with the little yellow hammer advertised on the package. But that's ok, because for less than $2 you can get a rubber mallet at any major retailer in the camping section, and rubber mallets work tons better than little plastic hammers.

Make note of how they pack it, because you'll need to simulate that when packing up. Always use your tent poles to tightly roll the tent towards the door, otherwise you'll never get the bag zipped. The poles will give you a good gauge on how wide your roll should be and also help you roll tight. The instructions give you NO guidance on how to pack it back up.

You won't need a tarp. All modern tents have a bottom already made out of waterproof tarp material, and the tarp habit stems from back when they weren't, so don't bother.

Overall, for the price, if you want a large, roomy tent, this is a good deal. You can get a Coleman for the price of an Ozark Trail (which leak like a seive).

UPDATE: We've been *poured* on 3 weekends this summer, and the only drop of water in the tent was from the bottoms of our shoes. It is indeed as waterproof as people say despite my doubts about the seemingly insufficient rain fly. We haven't needed to use any seam-seal or spray of any kind. If yours leaks, something is dreadfully wrong and you should contact Coleman.

UPDATE #2 (6/2011): Our shock cords inside the poles have started to snap. The poles can support the tent just fine without the cords once the poles are laced in and the tent is raised, but it's a pain to deal with these long poles without them before the tent is raised. I'll be ordering replacement shock cord and repairing the poles instead of junking the tent because the tent itself is still going strong. We were in two incredibly strong thunderstorms in the Ozarks last year (tree branches were coming down) and still no leaks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tent, August 1, 2007
L. Mitts (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
My husband and I were able to set the tent up easily. The second day of camping it started to sprinkle , then during the night and early morning it poured. We didn't have one drop of water in our tent. It was wonderful after prior
experiences with two different tents. (Indoor pools in our tent)
There are two panels you can hang to divide the space. My kids each had their own room on the ends.
We liked the little mesh panel for the ceiling used for a small cargo hold.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Performed well, a couple of minor criticisms, June 28, 2012
This review is from: Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent (Sports)
I purchased this for use by my family of 4. We have two young scouts in the family and my wife and I are active in their Pack as well so having a comfortable well sorted out tent was a must for us. So far we've taken this tent out in the following weather conditions: Hot, wet, raining buckets, windy, cool and cold/windy weather. It has performed very well in all of these conditions and I have no doubt that it will continue to do so for several years to come.

Some of the observations I've made having taken it into the field several times are:
1. Use a quality ground tarp. The tent bottom seems like it could get beat up quickly without a tarp beneath it. Spend the extra bucks and get the HD tarp.
2. Once you put the tarp down, completely unroll and spread the tent out, stake down the 4 loops at the ends of the tent. Doing this will make putting the rest of the tent up VERY easy. So much so that you should be able to put the tent up solo (minus the rain fly) with no trouble after you use it a couple of times.
3. You have to do the grey poles first. If you start with the orange poles it's a hassle to put the tent up.
4. The tent tends to be hot and stuffy inside with the fly on and minimal breeze. We used it recently in a heavily shaded camp site with the temps in the low 80's and it was uncomfortably hot inside the tent until well after night fall.
5. Had a little water seepage near the door in a heavy rain storm. It was at the seam where the tent wall met the floor. I think it was an issue with the design of the rain fly. It allowed water to run down and collect right at that seam. If the door overhang was a little bigger or possibly designed a little differently to channel water away from the door (duh) this wouldn't be an issue. It was exacerbated by the fact that wind was blowing at the door side of the tent which cause that wall to push in a bit and create a bigger area for water to pool. It should be classified as an annoyance rather than a serious design flaw.
6. You can't close off all of the mesh "windows". There's a window on the door and on the opposite back wall of the tent that can be closed off. There are mesh panels at the end walls that are completely covered by the rain fly to protect against the weather and privacy but you can't zip up a solid panel to make the tent wind proof and warmer in cold/rainy/windy conditions.
7. Stake it down good. Coleman gives you lots of pegs. Use them! Every ground loop and guy-out line should be utilized since this tent is so big and susceptible to the influence of the wind.

Overall, my family and I really like this tent. It's got plenty of room to settle in and have ample space to get/keep your gear organized, not be bumping into each other with multiple people in it and not go bananas if you have to hunker down in foul weather. I don't think I would recommend putting more than 2 adults and 3 small kids in it.

Hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy summer tent, January 19, 2008
This review is from: Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent (Sports)
This is a nice, spacious SUMMER tent. Don't even think about using it if its spring/fall and the temperatures might drop, but its fantastic in hot weather, rain or not. Also this isn't a tent for windy conditions due to its high profile. I can set this tent up alone, although getting the rain fly over the top can be a bit tricky on my own, it does eventually get there. I hadn't thought about how tough it would be for 65" tall me to get a rain fly over the 78" top of a 10x17' tent! I bought this tent for summer camping when rain was a likely complication, when I am NOT packing it more than a few yards from the vehicle. (It is a heavy tent.) It holds a table, chairs, cot, gear, and dog quite comfortably and is ridiculously spacious when I am camping alone. When a group is camping and the weather goes wet, it becomes a great place for people to get together out of the rain and have coffee, play cards, etc. I do think the "cool port" thing is about the dumbest looking thing I have ever seen on a tent though...it looks like either a demented dog door or I'm expecting the little people to join me. The "mud mat" is also rather dorky. Being three room is kind of stretching it, but the curtains are useful for changing clothes when there is a mixed group together.

Minuses on this tent: it has a single d-door with a single zipper pull, which starts on the bottom. It has huge mesh sections in the ceiling over the ends, and there isn't any way to close them off. It lacks extra tie down points on the rain fly for foul weather when the wind kicks up a bit, which means its inclined to really start popping in a gust. There are not very many stake points on the tent itself either, which also help in foul weather.

This is a very decent budget tent for summer use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware! This is not the Red Canyon tent as advertised, August 10, 2012

Description on Amazon:
1/ Red Canyon is the Grand Canyon of Tents! Made Coleman right, for tough wind, wet and weather conditions.
- No chance! during fairly heavy wind and rain, this tent was being blown all over the place resulting in rain
coming in through the mesh sides and the tent collapsing resulting in a night sleeping in the car.

2/ Variflo adjustable ventilation system. Access gear or change airflow with the Cool-Air port and privacy window
- No, the original Red Canyon tent which was available around 5 years ago (which looks the same on the outside)
has zipped covers over the mesh to adjust the air flow. The one supplied now does not. The roof is basically a
huge mesh cover and there are 2 more mesh sides which can not be closed off so when it is windy, it will just
gust through the tent. If it is windy, cold and wet - good luck - you won't be staying dry...

3/ Comes in a new expandable carry bag
- No, the original Red Canyon tent did come with a very handy expandable bag making it much easier to pack the
tent. This one is supplied in a regular bag

4/ Includes steel tent stakes and tent hammer
- No, the hammer is no longer included

5/ The photographs show an access port which could be used for an electrical outlet feedthrough or doggy door etc.
- This again is from the original Red Canyon tent and no longer present in this one

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not the same Tent Shown in pictures - No es la misma tienda que en las fotos, August 12, 2012
This review is from: Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent (Sports)
I'm 100% agree with the review made by one guy some time ago. I copy and paste the same review. Hope you read it before you buy this tent, not like me that I didn't. If I were read this review before I hadn't bought.

"There are some serious discrepancies with the Coleman Red Canyon tent being supplied by Amazon. I returned one immediately after receiving it as it is not as described and the replacement was exactly the same as the first tent.

3/ Comes in a new expandable carry bag
tent. This one is supplied in a regular bag

4/ Includes steel tent stakes and tent hammer
- No, the hammer is no longer included

Basically, the tent description is for an older model of Red Canyon tent (which is an excellent tent) but does not apply to the one being sold on Amazon. The outer tent actually looks more or less the same but the features are most certainly not the same."

2.0 out of 5 stars You could get wet!, January 20, 2008
This review is from: Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent (Sports)
This tent was purchased for a late fall family weekend excursion into the Ozarks. My first bit of caution can also be a plus, so it is not the reason for my rating. THIS THING IS HUGE! It is difficult to find a place to set up. Once set up though there is enough room for 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and have a "lobby" in the middle.

On a less pleasant note. A middle of the night thunderstorm rolled in. Though the bathtub flooring is effective, the rainfly does not fully protect the seams. And, regardless of what the manual says, the seams are not water proof.

If you do purchase this tent follow a few guidelines and you should be fine. 1) make sure you are staying somewhere that will accomodate such a large tent 2) regardless of what the manual says, seal the seams on your own 3) It's pretty easy to set up but needs 2 people

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family tent, April 1, 2008
Length:: 0:59 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Tent, June 30, 2010
This review is from: Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent (Sports)
We just survived the night in this tent during the worst storm and flash flood we've ever been through. 11 inches of rain in 5 hours! The inside of the tent stayed dry the whole night despite the high winds and torrential rains for 5 straight hours. Eventually the tent collapsed when a wall of flood water pushed in one side of the tent. We got out ok, but when we went back to the tent after the storm, found that only a tiny amount of water had gotten into the tent even after the flood collapsed the tent, and all of our possessions we had abandoned inside had remained dry. After that experience, I can highly recommend this tent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Room enough for three queen beds and then some, September 24, 2008
This review is from: Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent (Sports)
TWENTY FIVE MINUTES BY MYSELF: From the time I unrolled the tarp (which was a separate purchase) to the time I finished securing the rainfly. And that was taking my time. I'm a 5'8" person. I let the wind help me with the rainfly. Secure one side, and work towards the direction of the wind. I am not a camper. This is only the second tent I have set up. But am trying to help my son have a successful cubscouting year even with my hubby being deployed. I got this tent because our first family tent my hubby snapped one of the poles and the replacement costs a fifth of this one. Besides a 15.5 x 12 feet dome tent seems awfully small for two adults and four kids. I had little space to sleep in the only time all 6 of us went camping in it and that was a little over a year ago. THIS tent is VERY roomy. You could put three queen size inflatable beds and still have space. Coleman rates this an 8-person tent. I think that is stretching it. I don't know how 8 adults can comfortably fit in this. 6 would but 8 would be a tight fit. Whatever happened to elbow room :). Anyway, this is the best bang for the buck if you want my honest, novice opinion.

Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent