5.0 out of 5 stars MADE IN USA
USA made product.
Wanted one for a long time but didn't want to spend the money.
Finally found a red one on Amazon on sale for $89.95, through Target.com.
Worth every cent.
Keeps ice much longer than cheap plastic coolers.
Solidly built. You get what you pay for.
USA, USA, USA!
Published on July 21, 2011 by Sebastian Stacey

3.0 out of 5 stars Plastic in a metal wrapper
I had hoped to be buying the same cooler my family had when I was growing up -- nearly indestructible steel. This coleman is made to look like that cooler, but it is just a plastic ice chest with a thin sheet metal skin on the sides and top. I was disappointed, but it is still better than a standard plastic cooler. If you get it on sale (I paid $50) it's worth the money.
Published on January 11, 2007 by J. Zbornik

3.0 out of 5 stars Plastic in a metal wrapper, January 11, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars MADE IN USA, July 21, 2011
USA made product.
Wanted one for a long time but didn't want to spend the money.
Finally found a red one on Amazon on sale for $89.95, through Target.com.
Worth every cent.
Keeps ice much longer than cheap plastic coolers.
Solidly built. You get what you pay for.
USA, USA, USA!

1.0 out of 5 stars big waste of money, September 9, 2008
This review is from: Coleman Steel Cooler (Sports)
If your the type of person that thinks you get what you pay for DO NOT BUY THIS!!! I paid over $100 on a cooler because I wanted a heavy duty one that I could latch shut. The latch was the main selling point for me because I wanted to take it on canoe trips and not worry about the lid coming open in case of a tip over. At first it seemed to work just fine, until I loaded it up then the weight rendered the latch useless.(I tested another one at the store same thing, its just a bad design) I contacted the coleman company which i must say there customer service was so bad I don't even want to start to try explaining the frustration they put me through. I was told to mail in the defective latch(at my cost) I did and after 8weeks still no word from them. When I finally got a hold of them I was told that I should of never sent the latch in. Finally I got them to agree to giving me a refund. I mailed the cooler with a copy of my receipt to them 6weeks ago and I have not heard a word from them, whenever I call there I get put on hold for 15 min then sent to a voicemail box that is full. A few more things to point out, the steel that surrounds this is very thin and cheap, and the logo on the lower right hand corner was poorly installed and falling off when I took it out of the box. Bottom line I paid a lot for a cheap cooler then they really stuck it to me when I sent it back to them and didn't get my refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid product!, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Coleman Steel Cooler (Sports)
Bought this for a quick BBQ I was having. Packed it with about 30 bottles of beer with ice and it had enough room for 20 bubba burger patties on top! Only complaint is that the when fully packed the metal handles on the sides felt like they were gonna rip off - but they didn't so that was good.

3.0 out of 5 stars so,so, July 29, 2007
M. Bussiere (candia, nh United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Steel Cooler (Sports)
In no way does this cooler come close to matching the orignal steel cooler. It did keep ice very well but the durability is poor. The paint scratches off way to easy and the thin skin dents with ease. When loaded the handels felt like they were going fold up and the stops that hold them out stright were not lined up with the handle itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cooler, Excellent for Roadtrips, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Coleman Steel Cooler (Sports)
(I left a shorter review of this cooler earlier, but after further use wanted to return to leave a more comprehensive review.)

INTRODUCTION

I purchased this cooler on the recommendation of a friend who had several at a tailgate party I attended. After searching around for the best price I settled on purchasing the green colored cooler (which was the cheapest at the time) from Amazon. As a prime eligible purchase, it arrived two days later in perfect condition. Absolutely no dings, scratches, or dents like other reviews mention. It was perfectly packaged in factory boxes.

APPEARANCE

The cooler is plastic encased in steel. The colored portion you see is steel whereas the white portion is plastic. Some people seem to believe this cooler is all steel. It is not. It is steel belted as the description clearly states. The latch is metal and plastic. The handles are also metal but with plastic grips. The cooler's appearance is stylish. Also, there is NO bottle opener on this version of the cooler. Some reviews allude to the presence of a bottle opener on the outside of the cooler. There is certainly not one on the version I ordered.

FUNCTIONALITY AND USE

Hands down this is the best cooler I have ever owned. I take a lot of road trips and travel a lot for work and used to carry along an old generic plastic cooler with me to keep snacks, water, and soda. This cooler has replaced my old beat up travel buddy. It fits nicely in the back of my Ford Escape and has more then enough storage space for meats, cheese, bread, yogurt, fruit, beer, and ice. I can stock it with enough food for a 3-5 day trip easily. The cooler keeps ice for about two to three days outside of extreme temperatures. Two or three two liter bottles of ice are enough to keep everything cold for at least 2 says. If necessary, the ice can be supplemented with a bag of two from the motel to get you through the last day or two of your trip. I do not use the chemical ice packs (except one small one, see below), but they might last a little longer.

Now just one thing to consider before you purchase this item. The cooler can get heavy especially when fully loaded. Of course it depends on what you put in the cooler, but I have loaded mine up to what was probably more then fifty pounds. That can be a lot of weight to carry especially longer distances. Unless you are a large burly man don't plan on carry this cooler, fully loaded, around all day long. (The plastic grips do a good job of stopping the handles from cutting into your hands when carrying and it is on the heavy side). To get around this limitation, I keep a small cold pack in the cooler and a small insulated bag I got as a freebie at a convention. Whenever I need to take something from the car to a different location and do not want to lug the entire cooler I just place what I need in the insulated bag with the cold pack.

TIPS

1. Don't waste your money buying bagged ice at convenience stores. Fill recycled two liter bottles 3/4 way full of water and freeze them. Use these bottles as ice packs. It will not only save you the mess of melted ice, but also a few dollars because you won't have to buy ice.

2. Make sure to chill everything that will go in the cooler at least overnight. This will help extend the life of the ice in the cooler.

3. It is useful to keep something like a bottle opener or cork screw in your cooler. Even a small folding knife can be a lifesaver when you need to cut open a package or some food.

CONCLUSION

This cooler is well worth the money. Yes, you can find cheaper alternatives in stores and online. But, the value of this cooler cannot be surpassed. You may save a few dollars by buying a generic plastic cooler, but those savings will quickly be lost with all your ice purchases and loss of food due to heat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for sentimental reasons, but not what you remember, May 29, 2008
I have fantastic memories of loading the original version of this cooler into the back of my dad's boat and riding out to a lake island for camping trips. He probably still has it somewhere. My fiance and I registered for this cooler out of nostalgia and for that reason are pretty happy with what we got. It's a good-looking cooler, very solid and a real classic.

Now for the changes-

There is a lot more plastic on the updated version than the original. The handle that covers the latch was metal on the old one, is plastic on the new one. The new latch isn't as strong as the original and looks like it might be easily opened if the cooler were to tip over in the back of a car or truck. I remember the original having a plug that screwed in and this one doesn't. The current model has a pop out plug that again, looks like it could open accidentally without much coercion.

The biggest bummer of all was that they took away the bottle opener! Hey Colman! WHY? That was one of the coolest features of all!

All in all, we are really happy with our new cooler. If you're looking for the general vibe of the original, it's there. If you want the real deal, hit eBay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Coleman 54-quart Steel-Belted Cooler, November 13, 2013
This review is from: Coleman Steel Cooler (Sports)
I ordered a Coleman 54 qt. steel-belted cooler and when i got it, it was all plastic. I read a lot of the reviews and some people received a cooler w/ a steel wrapper and wrote favorable reviews. i got the all plastic version of the (steel-belted) cooler and paid over $100.00. i'd value the cooler at $45.00 ( I sent it back and got a refund.)

5.0 out of 5 stars love this!, March 10, 2014
zanie (of california) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Steel Cooler (Sports)
Best cooler ever! I already had the stainless steel one but have always wanted coleman to come out with an all black one, and they did! I only wished that there wasn't any white showing... but that's ok I'll take it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but that's about it!, September 5, 2007
This review is from: Coleman Steel Cooler (Sports)
I bought this cooler because of all the great reviews. I was so excited when I got it. I thought it looks great, that's why I gave it a 3 star rating or else it would have been 1 star. I tested it that night I got home. I put bottled water and soda and dumped ice on top. That was around 8PM. By 11PM (3 hours later!), I opened the cooler and ice was halfway melted. There was still ice left. Closed the lid back and left it there and checked on it again the following night when I got home. No more ice, just water! I can't believe other reviewers said that it could keep ice for 3 to 4 days! Mine was just 24 hours inside a 78 degree temp home. Did I just get a bad unit?

Coleman Company 54-Quart Steel Belted Cooler, Silver