5.0 out of 5 stars Best camping lantern ever!
Published on July 19, 2010 by clickyourheels

2.0 out of 5 stars CPX6 with this Lantern
Published on September 1, 2011 by C Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camping lantern ever!, July 19, 2010
I've been camping since I was a child & have been through many lanterns. Due to a very scary incident with a gas lantern falling over onto my sleeping bag when I was about 10, I don't miss those contraptions. We lost our last rechargeable lantern somewhere in the mountains of Utah & were looking for a replacement. It's hard to find a reasonably priced rechargeable lantern that will also take batteries. This one fit the bill and we tested it out on a trip last week. It is super bright and the ability to take one section off and stand it up, facing the other way comes in handy when eating dinner. You can also leave one section at camp while someone takes the other section to the bathroom or tent. You don't have to worry about replacement bulbs, as these are lifetime bulbs. We plan to order the rechargeable battery pack for it, which is available for about $25. We love it & our friends now are going to order one as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, May 10, 2011
After the big earthquake I had been searching a trustworthy lantern and could find one here in Amazon.I ordered two lanterns and they arrived in Japan only a week.
I like this colour,shape and usability. We have no power failure now but sometimes enjoy lighting this lantern during the night.
I think it's better this is as bright as QUAD Lantern.
I'm sorry I'm bad at English.

2.0 out of 5 stars CPX6 with this Lantern, September 1, 2011
I purchased this light with the intention of using the CPX6 battery pack. I likely would have bought the 4 panel lantern if not for the XPS capability of this one. Anyway, I am not thrilled with this funtionality. I got about 4 hours of full brightness out of this lantern with the CPX6 pack. At 6 hours I am right at half brightness and it is going downhill fast. BTW, half brightness is just about useless.

I followed directions completely for charging. I unboxed the XPS battery and immediately plugged it in for 16 hours of charging (as recommended). I thought 16 hours was kind of outrageous but I did it. The CPX6 pack is supposed to replace 4 D cell batteries. I am now curious what people are getting out of Ds. I guess I will try that at some point. The directions for the XPS does say to cycle the battery fully for the first three charge cycles. If the life of the battery increases dramatically during this period, I will update my review but I am not holding my breath.

Either way, if the CPX6 battery pack gets such lackluster performance in comparison to D batteries on this lantern, they should certainly list that with their runtime estimates. Seriously, I am supposed to charge this in my car every day to get 3-4 hours of good use out of it? Ugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition for your camp site, September 6, 2010
Leroy E. Trujillo (Arvada, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This combined with the Coleman 6V XPS Rechargeable Battery Pack is a perfect addition to any camp site. We love it. The ability to have two separate lights each with their own rechargeable battery is perfect. The Base can stay on the table while one or more of the lights can be used to walk around outside.

We only wish the 4 light lantern of the same type could take the XPS Rechargeable Battery Pack...we would have bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Lantern, January 4, 2011
Saw this lantern in a Cabella's, really thought it would be great to have - do feel the optional rechargable battery is a must! If not, you put in the "D" cell batteries and they then recharge the seperate batteries for each pack. Not sure how much that will draw down your original batteries. Again very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very utilitarian, August 9, 2010
I also have their "Quad Lantern". It uses only disposable cells while this design takes it to the next step and allows use of a rechargable battery pack while still retaining the ability to use regular batteries. The removable sections are quite useful. I use them seperately all the time. This lantern is well worth the purchase price especially if you get the rechargable pack with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing LED Lantern, August 14, 2010
The Coleman 4D XPS Lantern is incredibly bright, handy, light weight, and has amazing battery life. I have not yet changed the original 4 D-Cell batteries and just returned from a 9 night camping trip in the Adirondack mountains. The light can be seen from great distances, and is incredibly bright. The 2 sections of the light disconnect and can be used as miniature lanterns, or a large flashlight. This is a great feature, and cam in handy more often than I expected. I believe you can cary the disconnected portion for 3 hours while being disconnected from the main body of the lantern. The light never died on our trip. The only problem I encountered was with the battery pack sliding out if someone drops the lantern, but it's not a big deal. The battery pack easily slides back into place.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Reader's Best Friend, April 27, 2011
Melissa McCauley (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I love this lantern so much, I stash it under my side of the bed for easy access. We have a lot of Spring thunderstorms and tornado alerts, so I have spent a lot of time waiting in the basement, attempting to read by flashlight, candlelight and oil lamps. Now I have ample light and don't have to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning or crow's feet from squinting! It has these ingenious removable light panels that work independently from the base, making it easy to share and ideal for trips to the bathroom, etc. Would be great for camping, too... or whatever you want to use it for. I highly recommend it and thank Coleman for supporting my love affair with Jane Austen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Detachable panels require batteries, March 28, 2012
This lamp is an interesting concept. It provides a decent light source. When I bought it I must have read the description incorrectly because I thought that the D batteries would charge the panels. This is not true. If you use regular D Batteries you cannot detach the panels themselves and expect them to light. The panel lights function on AA batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best lantern I ever bought, August 11, 2011
I highly recommend getting this lantern. It is the best one I ever bought. As soon as we had it out of the box we put it to use. The lantern comes apart into 2 lanterns & my husband took it apart to use half as a light so he could repair our sink drain. It gives excellent light & is easy on the eyes. I bought one for ourselves & got one to give as a wedding shower gift. Great emergency lighting.

Rate and Discover Movies