4.0 out of 5 stars My conclusion after TWO WEEKS of use
Published on August 1, 2005 by Cathy H.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not at all effective
Whilst in America I decided to purchase a tooth whitening product (because whitening products with peroxide in the aren't publicly sold in the UK). This particular product caught my eye because of the price and the claim that it is easy to use.
Published on May 27, 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars My conclusion after TWO WEEKS of use, August 1, 2005
This review is from: Colgate Simply White Night Clear Whitening Gel - .34 fl oz (Health and Beauty)
Ah, so you're looking to whiten your teeth, eh? Well, teeth whitening has certainly become a huge fad lately, but one's personal success depends mainly on how they followed instructions, and just how high their initial hopes were. For me, my teeth were slightly yellowed and I was hoping for a whiter, brighter smile before beginning my freshman year in college. I had a whole summer to experiment with different methods and hopefully, achieve results.

I purchased Crest Simply White Night mainly because of the price, probably the number one reason this product is selling. At 1/3 the cost of Crest Whitestrips, S.W.N. looked friendly enough on the shelf, and I decided to give it a go.

Now, I'll admit, I was a little dissapointed when, after 4 nights of using this product, my teeth looked the same, bland yellowish shade. But trust me, stick to this product and in two weeks, you will see results as promised!!!

Directions on the package are so vague, here is what you should really do to obtain the best results:

1. Get two NAPKINS and tear each napkin in half. Smile wide, leaving a small gap between the upper and lower teeth, and use one half of a napkin with force to wipe both rows of teeth, AS WELL AS THE GUMS ABOVE, dry. Using dry fingers, run over your teeth and make sure all saliva is gone. This will help the gel stick.

2. Wad up another half of a napkin and STICK IT UNDER YOUR TONGUE. This sounds uncomfortable, but it prevents saliva from building up in your mouth as the gel dries, so the saliva wont wash the gel away.

3. Using the brush, paint a VERY THIN LAYER of gel on your two front teeth, and work your way back to the smaller teeth. Many people believe that the more gel you apply, the faster the whitening will work. This couldn't be more true, the whitening power goes to work as soon as it touches enamel, and more gel will simply be washed away by saliva and aggravate you. The package says apply in up-down pattern, but it doesn't really matter. For your smaller teeth on the bottom row, simply swipe the brush across and fill in any missed spots.

4. Thirty seconds is not enough. Use your HANDS to peel back your lips so you don't have to strain your smile for three minutes, and listen to your favorite song. Once about 2-3 minutes have passed, and this isn't painful because your fingers are propping your mouth open for you, take another half of a napkin and run it in between your bottom lip and bottom gums. You should pick up quite a significant amount of saliva. Getting rid of this saliva now will prevent it from washing away the gel as soon as you close your mouth. Repeat with upper lip and upper gums.

5. Now take the last half of the napkin, and gently press it onto your teeth, and pull off. Very very little, if any, gel should come off, and your teeth should now be try and the gel will be working. Get your mouth free of any excess saliva, and close up.

6. Go to bed

Repeat these steps for 2 weeks, routinely, and the results will be pretty pleasing. I noticed that many people are dissapointed in this product because their teeth weren't blinding white. But truth is, it's all mental. YOU may not notice the difference, because you're too busy imagining your teeth another shade whiter, but other people will notice and compliment you.

Happy whitening!

5.0 out of 5 stars much nicer than original simply white and effective!, March 29, 2004
By A Customer
I bought this product because I had used the Simply WHite last year and it started whitening my teeth, but then I had to travel and I didn't keep it up for the 14 days.
These are the reasons it is WAY better than the original Simply White.
1)Use only once a day before bed instead of twice a day.
2)You don't have to keep you teeth dry to use this version, they say it dries quickly and it does. No need to worry about not salivating since it's impossible anyway.
3)It doesn't tast half bad. Not something to eat certainly, but the little bit I taste at night is fine. The original was like you just put drain cleaner in your mouth.
As for whitening, I've been using it for 10 days now and my teeth are whiter. Not brilliant like I just had them bleached or anything, but noticably whiter when I smile. FOr the price and the ease of use I would recommend this for anyone wanting whiter teeth without a lot of fuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!, January 10, 2004
iamperfect "iamperfect" (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Overall, I have been quite pleased with this product as it gave me noticeably whiter teeth. I have given this product to several of my friends, and they have all had good results. (I am not affiliated with the company in any way.)
Advantages:
(1) One of the cheapest whitening products on the market.
(2) Easy to use .
(You do not need to keep your mouth perfectly dry while using the gel. The previous reviewer was confused.)
(3) Only whiten the teeth you want
(Unlike a strip with a gel you can control which teeth you whiten)
(4) You do not have to sleep with strips in your mouth
(5) THE PRODUCT WORKS WHEN YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
The instructions say to use the product once a day for 14 days. The negative reviewer only used the product for "a few days".
Disadvantage:
(1) This product does not work for everyone. This product, like all over the counter whitening products, only whitens yellow teeth and does not whiten grey teeth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not at all effective, May 27, 2003
By A Customer
I did not find it easy to use at all. It is very hard to keep your mouth dry while applying the gel and you'll find that it just runs off with the saliva. Once I had "invented" a way to keep my mouth dry (by putting tissue paper under my tongue) I still didn't notice any whitening. I continued using it for a few days but gave up because my teeth weren't whitening at all. I recently purchased Crest Whitestrips and they are ten times better than Colgate Simply White Night. I am only half way through the treatment and my teeth are already noticeably whiter and they only cost a few dollars more. So take my advice, buy Crest Whitestrips instead of this poor product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, July 1, 2007
I had used this several years ago and am about to buy another bottle. I had good results the first time. I didn't see much difference at first but by the end had seen quite a different. I even got a few compliments on how white my teeth were. It was pretty easy to use, just swipe on and go to bed. I had tried the Crest whitestrips however I have a wide smile and they didn't cover enough area, plus I didn't like how they slid around. This stuff worked really well for me. Would highly recommend, however don't expect pro results. It does a good job however it looks very natural, it won't get teeth super white.