Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 100-Feet|Style Name: 12-Guage Wire|Change
Price:$58.99+ Free shipping

on July 13, 2008
The reason to buy a thicker, more expensive cord is to make sure your tools get a steady stream of electricity and do not overheat, shortening their life span.

You can calculate it yourself using this link

[...]

the longer (or thinner) your cord, the more your voltage drops along the way. I think 5% is the most Voltage you should allow a circuit to drop.

With a 15 Amp tool, at 120 Volts and 100' of extension cord at 12 AWG, the Voltage drops 4.9%, which just falls under recommended limit. (I'm assuming it's a copper cable)

I'm not an electrician, but it seems like this cord will do the trick if you need an extra 50' of length, but consult your product manual if you have any doubts.
55 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2007
This is an excellent extension cord for an electric lawn mower or to run motors, such as drainage motors, since it has 12 gauge wiring that's necessary for the large current draw of motors. However, it won't hold up in cold weather and is not very flexible below freezing. For snow blowers and the like, be sure to use a low temp cable.
55 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2008
I've had this cord for several months now and I am very happy with it. I use it with a power inverter/battery back-up set-up I have in my apartment in case of power outages. I can supply electricity anywhere in the apartment without having to move 300# worth of batteries. I chose this heavy duty cord to reduce the voltage drop that occurs as the batteries are depleted. Plus with a heavier gauge wire you get less line loss compared to thinner wires. With cheaper 16 or 14 Ga. cords you can actually lose some of your precious wattage in the form of heat because the wire will heat up slightly when powering high wattage appliances like microwaves, air conditioners or power tools. This loss doesn't occur with a fat 10 Ga. wire.

Even though this cord is about 9/16" in diameter it is surprisingly flexible and easy to roll up after use. It doesn't kink or twist either.

The lighted outlet is very handy to know if it is live or not. Probably the only thing that would make this better is a triple tap at the end for the same price. (I think that is available as a separate product that costs more.)

I know a lot of people will be considering this product for use in construction and the trades for power tools, etc. It will certainly take a lot more abuse in those situations so I can't personally speak to the product's durability under those conditions. It has a fairly thick vinyl outer sheath but I understand there are more durable materials out there, but of course they cost nearly twice as much. But for my uses, and that of the average homeowner, it will probably last for many years.
VINE VOICEon January 7, 2008
Coleman Cable is a well known brand name in wire & cable. Their 10/3 extension can run heavy construction tools without voltage loss as would be found in a 12/3 or 14/3 cable. As a result the tool works better, and the job gets done faster without fatigue.

The price here, $55 is $4 less than a similar no-name brand cable in the local lowes store made in china, plus there's no tax and no delivery charge.

10/3 is rated for 20A loads, however this uses standard 15A connectors. You could make a 15A to 20A adapter to use with this if you need to run a 20A device. I purchased it to go with my vehicle inverter system because I wanted the absolute minimal power lost in the extension cord. For a high power inverter see: Xantrex Technologies Prosine 1,000 to 1,500-Watt Power Inverter #1000

Overall the 10/3 is a very adaptable cable for many uses including electric jackhammers, heaters, and other high power loads including running several tools from one feeder cable. This is the top of the line in extension cords.
on April 27, 2008
This cord is excellent, tough, durable, and priced well. The only slight drawback is that the somewhat rectangular shape of the female end of the plug makes it difficult to plug into some of my Black & Decker lawn equipment. The equipment seems to fit better to a round shape. The plug fits put it takes some adjusting to plug it in.
on April 24, 2013
This review is specifically for those who, like me, wanted an extension cord for car charging purposes, specifically a Prius Plug-In. I was looking for an extension cable that I could use in conjunction with my car charging cable/adapter for my Prius Plug-In. Even though the user manual specifically said not to use extension cords/cables/outlets, I knew of the limitations and the reasons why they said not to. This is because for car charging from a standard 110/120V wall output, the car battery (at least for Prius Plug-In) on board charger will pull at least 12 A of current or more. This is also the reason why they said to only connect to an outlet rated for 15A (meaning your circuit breaker connected to that wall outlet should be 15A, if not higher).

Those of you who may or may not know, when you draw that much current through a cable, it can easily overheat or cause substantial voltage drop if the cable wire gauge is not thick enough. Typical cheap ($10-20) power extension cables and outlets are not designed for 10A or more, hence not recommended for car charging purposes. If the voltage drops too much, it may cause unstable charging, not charge, or even damage the car's on-board charger. Knowing this, I came across these Coleman Cables. There were a couple other options, but I thought these were the most durable based on previous reviews and I didn't want to take second chances even though some say wire gauge of 12/3 extension cable would be sufficient.

Here are my reasons for buying this:
1. It has a heavy gauge rating of 10/3. That's definitely enough for handling 15A of current. In fact, it can handle even more.
2. The length was perfect. 25 ft. I would not recommend 50ft or longer because voltage will drop more for longer distances, and you want to make sure the wire resistance (gauge of wire) can sustain as minimal of a drop as possible.
3. The cord end has a light so it's easy to locate in a dark environment.

I've been using this cable for almost half a year now for the purpose of charging my PiP, and I have 0 problems with it. It just works! I highly recommend it.

***UPDATE 1/15/2014***
I've been using this for about more than a year now. Still works great for charging and no problems at all with the cable. Very durable.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2007
I purchased this cord to use with an electric lawnmower and it is perfect.Thanks to another reviewer, I learned that when cords are longer in length, a higher amp rating is needed in order for it not to overheat. I am very happy with this purchase and expect it to last for years.
on December 16, 2008
I needed a 10 gauge outdoor extension cord to run a small MIG welder off my generator. After visiting my local home and hardware stores I could not find the 25 ft. length I needed. I use the extension cord almost daily and have found it to be tough and perfect for the jobsite. And the yellow color provides excellent visibility.
on June 14, 2008
I needed this for my new electric mower. A 14 or 16 gage is not rated to carry enough current for the job. Walmart is $65, so if you get free shipping, it's worth it. Also, this cord has lighted ends so you know if it is plugged in and working.
on July 7, 2009
First, I would like to say that I have used this for over a year and am VERY pleased with it, and here's why:
1) The color stands out. I had a green cord from a different brand that I used with my hedge trimmer. Boy is my hedge trimmer sharp, it cut right through the extension cord. Imagine all the dangers that go along with that!

2) Heavy duty. Some lighter gauge cords will got VERY hot, so be careful. In this instance, you get what you pay for....and if you are using this in a dry area, the last thing you want to do is start a fire.

3) Cost. I have seen these at the local Home Depot/Lowes for at least 25% more!

4) I have used this with my snowblower, edge trimmer, power washer, hedge trimmer, shop vac, leaf blower, etc., and have never had a problem. I have not experienced any problem in cold weather, down to 0 degrees. The windchill that day (yes I remember it because it was REALLY old) was below zero. The only thing is not to store this outside. As with anything, if you leave it exposed to the elements it may not last as long. Also, be sure to properly store it, and try not to kink it anywhere.

The only downside is that it is heavy. No reason for a star reduction because all of them at this size are heavy (and they get heavier!).

If you are looking to light some low voltage lights, etc., don't waste your money. If you are using saws, lawnmowers, etc., this is what you should be using.