Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 3, 2005
I am a dentist who recommends Colgate Tartar-Control toothpaste to my patients. I like it for several reasons:

1. The anti-tartar chemical works. Used regularly, tartar formation on one's teeth will be inhibited. If tartar does form, it will be softer and easier for your dental hygienist to remove.

2. All Colgate toothpastes have the ADA seal of approval. This means the paste has flouride to strengthen your enamel and protect your teeth against cavities, and it is low in abrasivity so it will not scratch your enamel.

It is a good product and I recommend it for those who have a tendency to form dental tartar. Brush your teeth at least three times per day for maximum effectiveness and floss daily - the flossing is just as inportant as brushing to help prevent tartar from forming on your teeth!

The "Whitening" term is a common gimmick used by toothpaste manufacturers. "Whitening" can apply to any toothpaste on the market, as they all "whiten" the teeth. There is not a "whitening" toothpaste on the market that truly "Whitens" teeth in the context of bleaching teeth. If you want an over-the-counter product that whitens teeth effectively, purchase Crest White Strips - they actually whiten teeth. Still, buy this Colgate product for the other features (fluoride and anti-tartar), just don't be fooled by the "whitening" term!

Jim 'Konedog" Koenig, DDS
on November 15, 2011
I bought this toothpaste and was shocked when I got home and read the ingredient list. The active ingredient is triclosan. Triclosan is currently being investigated by the FDA. It is also under review by the EPA who is considereing banning it. It is already banned in Europe and Canada. In short, it's an endocrine system disruptor. It alters hormone regulation. It also contributes to making bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Not only is it bad for people, but you spit it down the sink and it gets into the water supply and harms the ecosystem. Google it. This is not stuff you want to put in your mouth.

Most toothpastes don't have triclosan, but this one does.
88 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
I always use Colgate Total, it just suits me and my teeth pretty well. My husband does not like gel based toothpastes so this suits him too. I'm just happy I can order it online now! So much more convenient.
on December 19, 2012
You cannot beat this value for money. Does what it says - whiter teeth without having to pay much more than average toothpaste. Have paid much more money for whitening 'professional' toothpastes that are not even as good as this one. Highly recommend - and usually on promotion in amazon, so even better!
on April 23, 2012
Should you buy this: Depends. Do you like Colgate or Crest? I thought I liked Crest, but I was wrong.

Pros: Have not gotten cavities

Cons: Can't get all the toothpaste in the bottom of the tube out

Crest vs. Colgate is one of those "Coke vs. Pepsi" things. You like one or the other, and you have very strong opinions as to why the other product sucks. Or you could be in the 8th grade, live next door to a grocery store, walk over there every day, buy a 12-pack of Coke and an 8-pack of Entemann's Rich Frosted Donuts, finish that every two days, rinse (with mouthwash, of course) and repeat. I also brushed every night with my Crest Anti-Cavity toothpaste, because look at all the crap I was eating! And yet, I got 6 cavities. Crest... you lied to me. And now I'm with Colgate. That's what you get for not protecting my teeth from an entire summer's worth of sugary donuts and super acid soda. Never again.
This paste has really brightened my smile, I drink 3 big coffees a day and the haze from that been lifted. So cheap for these great results, I thought I'd need Rembrandt.
on January 23, 2014
Good toothpaste it does what it says and brightens and freshens in all. I would prefer it if it was in a gel form instead of paste. The paste is thick and clogs the tube at the opening. While brushing teeth be careful to rinse mouth out really well or you will find yourself with dry paste marks in the corners of your mouth. Ugh!
on March 18, 2013
Please educate yourselves on the chemical "Triclosan" found in this product and many others. Triclosan is a known endocrine disruptor and is considered toxic. This chemical is currently being considered for ban in the U.S. and is banned in several other countries. It may work, but you have no idea what it is doing to your body and it is harmful to the environment. Some healthier alternatives would be Australian tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract, and pine oil. For more information on triclosan, refer to the EPA website.
on August 18, 2013
Colgate leaves my breath feeling refreshed the longest, and leaves my teeth feeling the cleanest after a good, long brushing. I've tried them all, and Colgate just seems to work the longest and best.
on August 7, 2012
Protection from plaque, cavities, gingivitis, tartar, and bad breath all rolled into one which eliminates the need for mouthwash. Use floss and this for "Total" dental protection!