Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 7, 2006
Appears rugged enough to withstand the rigors of car camping. It's not particularly bright, but will illuminate your immediate area adequately. The difference in light output between High and Low settings is barely noticeable, you might as well use it on Low most of the time to save battery.
on June 28, 2011
This lantern works perfect for a small group (3-5) of people to hang around. Also, works well on a standard sized picnic table. If you have a larger group (or several tables) you will need more lighting. I bought this mostly for camping, also for emergency preparedness. It is recommended you have several light sources (flashlights and lanterns). This is perfect size and output for an average living room. With the bulb, I feel like it is safer than the propane or gas lanterns. Also, the rated run time on this 4D-battery version is better the the larger 8D version of this. Math-wise, if you only have 8 Size D batteries; you will get more run time from this lantern, then the larger version. Have a look at the specs of this and the larger 8D battery version. The 8D version also doesn't output that much more lumens... they might be equal.
on January 14, 2007
I just got two of these little lanterns for the winter time, in case the lights fail in Reno here (the winter is looking to get crazy this year). These lanterns are smallish but give out a good amount of light. They aren't something you'd want to go spelunking with but they are fairly durable for home or light camping use. The battery duration is decent and the controls simple. I'd definitely recommend them.
VINE VOICEon December 28, 2005
This is a good light that puts out a nice amount of light and doesn't kill batteries too fast because of the flourescent light. Good for blackouts and a nice handle.
on September 16, 2010
I love this lantern! Was delivered undamaged, looked just like the photo and surprise- it works just as stated! I'm using it to see to write this review!
Lantern is 10 1/2" H with handle down, about 5 1/2" W. The lite area is 4" H x 4 1/2" W gives off great light for a small area running on 4 D batteries. Would probably be great in a small 2-3 person pup tent, will know later when I review tent purchase later! Currently using in the house for emergency power outages. Would recommend being careful not to touch plastic lens cover, does seem to scratch very easily. Not sure how lens will hold up under cleaning. Even with batteries in it not too heavy to carry. battery compartment easy to get to and easy to open/ close as bottom just screws on/off. replacement bulbs carried at local walamrt in camping dept. Handle of good quality for a plastic unit, also has a rubber grip at top, nice! I also agree not much difference between high and low setting, so I use on low to save batteries.

So far my only concern is the lens cover for light, shouldn't scratch so easily, could interfere with light brightness with frequant cleaning. That is the only part that is not rugged on this lantern.
VINE VOICEon September 23, 2008
After Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana three years ago, local news stations provided a list of items that families should keep handy in case of emergency situations. I found this Coleman Rugged Battery Powered Lantern (Personal Size) to be perfect for my needs. In fact, I'm thinking I need one for both ends of the house to prevent carrying back and forth.

I have not had to use it yet, but I have gone through the procedures of replacing batteries (Oh my, I need back-up packs of D-batteries--4 are needed). The length of time for the lighting is 14 hours on high and 23 hours are low. I agree with other reviewers: it is hard to see much difference between high and low. I have also practiced replacing bulbs.

All is good. I hope I don't need this Colman Lantern, but I'm ready if I do.
1515 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2006
We took these lanterns on our camping trip this past weekend and they worked admirably. I was concerned that I may have chosen the wrong size however two of these worked admirably for our needs. I would suggest these handy sized lanterns to anyone that is looking for serviceable without size and weight.
on August 15, 2006
Shines brighter than i expected. I keep as back up for hurricanes that cross my part of sunny florida!
on February 17, 2008
this is a very good lil lantern for the money. Gives off the amount of light I need when the power goes out. Liked it so much bought another one. Would recommend it. Compact and light weight.
on September 24, 2007
This personal sized coleman is perfect for an electrical outage or camping. It's nice to have a safe alternative to kerosene. Just keep D sized batteries on hand and you are ready to go! I recommend this for anyone kids to adults. It has an easy to use switch high or low; although, it's hard to tell the difference. Both illuminate well.