4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for a fair price
Appears rugged enough to withstand the rigors of car camping. It's not particularly bright, but will illuminate your immediate area adequately. The difference in light output between High and Low settings is barely noticeable, you might as well use it on Low most of the time to save battery.
Published on August 7, 2006 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lantern While It Worked
From the outside, this is a great lantern. The plactic is of high quality, the light is bright, and the wieght is good. However, mine didn't seem to last. I put maybe 1/2 an hour on it and then I put it away for the winter. A few months later, it won't work. I but in new batteries and all but nothing seems to happen. I don't know if I was just an unlucky custumer who got...
Published on December 3, 2010 by Niamiah

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for a fair price, August 7, 2006
Amazon Customer (Earth, Milky Way Galaxy) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nice for the price., June 28, 2011
Amol Kumar (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
This lantern works perfect for a small group (3-5) of people to hang around. Also, works well on a standard sized picnic table. If you have a larger group (or several tables) you will need more lighting. I bought this mostly for camping, also for emergency preparedness. It is recommended you have several light sources (flashlights and lanterns). This is perfect size and output for an average living room. With the bulb, I feel like it is safer than the propane or gas lanterns. Also, the rated run time on this 4D-battery version is better the the larger 8D version of this. Math-wise, if you only have 8 Size D batteries; you will get more run time from this lantern, then the larger version. Have a look at the specs of this and the larger 8D battery version. The 8D version also doesn't output that much more lumens... they might be equal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy, January 14, 2007
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
I just got two of these little lanterns for the winter time, in case the lights fail in Reno here (the winter is looking to get crazy this year). These lanterns are smallish but give out a good amount of light. They aren't something you'd want to go spelunking with but they are fairly durable for home or light camping use. The battery duration is decent and the controls simple. I'd definitely recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great emergency light, December 28, 2005
Ken Shaw (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
This is a good light that puts out a nice amount of light and doesn't kill batteries too fast because of the flourescent light. Good for blackouts and a nice handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Served it's purpose well, October 4, 2006
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
We took these lanterns on our camping trip this past weekend and they worked admirably. I was concerned that I may have chosen the wrong size however two of these worked admirably for our needs. I would suggest these handy sized lanterns to anyone that is looking for serviceable without size and weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great light back-up in time of bad weather, September 23, 2008
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
After Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana three years ago, local news stations provided a list of items that families should keep handy in case of emergency situations. I found this Coleman Rugged Battery Powered Lantern (Personal Size) to be perfect for my needs. In fact, I'm thinking I need one for both ends of the house to prevent carrying back and forth.

I have not had to use it yet, but I have gone through the procedures of replacing batteries (Oh my, I need back-up packs of D-batteries--4 are needed). The length of time for the lighting is 14 hours on high and 23 hours are low. I agree with other reviewers: it is hard to see much difference between high and low. I have also practiced replacing bulbs.

All is good. I hope I don't need this Colman Lantern, but I'm ready if I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars adequate, August 15, 2006
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
Shines brighter than i expected. I keep as back up for hurricanes that cross my part of sunny florida!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, money well spent!, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
I love this lantern! Was delivered undamaged, looked just like the photo and surprise- it works just as stated! I'm using it to see to write this review!
Lantern is 10 1/2" H with handle down, about 5 1/2" W. The lite area is 4" H x 4 1/2" W gives off great light for a small area running on 4 D batteries. Would probably be great in a small 2-3 person pup tent, will know later when I review tent purchase later! Currently using in the house for emergency power outages. Would recommend being careful not to touch plastic lens cover, does seem to scratch very easily. Not sure how lens will hold up under cleaning. Even with batteries in it not too heavy to carry. battery compartment easy to get to and easy to open/ close as bottom just screws on/off. replacement bulbs carried at local walamrt in camping dept. Handle of good quality for a plastic unit, also has a rubber grip at top, nice! I also agree not much difference between high and low setting, so I use on low to save batteries.

So far my only concern is the lens cover for light, shouldn't scratch so easily, could interfere with light brightness with frequant cleaning. That is the only part that is not rugged on this lantern.

4.0 out of 5 stars good lil lantern, February 17, 2008
Darc (northern,minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
this is a very good lil lantern for the money. Gives off the amount of light I need when the power goes out. Liked it so much bought another one. Would recommend it. Compact and light weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for emergencies or camping, September 24, 2007
Jane (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman 4D Rugged Personal Size Rugged Lantern (Sports)
This personal sized coleman is perfect for an electrical outage or camping. It's nice to have a safe alternative to kerosene. Just keep D sized batteries on hand and you are ready to go! I recommend this for anyone kids to adults. It has an easy to use switch high or low; although, it's hard to tell the difference. Both illuminate well.