5.0 out of 5 stars The Rolls Royce Of Cooler/freezer - UPDATED

Published on August 5, 2007 by budwzr

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool Idea with little Usefulness
Published on September 2, 2007 by Paul Kasman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rolls Royce Of Cooler/freezer - UPDATED, August 5, 2007
This review is from: Coleman Stirling Power Cooler with Free A/C Adaptor Included (Sports)
Still going strong!

==============================================================
I use this as a beer fridge and camping cooler. It draws only 4 amps at 12 volts, and that's at max freeze. I've had it running continuously for two years no problems, just clean the filter once a month. This cooler uses a Stirling Free Piston compressor that has no friction. Well worth the money over the thermo-couple type you find at WalMart. Do the research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Freezer- update, July 2, 2007
Works as described. Keeps things COLD. I use it in a remote cabin/ off the grid. Yet I can have ice cream and other frozen items all week long.
It's quiet and doesn't draw much power. I'm very happy with this product so far. Next comes the longevity test....stay tuned.

After two years of ownership, the freezer is still working great. I see the freezer is currently unavailable from Amazon. Too bad. If you can find one of these babies, get it.

Here it is, August 8, 2011 and the Coleman Freezer is still working great. As a matter of fact, it has run almost nonstop since I put it into service. I am reaching for more ice cream as I type this...

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FREEZER!!! But not for everyone...., April 27, 2008
I have owned this freezer for about 3 years. Bought at Coleman Outlet for $300. Worth every penny, for me.
We love to go vacationing, sometimes short car trips, sometimes 2 weeks. My buddy and I love to check out different supermarkets for food products we can no longer find in our home area. Whether it is frozen California Pizza Kitchen, or tamales from Colorado, we needed something to transport frozen finds back home.

The Engel freezers always seemed too big, too heavy and way too expensive (600-1000) for our needs. The Themoelectric coolers are great for pop, but that is about it.

When I found this freezer, it seemed like it was everything I was looking for. This is about half the weight of an Engel, and half the price.
This is much more powerful than a Thermoelectric, but it uses LESS energy to run.

I only have a couple complaints about this freezer. First, While the size is about the same as Colemans thermoelectric, this will only hold about half the product. Also my Freezer tends to make a low pitched humming noise on the highest setting. My wife and Buddy claim they do not notice it, but I do. I avoid using the highest setting.

If you just need an electric cooler for a quick trip / picnic, I recommend a Coleman Thermoelectric.

If own a cabin, boat, or semi and you want a "Portable" freezer that you do not plan moving a lot, get the Engel.

If you are like me and need something in between, get this.

Plus its just so cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best, February 12, 2008
I have had many thermoelectric coolers over the years. This one is a new breed. I have owned it for 8 months and it has worked great. I use it on vacations for my beer and the kids sodas in our cabin. It keeps things cold regardless of the ambient temp in the car or in the cabin. As far as the car, I have left it for half the day while hunting and it has not had any effect on the battery.
It is a bit expensive but you get what you pay for.
I am very satisfied with this product

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good [UPDATE: October 3, 2011], June 19, 2010
** UPDATE **

Cooler is STILL running strong! Absolutely LOVE this cooler!!

[UPDATE]
I have to say that the cooler is still working great! Nothing new to report besides that. It still cools items down as described.

I finally purchased one since the time was right. I've been wanting one for a while now. Anyways, I have had it for a couple of days. It has been on 2 trips in the truck. First day it had to keep bottles of water, sodas, and some snacks cool. The temperature in the truck got up to 95 degrees F. Since there was so much water, I decided to put it on Freeze-1 setting (14 Degrees F). I pre-chilled the cooler the night before, and put in warm water bottles and soda. The cooler chilled everything nice and cold by the morning! It kept the drinks nice and cold throughout the day, despite the high heat. I am very impressed with it chilling items from room temperature.

I have owned several coolers, including the thermoelectric kinds. They are very power hungry, plus they are very limited to cooling items ~20 degrees colder than ambient temperature. They are basically good for drinks only.

I will be updating this review down the road so I can comment on the longevity test. From what I have read about the other reviews, this product is designed to last for a while (Greater than 2 years).

PRO'S:
1) Can actually chill contents between fridge and freezer temperatures!
2) For the price, it's a good size cooler.
3) It's nice running the cooler for the whole day and not worry about the battery being drained by it.
4) When your running the cooler on one of the Cool settings, it is very quiet.
5) Very efficient cooling using Stirling technology. It's very cool (Pun intended)!!

CON'S:
1) The colder you set the cooler (Freeze-1, or Freeze-2), the louder the "Hum" sound gets.
2) It is a little awkward to move, but I overcame that by purchasing a folding luggage carrier. It's very easy to move it around now.
3) It's not "Frost-Free", so there will be frost build-up on the cooler settings. It's easy to defrost, but it still has to be done every once in a while (Depending on your setting).

So far I am very happy with the investment, despite the CON'S I have noted above. I do plan on updating my review down the road and add about the longevity record.

If your curious as to what it looks on the inside, check out: [...]
They have taken several pictures, and a couple of videos with the engine running.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FREEZER!!! But not for everyone...., May 15, 2008

If you are like me and need something in between, get this.

Plus its just so cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, August 29, 2011
Excellent product that keeps foods cold (or frozen) while consuming very little 12-VDC current and producing little noise. I have two of these that I use on my boats. Last summer one of these kept our foods cold on a 1,200 mile coastal cruise for over two months. The original unit I purchased over 4 years ago and is still operating like new. Too bad they are discontinued.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a bargain, July 5, 2010
I'm an over the road truckdriver and I'm so glad I bought this fridge a little over 2 years ago. Before that I was using thermoelectric fridges that cool to 35 degrees below ambient temperature. That sounds good in theory but fails the first time you happen to park your truck where direct sunlight can shine through the windshield on the fridge. Checking that my food was ok isn't a game I enjoyed playing.

The fridge I wanted was the Engel, out of Australia, but I couldn't justify the $700 price tag. When I saw the Coleman on (what I thought was) a closeout sale at the Coleman outlet stores I jumped. It's fantastic. I keep it set on cool #3 (out of 5 - 3 fridge modes and 2 freezer modes) and even though I keep the fridge sitting on the passenger seat in my truck where it's frequently subjected to direct sunlight, everything stays perfectly cold. Now that I think about it I've never seen any variation in temps at all.

I start my truck run with a gallon of milk and your typical condiments. That kills maybe half of the capacity. Food in foodsaver style vacuum freezer bags and tupperware goes on the other side. There's room on top for a few beverages. So it's a little tight on interior space but that's a tradeoff I'm happy to live with.

What the guy was talking about with it not having a battery I just don't get. If it came with a battery they would have touted how long it runs between charges, how long it takes to charge, what technology is involved (lithium-ion?) etc. Maybe he's thinking they should have included a 65lb deep cycle lead acid battery with it???

Today I drove through Missouri and Oklahoma with temps in the low to mid 90s and the Coleman on the seat next to me. For lunch I nuked something that I'd cooked on the grill and froze in a vacuum bag. (Another good purchase that compliments a good fridge is a Seal-a-meal - 4 stars). Now I'm in Texas and I'm enjoying a perfectly chilled beverage and shortly I'll pull something from the fridge for dinner. Not quite home cooking but close, damn close.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool Idea with little Usefulness, September 2, 2007
This cooler runs on free piston Stirling cycle technology. It is, I believe, the very first consumer product available using this 43 year old technology. So, I just had to have one. Stirling cycle engines have themselves been around for about a hundred years, without coming to market! Stirling engines and Stirling coolers are completely different from the ubiquitous internal combustion engine and Rankine (think common refrigerator) cooler. In theory they are far more efficient. Stirling coolers have been used for years in the warheads of ICBM's to keep cool the avionics necessary for reliable missile guidance systems.

The Coleman product works exactly as advertised, sort of. You see the great advantage of Stirling technology is its efficiency. So, combining that feature with Coleman's claims that it is "Completely Portable" and has a "low battery LED" I foolishly thought that I could take this cooler to the beach or camping, and its Stirling engine would run ultra-efficiently off of its small battery. I imagined that the extra weight of the Stirling engine and battery, and the modest size of the food holding area were in large part a tradeoff, because I wouldn't have the bulk or weight of carrying 15-20 lb of ice. Thus justifying the roughly thirty pound weight of the empty cooler.

Well, I was wrong. It does not come with any battery, and therefore it must be plugged-in to a wall outlet, or to a cigarette lighter of a vehicle in order to run. So, my question is: If it has to be plugged-in to run, why does it need to be so ultra-efficient? Coleman has taken the chief advantage of its product and made it irrelevant.

I called Coleman and spoke with a nice woman in Wichita. She saw my point. She said that the low battery indicator is so that if you run the cooler off of your car battery and you don't have your car running, you'll be warned before you run the battery too far down. Ok, but there are only two problems with this: First, the instructions say to always keep the car running while the cooler is plugged-in and running. Second, car batteries are not deep cycle batteries, they are designed to provide a burst of energy (cold cranking power) to start the vehicle. So, the instruction manual makes sense, though for an hour or two in a parked car one should be okay. Of course, if the car is parked and not running, you are not likely around to see the low battery LED light, are you?

My opinion is that someone in product development really screwed-up. But, I think I am going to keep my Cooler anyhow, for its historical significance, if nothing else. I am also researching getting a 12 volt, 18 amp, deep cycle, AGM sealed battery (about 12 lb) and an alligator clip connector to carry separately in a tote-bag. Of course, I'll need a battery charger, too. But, then I would have a truly portable cooler. I still have to crunch the numbers though and make sure I would get a full day at the beach, or out fishing in my row boat. Bigger batteries are available, but they jump to about 25 lb, and that gets to be too much to lug around.

Let's hope someone at Coleman is paying attention and they get this right in the next generation of this machine loaded with potential, but with very limited usefulness as currently configured. My vote would be for an internal (possibly optional and definitely removable) battery with a charger, two big wheels on one end, and a telescoping handle like airline luggage so you can wheel the sucker around without bending down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool Yes, Useful No, September 1, 2007

My opinion is that someone in product development really screwed-up. But, I think I am going to keep my Cooler anyhow, for its historical significance, if nothing else. I am also researching getting a 12 volt, 18 amp, deep cycle, AGM sealed battery (about 12 lb) and an alligator clip connector to carry separately in a tote-bag. Of course, I'll need a battery charger, too. But, then I would have a truly portable cooler. I still have to crunch the numbers though and make sure I would get a full day at the beach, or out fishing in my row boat. Bigger batteries are available, but they jump to about 25 lb, and that gets to be a bit much to lug around.

Rate and Discover Movies