5.0 out of 5 stars I lived for a month in this tent!
Published on February 17, 2010 by jyg

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tent but has some flaws
This is a great tent if you are camping in a cooler time of year or higher altitude. Constructed well and easy to setup up. I only have two complaints.
Published on May 31, 2011 by Brandywine

5.0 out of 5 stars I lived for a month in this tent!, February 17, 2010
jyg (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman SunDome 9- by 7- Foot Four- Person Dome Tent (Green) (Sports)
I actually had the 4 person version of this tent, but in any case, it was the best tent I could possibly ask for. I spent a month in this tent in Nassau, Bahamas right by the beach in the month of December in a community with many other tents around as well. Many people had problems with mildew and mold building up in their tents and even major leaks during heavy rains. Some even had issues with ants and rodents breaking into their tents. I had none of those issues with this tent and all the little details inside the tent were very thoughtful and convenient. It was sad to have to break it down and head back home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible tent for its price, January 9, 2010
My wife and I went camping to an isolated beach quite far inside Brazil, they were charging for a rented tent about US$ 100 a night, so I decided to bring my own tent there, and I bought this one only for it's price and low weight.

What a pleasant surprise it was, we setted it up in 10 minutes during the night (first time camping for us), it was spacious enough for the queen size inflatable bed and two suitcases, even with wind and two big thunderstorms with rains the tent never fainted, only about 10 drops of water fell from the seams, but that was all, we stayed in it 5 nights, of course a bigger tent would have been better, but for the price and the weight (I had to travel 4 countries by plane + 5 hours in bus) it definitely was the best deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid tent handled the wind storm, May 19, 2010
I purchased the 9x7 Coleman dome at a local sporting goods store. It was a last minute purchase to have a larger tent for my son and I to use. I really wasn't expecting much since it was a Coleman and on the low-end side of available tents, and felt that I had over paid since it was at a retail store.

1) After seen the price here, I got a bargain. I paid $55 plus tax vs. $65 plus shipping. So...yay!
2) I have been repeatedly impressed with the overall quality.

It doesn't have a full rain fly and it uses an extra pole for a ridge in the fly, but the material is quality. The tent has some extra features too. There is a tiny zipper in one corner that you can run wires in for electric. The zipper has a layer of material covering it so it will not have direct exposure to rain. It also has what looks like a doggy door. This is considered a "Cooler Access" door so you can leave your ice chest our side the tent and simply go through the flap to snag a soda. This door has a vent screen and the material covering the zipper for rain protection.

The tub style bottom is nice and thick and the side venting under the rain fly is wide open. Like the front door, the back window can be open and vented. My initial intent was to buy cheap until the family started to get into camping. Once the cheap tents wear out, I wouldn't mind spending more. This tent doesn't seem like it will wear out anytime soon though!

I seam sealed and rain protected the tent and rain fly as soon as I bought it. I also practiced setting it up several times. I did this with the Wenzel 2 man tent I reviewed on Amazon. I haven't had to wait out a rain storm yet, but I feel better with the extra protection. The included stakes are pretty thin. After two trips some are starting to bend from the hammering. Eventually I will replace these. The tent is kinda heavy. When you combine that with a ground cover the weight really stacks up. If you are sharing the tent and planning on hiking, make sure the load is split up or off load some of your gear to a buddy. Finally, add some reflective tape or something to the side guy wires so they can be seen in the dark. My kiddo tripped over one and kinda hurt himself. Don't worry, he's a pretty tuff little squirt so he was fine.

So, now for the wind storm story. On our last trip out we had three tents including this Coleman. We arrived and setup in the dark and in light to moderate winds. The Coleman setup quickly with two people (it can be setup with 1 patient person if necessary). Later that night, the winds really pounded us. My estimate puts the winds gusting in the mid 40mph range with steady winds around 20mph.

Luckily we had the corner of the tent into the wind. Since it was late when we arrived, I (accidently) didn't finish pounding the stakes into the ground for the rain fly. The guy wires that keep tension on the fly came off the stakes and caused the sides of the fly to flap violently in the wind. Despite my blunder, the tent held up great. The rain fly is fine and held up to the abuse.

I definitely recommend this as a starter tent for car camping in the 1-3 day trip range. I still don't know about how well it will hold up in rain. When that day comes I will add additional comments.

On a side note, don't forget to put away the rain fly pole and leave it on the back of your wife's car. Apparently the pole does not survive multiple impacts on the ground and being run over by hundreds of vehicles. Luckily with a hack saw you can cut an extra pole to fit perfectly in a matter of minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman 9 x 7 Sundome Tent, April 5, 2010
This tent is very easy to put up and take down. It took 10 minutes. I camped out with my husband in March 2010. We placed a queen size air matress inside, sleeping bags, all of our gear and we still had room to change in. This tent would be great for a family of 4. It didn't rain but be water proofed the seams anyway. I don't know how it will stand up to the rainy season in Florida, but we'll find out.

My husband gets very hot easily and the side vent was very convenient. I like the mesh pockets for things you may lose or don't want to break (phones, ipods, etc.) I think this is going to be my favorite tent out of all the tents I have purchased for camping.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy camper so far!, August 23, 2010
This is my very first tent for my second camping trip ever. I bought this tent for a 2 night camping trip I am going on in a couple days with some friends, and I am a city girl to the core. I bought it for my boyfriend (6 foot 5 inches tall) and I (5 foot 5 inches) to sleep in. I initally was going to buy the 3 person one for the two of us, but thought with his hight and all the stuff I will end up bringing I should go with the 4 person for the two of us. I feel like it may be a little too big... but at least maybe then it will last for many camping trips, even after I get a dog.

So, when it arrived today the first thing I wanted to do was set it up - so I did exactly that, and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do it all by myself in less then a half hour (having never set up a tent before).

I loved how easy set up was, as someone else noted I love that the instructions are sewed into the bag. I also like that when I stuffed it back into the bag, I did it with very little difficulty. It also packs up pretty small. I also like the zip windows and the two pockets on the walls to hold things like my lip gloss and cell phone within reach. :)

I think so far the only thing I don't like is that the tent itself isn't completely covered - you must put the rain cover on top to get your privacy, and at the same time anyone could really just stick there head up underneath it to look in... and since I am going with a bunch of friends, I would kind of like to have a bit more privacy for my boyfriend!

(Update on 7/14/2011)
I recently took this tent camping again this summer and am updating my review to five stars! The boyfriend and I added out queen sized airmatress to the mix, and it was a perfect fit for the two of us. Plenty of room for all our stuff, and our air mattreet, sleeping bags, etc! We also put the rain cover on a little differently and had plenty of privacy. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the two wall pockets for storing stuff. I love that I can store my lipgloss there, my earrings, tissues, or even throw my flashlight on it's "lantern" setting to get light throughout the camp with.

My only tiny complaint now is that those pockets can't hold a lot of weight - or they dip down towards your head, and create an opening between the tent and the rain cover (where someone would be able to also peek in if they really wanted). I think I am going to purchase the coleman tent light to solve this problem because I've noticed putting my flashlight in those pockets is the only real thing that creates this problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tent but has some flaws, May 31, 2011
1. Several reviewers mentioned that it fit a queen size air mattress easily. It does fit the mattress but that is it! We barely had room for our bags and feet if sitting at the edge. Would have bought the 10 x 10 had I known how tight a fit it would be.
2. The rain tarp is necessary if you expect to have any amount of privacy at all. The screens are net and open without it. Even with the rain tarp up, you have to unzip the opposite sides to have air ventilate and you lose the privacy. If it is hot you will either sweat like crazy in privacy or have zero privacy.

If you don't care about privacy or heat this tent is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tent....but have some privacy concerns, June 1, 2010
My family of 4 (2 very young children) had our very first camping trip this past Memorial Day weekend. I wanted something that comfortably holds our king size air mattress. It seemed to fit the bill...especially after reading the glowing reviews.

Set up was fairly easy(about 15 mins w/2 people). The directions were sewn into the carrying case, so there is no concern about losing them. The poles and stakes come in their own little sacks. It keeps everything in its place.

The only downside is that the rainfly does not completely cover the tent sides, which are mesh. Anyone can poke their head underneath and look inside. I wish the sides were built like the front/back which give you the option of mesh or solid material.

Overall, it's a great tent, however, the city slicker in me makes me a little paranoid at the lack of privacy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart buy, December 27, 2011
I used this tent all last summer and still use it. I am a 21 year old outdoor enthusiast and camp with minimal equiptment because all of my money goes toward beer. This tent has made it through some rough times and is still in working conditions. I must say its durability has proven to be outstanding. Using nothing more than duct tape i have managed to keep this tent for next summers festivities and recommend this tent to anyone looking for a high quality tent for a cheap price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little tent!, June 16, 2011
Amez "Amez" (North Eastern US) - See all my reviews
Love this tent. It is small but if you put a twin matress in it you have more then enough room for your gear a cooler and in my case my little dog with his bed etc.

I used this the weekend that I got it. Did not get to camp until dark and with a little help and a flashlight had this up in less then 20 mins from taking it out of the car. Also there was a "monsoon" pretty much the entire weekend. not a drop of water came through even though I did not take the precautions other reviewers gave about water proofing. I thought for sure from other reviews I would have gotten wet but was very happy that me my dog and all my stuff stayed completely dry.

This is a fantastic buy if you are a solo camper it is worth the extra $ to upgrade from the 7x7.

Oh in a hint for the rain fly the pole goes from front to back not side to side. If you undo one of the sections of the pole and insert it in both the holders it is alot easier to get in. Then just reconnect the section after it is in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic tent at a great price, July 12, 2010
This is my second Coleman Sundome tent. I have use them for over 9 years in 1-month camping trips in the US and Europe. When I bought the first one I was not expecting much based on the price. That one survived hurracane winds and rain in Venice Italy and in another trip 2 weeks of practically non-stop rain in Germany and the Alps. At the end of the second week started to leak on the corners. I made a rockie mistake I have corrected since then. Before taking this tent to the field seal the seams not protected by the fly inside and outside (outside with glue-like sealant) and spray the lower part of the tent with water repelent. I have done that in my new one and it is perfect.
Always take a tent repair kit (glue sealant and tape) and if possible one spare fiber glass pole. This tent has never let me down. Enjoy.

Rate and Discover Movies