4.0 out of 5 stars Decent - But Doesn't Whiten Like Whitening Gels
Published 12 months ago by 4beautyn4Now

1.0 out of 5 stars Canker sores galore!
Published on January 16, 2012 by K. Huset

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent - But Doesn't Whiten Like Whitening Gels, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Colgate Total Whitening Toothpaste Twin Pack (two 6oz tubes) (Health and Beauty)
I’ve been a user of Colgate Total Whitening Toothpaste for many years because I’ve always tried to maintain a healthy smile (I’m a receptionist so I need a white smile). But because I drink coffee at least twice a day (sometimes more!) and a lot of herbal teas, I’ve found that using just this toothpaste alone doesn’t really get my teeth white...

The best way to get white teeth is to really try some professional products specifically for tooth whitening. I’ve tried a few products, like Crest White Strips and found that the strips are really not as good as the trays. Although the Crest White Strips are easy to use, they really DO NOT cover your teeth perfectly like some other professional dental whitening kits. This Product did cover my teeth well however because of their custom heat trays, and whitening my teeth A LOT. I would say if you really want white teeth, use the Colgate Toothpaste and least 2 times a day, along side a professional Gel product like Shine Whitening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Satisfied., February 29, 2008
Gary Peterson (San Diego, California USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Have you ever noticed the variety of available toothpastes? It's overwhelming! There are numerous different brands. Some contain peroxide, others baking soda, others abrasives and other exotic potions. It's a wonder some don't come with Sani-Flush as an ingredient. Then all brands seem to have small, medium, large and extra-large sizes. Did I mention travel size and trial size? What's a guy to do?

For years, I just bought one of the half-dozen brands on sale at the local food or drug store. Then, as the toothpaste wars escalated, I bought with freely-dispensed coupons and some supermarkets doubled the value of the coupons. It became such a good deal that some toothpaste was actually free. Well, my coupon days are over and I now shop at a warehouse club store where they have a limited selection but outstanding values. I asked my dentist for advice on the best toothpaste since I was totally confused by all the claims. He suggested that "Colgate Total Whitening Gel" was the best for my particular circumstances (which, by the way, wasn't the brand in the free packet of things I received with cleaning). I also noted that this particular brand/variety was highly rated by Consumer's Reports. It supposedly helped to prevent cavities with fluoride and resisted plaque and tartar buildup, which could lead to gingivitis, all while whitening the teeth. What more could I ask for? I bought a four-pack of tubes (7.8 ounces each). I've been very pleased with the toothpaste and the price was right. Only long-term usage will tell but I'm totally satisfied at this point.

Gary Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Toothpaste, May 17, 2008
Colgate Total Plus Whitening Toothpaste, 7.8-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 6). This Toothpaste is my favorite.

The first feature is the price, and it is right.

Next, I consider whether it will be neat to use. It is. Sometimes when I buy those new hard plastic containers, they actually get messy. Also I cannot get all the toothpaste out. It is easy to get the paste out of Colgate Total Whitening Paste without spraying it all over the cabinet.

If it does not taste good, I won't use it. Some toothpaste burns my mouth so bad that brushing my teeth is a painful experience. This one doesn't burn. It tastes simply the way toothpaste is supposed to taste.

Whitening is important. This one is supposed ot whiten. After spending money to whiten my teeth, I need a product to help ward off the bad effects of coffee and tea.

Avoiding all kinds of oral pathology is a major consideration. This toothpaste claims that it can help fight cavities, gingivitis, plaque, tartar, and bad breath.

I hope this product stays on the market a long time and does not change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, excellent price, June 9, 2007
Mehetabelle "mehetabelle" (Silicon Valley United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My dentist recommended using Total because at that time, he said it was the only toothpaste that had an effect on gingivitis. I've been using this product for years and am very happy with it. Amazon's good price for this lot of 6 tubes is really excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Canker sores galore!, January 16, 2012
I have been an avid Crest user for most of my life, for no particular reason except for the fact that Crest was what we had in the house. I went to the dentist about a month ago and they recommended Crest Total because it contains Triclosan which helps with gum health. I went right to the store and started using it, after 2 days I had 5 canker sores! My fiance also used it and the same thing happened to him, multiple canker sores within a couple days of use. I stopped using Colgate and switched back to Crest. The canker sores went away almost immediately with no other treatment.

I now know why that is what we always had in my house! I did some research and it turns out that one of the ingredients in Colgate Total is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which has been shown to cause canker sores. So if you are having trouble with canker sores look at the ingredient label of your standard toothpaste and if it contains SLS, switch for a few days and see what happens!

Learned my lesson and will never buy Colgate again!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Used to love it, but second ingredient--Triclosan--is "potentially" toxic, January 9, 2014
This was my wife and my favorite toothpaste for over 4 years until the latest research info on its #2 ingredient. Look at the back of the box or tube for the ingredients (Amazon has a picture): #2 is triclosan, the active ingredient in "Total" anti-gingivitis.

"Triclosan is a bacteria-killing chemical used in Colgate Total toothpastes... It has been shown to interfere with thyroid signaling and male and female sex hormone signaling."
www.ewg<dot>org/enviroblog/2014/01/chemicals-should-disappear-cosmetics

"Research has shown that triclosan:
- Alters hormone regulation in animals
- Might contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant germs
- Might be harmful to the immune system"
www.mayoclinic<dot>org/triclosan/expert-answers/FAQ-20057861

"Animal studies have shown that triclosan alters hormone regulation."
www.fda<dot>gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm205999.htm

"Studies have increasingly linked triclosan (and its chemical cousin triclocarban), to a range of adverse health and environmental effects from skin irritation, endocrine disruption, bacterial and compounded antibiotic resistance, to the contamination of water and its negative impact on fragile aquatic ecosystems."
www.beyondpesticides<dot>org/antibacterial/triclosan.php

*EDIT*
We switched to a non-"Total" version of Colgate (Crest is fine too, but wife still prefers Colgate) from PERSONAL choice of selecting a toothpaste that has no potential side effects from Triclosan, but clean teeth just as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Toothpaste, February 19, 2012
I like to whiten my teeth. This is the perfect toothpaste for whitening. It also cleans my teeth very nicely and makes my mouth feel clean, and fresh. Overall I really like this toothpaste. My morning brushing routine includes Flossing, Brushing, and Mouthwashing. This toothpaste fits in perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome multi-purpose product! Love this stuff., March 23, 2014
First and foremost, this product does exactly what it claims it does... whiten teeth. I am an avid coffee drinker, so I wanted to test the product on a "power-user" such as myself. I drink about 6 metric liters per day and combine it with Oreo cookies and cigar smoking. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw near-immediate improvement! I witnessed this first-hand the first time I used it on one of my teeth (as a controlled experiment). It went from a shade of browinish-yellow-tan to a lighter shade of brownish-yellow-tan seemingly overnight. [actual time: 4 weeks] All I did was apply about .5 ounces, five to eight times daily upon said tooth, scrubbed with a twisted-knot industrial stripping brush hooked up to my Dremmel, and BINGO. Instant results: tooth was mildly less brownish, provided you looked at it under UV light at the correct angle. Only downside... complete loss of feeling in my mandibular nerve*. No biggie.

The real secret to this product lies in it's alternative uses. For example, I also used it to whiten other things. One time, I had red and itchy eyes because I play COD4 in my parents' basement 13 hours a day, so I mixed a dab of the toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide and kerosene and used an eye-dropper to treat it. After about 16 hours of intense pain and crying, the red eye was gone, albeit replaced by blurred vision and hallucinations, but what remedy doesn't have side-effects, right? I also used it to whiten fabric. Just apply 1 ounce of toothpaste to 2 liters of liquid bleach, mix with fabric, and instant white! This stuff is incredible - now I see why they call it "Total". I tried branching out beyond the whitening uses by injecting it into my BluRay player to see if it would improve my HDMI signal, but let's just say that failed miserably and I immediately regretted that decision. That one's on me. But otherwise, this product is fantastic. Not only will it moderately lighten shades of horrific brown to a less-horrific brown, but when combined with other products, it is unstoppable. Case-in-point: mix with super glue, and BOOM! - instant minty super glue that has reduced adhesive properties. Check and mate. Your move Crest.

*Results not typical.

1.0 out of 5 stars Contains triclosan, August 11, 2014
I've been using this toothpaste for years. I wish had known how bad Total was for me. Google triosoclan and read for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars toothpaste, October 18, 2012
Just opened,new packaging for tootpaste..same size box, new design of tube. Now holding 25% less toothpaste. Big corps got us again!Colgate Total Whitening Toothpaste Twin Pack, 12-OuncePrevious each tube contained 8 ounce each, now cut down to 6 ounce