5.0 out of 5 stars I SNEER AT HURRICANES!
Well, O.K., I don't sneer at hurricanes. But after Hurricane Ike and a week without power, we decided to upgrade our emergency lighting to more than flashlights, candles and chemical light sticks.

Published on October 9, 2008 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Batteries are expensive
It takes 8 D batteries and the lantern only runs for about 10 hours on high, not 18 like it claims. Also the clear plastic shield for the light scratches easy enough to scratch it with your fingernail on accident. I would suggest a propane lantern if your looking to light up your camp at night, cheaper and brighter. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because it will make a...
Published on November 6, 2011 by Wallace

5.0 out of 5 stars I SNEER AT HURRICANES!, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Coleman Rugged Battery Powered Lantern (Family Size) (Sports)

I bought three of these family-sized Coleman lanterns and three MicroPacker lanterns (also reviewed). The first time I turned on this family-sized lantern I said "WOW!" This is a serious light! I measured the light output of this lantern (I'm a photojournalist) and discovered it puts out half the light of a bare 40 watt bulb, but much, much more light than a 25 watt bulb. That is plenty of light for reading and walking around like a human being instead of stumbling around with flashlights.

The "low" setting is almost as bright as the "high" setting (only one-half stop dimmer), but extends the battery life from 17 hours to a fantastic 28 hours! I figure one set (8) of fresh "D" cells should last though a week of dark nights.

The family-sized lantern is tough and well-made. It's not waterproof, but I wouldn't worry about taking it out into the rain. It doesn't have rubber seals, but the nice, tight fittings should keep it dry.

One minor point: the large clear housing is a Coleman tradition, but a simple clear cylinder would be more streamlined and compact. The lantern is about the size of a full-sized gas mantle unit. I wouldn't backpack with it, but it is a great unit for emergencies and base camps. Now if Coleman only made a battery-powered air conditioner . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, and got us through two power outages., December 16, 2006
I bought two of these 8 D-cell lanterns for an impending storm, and sure enough the storm happened. Two of these lanterns could light the main floor of our house enough to comfortably walk around and see everything. I was told that one of our neighbors thought we had a generator. So, stock up on batteries next time there's a sale, and be ready for those power blackouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars This lantern rocks!, December 21, 2007
This gives off a lot of light. When I put it on a table with a mirror behind it, it's even better. During a power outage, I can easily read with the amount of light this lantern produces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, June 11, 2006
I just bought this lantern for camping and it works great. I would highly recommend it. It takes a lot of batteries but it lasts a long time and is very bright. The smaller version takes less batteries but works about the same. I have now added this lantern to my hurricane supplies, as it will come in handy if I lose power this season.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good lantern, January 11, 2007
G. Treado (Leesburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
The lantern is very sturdy and provides a bright white light that shines up to 20 feet if you hold it correctly. It is rugged and sturday. It fell from about 4 or 5 feet onto the ground a few times without breaking and kept shinning. The one minor problem with this is the batteries only last about 12 hours, so stock up on D batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars works for me, February 28, 2009
This was actually the third one I have bought. I had two in my house. We recently had a severe ice storm in Kentucky. I used one for myself and one for my disabled wife in another part of the house. The one I bought was for a neighbor who did not have power for five days. The lantern is reliable, provides good light, and has remarkably long endurance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and convenient, October 3, 2008
I have tried several similar lamps. This is bright enough to read by comfortably. It's sturdy and uses easy to install D batteries which are available everywhere. Two light levels saves battery power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman manufactures terrific products., May 6, 2007
I bought two lanterns for backup in case of a power outage and they're terrific; lightweight, economical and reliable. Would recommend highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dependable but not ultra-bright, January 17, 2009
I received one of these lanterns as a gift a few years ago and have found it to be handy and dependable both for camping and for when the electricity goes off. So I gave one as a gift this year. I like the battery type because you don't have any fire and there are no mantles to break. It is better than rechargable because you can replace batteries immediately. However this is not as bright as a propane lantern. Ruth

5.0 out of 5 stars Great emergency light, February 21, 2009
very good emergency lamp.I got one for one of these large ones and another of the smaller ones of the same lamp both for my mother and I was so impressed with their ease of use that I ordered another large family one and two of the smaller ones for my wife and I in our own home. these things are great!.they give plenty of light and last for a very very long time on one set of batteries, and the good part is that they use the cheaper large D type batteries.the large lamp gives good whole room light and the smaller ones are very light for each person to carry from room to room as needed.This larger family one is a bit heavier due to it useing 8 D batteries. but the smaller is a lot lighter in weight due to it only using 4 D batteries.

Coleman Rugged Battery Powered Lantern (Family Size)
$29.99 $22.82