5.0 out of 5 stars Happily impressed
Published on June 19, 2011 by Meghan M Jenkins

3.0 out of 5 stars sedative ingredient?
Published on January 5, 2012 by Kim

5.0 out of 5 stars Happily impressed, June 19, 2011
This review is from: Colic-Calm Homeopathic Gripe Water,Relief of Gas, Colic and Reflux 2 Fluid Ounce (Health and Beauty)
When i started to realize that the constant crying and sleepless nights with my newborn and first born was not normal i talked to our pediatrician who started treating him for acid reflux (GER). After fighting with our insurance to cover the prescription for Previcid in the first place, the struggle then became trying to get the medicine down. I already had a baby who was not eating/gaining weight and there i was giving him syringe after syringe of water trying to get the "not so soluble" tablet in his system. the whole experience was leaving me uber stressed and feeling like an exhausted failure. I came across the website for colic calm while looking for homeopathic treatments touting to provide acid reflux relief as well as colic. honestly i am not big on the idea of giving my kid something that our pediatrician had not even heard of but with the FDA stamp on it i felt somewhat better about trying it. At first i wouldnt say i was all that convinced but by the end of the week he was sleeping and eating like never before. suddenly the crying seemed managable like i had expected going into parenthood and the fact he was really eating for the first time made me feel a lot better about myself too. my husband was not so sold on giving the credit to the colic calm until we ran out and the delivery from amazon was delayed. 24 hours after his last dose and we were back to being up all night with a screaming baby.

couple things to note from what i read in other reviews. first i was prepared for the staining everyone complained about but really havent had a big problem with it. yes is is messy, and if you drip it directly on something and just leave it- yes when you wash the item you will get a faint gray stain but even that is hardly noticable. most of the time even his white onsies dont show a stain. i have yet to see it stain skin. usually i will feed him after ward to wash it out of his mouth. otherwise the charcaol shows up in his drool for a bit.

poop is a hideous color with distinctive specks of charcoal but dont let it alarm you, 24 hours off it and poop goes right back to normal.

use the syringe that comes in the box. give a little bit at a time (takes me about 5 squirts to give him the 1/4 tsp dose) and choking is not an issue. i also point it toward his cheek so that it doesnt just go down his throat gagging him. When i tried an eye dropper type dispenser he gagged it all back out. Now he really doesnt mind getting his dose and even smiles through it.

at this point i am no longer giving him the prevacid and using only about 2 doses a day- sometimes more if he gets the hiccups (which go away instantly when you give the colic calm) or he is fussy. one bottle last about 3 weeks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped with gas pain!, November 23, 2013
This stuff is black and can be quite off-putting for people that don't realize how this stuff is different. I purchased this after realizing my poor baby had terrible gas and would writhe in pain to try and release it. I noticed that this gripe water, unlike all the others, had charcoal as a main ingredient. A few years back, I purchased some homeopathic charcoal pills for myself to combat the terrible gas pains I would get while flying (who knew? Flying gas is a thing). Anyway, they totally worked for myself. I figured it would be a good idea to try it on the bubs.

This stuff did help. It dealt with his gas, for sure. Unfortunately for us, he had colic, as well. All I can tell you is that his gas pain was lessened. He, however, continued his colic crying up until 3 months. This is NOT a cure-all. Honestly, though, I'd ditch the simethicone drops (which I found out only made gas bubbles combine into larger bubbles which, HOPEFULLY, would be easier to pass orally- not even helping the gas that formed in the digestive tract). If you know your baby has a gas problem, use this stuff! Also, my son seemed to really enjoy the taste. He would be quiet for the few seconds it took to feed it to him, lol.

This stuff can stain, though, and look absolutely shocking on a burp rag- so just beware. The price can be steep, too. It's definitely worth a try, though, if you're reading this at 3 am, surfing with a few free fingers while you juggle your screaming baby in your arms. Take a deep breath- it doesn't last forever- you WILL sleep again- get whatever help you can- and SOLDIER ON, parent! Much love and empathy to you. Being a parent is the hardest job you can ever have.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! And believe me we've tried it all!!!, November 1, 2014
DJB (greensboro nc) - See all my reviews
Great product! We have 3 month old twin girls. Ever since about 1 1/2 months they have had terrible gas/reflux issues. They would just scream non-stop from the pain. As you can imagine we tried everything under the sun gas drops, colic tablets, gripe water, prescription Zantac, warm baths, literally EVERYTHING!!! I was at my wits end one night browsing the Internet and found this stuff. It works!!! Nothing is a miracle drug - babies are babies and they will cry, but this stuff has helped them 1. Have regular bowel movements 2. Not scream in pain 3. Helps with reflux too. I would recommend to anyone that has a colicky baby or any type of GI problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS LIKE MAGIC! A TRUE LIFE SAFER!, August 12, 2012
I have always been a big proponent of natural medicine before chemical meds. I remember briefly reading about Colic Calm online and upon seeing it in CVS, I purchased it promptly, after reading the ingredients of course. It works incredibly great for my daughter and here are just a few super positives about this product:

1) First and foremost--it cures my daughter's reflux and gassiness/fussiness in less than 20 minutes flat each time it is used! My 1 month old daugher developed a bad case of fussiness/crying episodes as well as reflux, which prevented her from breastfeeding succesfully every night. Once Colic Calm was administered, she stops crying right away and is completely better within 20 minutes. You can set a watch on how accuratly and quickly it works! On couple of more severe case occasions, two doses needed to be administered within 30 minutes, as stated in instructions in order for maximum effectiveness, but worked momentarily after the 2nd dose for the remainder of the night and next day. It does help her reflux and she can feed great right after dosage administration. Even more importantly, it LASTS FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS AFTER THE DOSAGE--MEANING NO FUSSINESS/BETTER REFLUX SYMPTOMS/NO GASSINESS FOR 1 TO 2 DAYS AFTER EACH DOSAGE ADMINISTRATION! Also, it makes my daughter's bowel movements more regular--she has been slightly constipated, but after taking Colic Calm, she is good to go, which makes her tummy feel better and eases her discomfort and fusiness in itself!

2) Ingredients are great.

Being of European descent, I am extremely familiar with activated charcoal as a remedy for stomach upset and flatulance, thus I was not surprised that it was in this remedy and, in fact, that was an encouraging fact as I found it to be very helpful as a child growing up in Europe. It works just as great in Colic Calm, in my experience. Yes, it may stain, but would you choose your child feeling better over a stain? I know I would. Furthermore, just putting a bib on a child right before dosage administration helps to prevent staining on clothing. Simple! As for the black color--hey, natural substances have natural coloring--no artificial coloring here, just the way I like it!

Camomile--there are no known indications that this plant is highly allergenic. My whole extended family suffers from severe food allergies, and I have never encountered a camomile allergy, not to say that it doesn't exist, but it is very rare. What is known of chamomile, however, is its effectiveness as a calming herb, and it does just that in Colic Calm--calms the fussiness rather effectively.

Aloe--the wonder plant that helps a variety of stomach remedies as well as making the bowels more regular--very effective ingredient once again.

Melissa--true, it makes the baby more prone to sleepiness, but even more importantly, it makes the baby relaxed and able to fall asleep after an especially fussy episode...why this is bad is beyond me...any parent wishes for their child to sleep well. Also, this is not a drug, it is a homeopathic remedy, which is not the same as being drugged by a mainstream night aid--homeopathic remedies use the like cures like principle and only use a tiny miniscule particle of each remedy in the solution, unlike the chemically produced sleep aids...not even comparable. There are no side effects here either and does not make the baby drowsy, just relaxes the poor little thing so that she can sleep more soundly and not be bothered by reflux/gas/overstimulation etc. An A+ remedy in my book. Parents get more sleep too!

Tastes good, slightly sweet, just enough to entire the baby. My daughter loves the taste. The consistency is thick, which is great as it is not easy to spit up and goes down easier, instead of just sitting in the baby's mouth for a while.

Feces are discolored by it, but not that bad. Don't expect to see an all black stool, unless you give this each day, every day for multiple doses. Otherwise, it is just some specks of black in the stool, not that big of a deal. Since baby becomes more regular on this remedy, you will see more poop, though. One negative is that stool does smell more after multiple dosing given, but, once again, a very mild negative compared to all of the positives!

Now that my daughter is 10 weeks, after many weeks of giving her Colic Calm (since week 2, pretty much), I believe that Colic Calm contributed in a large part to her not having colic anymore and being able to be more regular, less gassy and fussy. Her reflux is also a lot better.

Overall, I highly recommend this magical potion. It works like a charm with no real side effects and makes for a happy baby and even happier parents :)

3.0 out of 5 stars sedative ingredient?, January 5, 2012
I used this product for a few days on the recommendation of a friend that swore by it with her children. I also searched the product reviews on Amazon before I purchased it and tried to find all ingredients but couldnt until I got the box. I failed to check each one then because I wanted to relieve the symptoms right away. I have a five week old son that has a touch of colic and it did help with colic symptoms but I did notice that he vomited alot more with this product, slept all day and then all through the night. That's when I became concerned and I decided to check each ingredient and found that "Melissa Officinalis" is sometimes used as a mild sedative. It does state on the box that "sleep may follow naturally after relief". It is a natural ingredient but who wants to give their child a sedative? I suppose if the colic is extreme and you need your child to sleep so that you can sleep also, then this may be the product for you. Otherwise, I would rather have my child awake, alert and just deal with his symptoms as opposed to having him under a sedative. I wrote this review for other parents to be cautious of this. Good luck to all who have to deal with the colic issue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, June 5, 2014
We have used Colic Calm with our 12 week old since her first or second week. It has helped tremendously with her upset stomach and gas. The syringe is great for medicine delivery. If you get it on clothes or other materials, I recommend taking them immediately to treat for stains, as it may not come out of some fabrics very easily.

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing box, December 27, 2013
Although this box indicates it is for Reflux, the one that we received said upset stomach. Not sure where the confusion is, but I expected for this product in the picture to arrive and not the one we got. If we would have wanted the one for upset stomach we could have instantly bought it in the store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best, February 22, 2014
I don't write reviews ever! but since this is for babies ..... This stuff is legit , it works almost instantly , give it to them then burp them right after and gas is gone, they either burp or fart and crying is over . it works better than EVERYTHING else out here and they love the taste also ( I tried it it tastes like sugar water :P ) its expensive but worth every penny .

5.0 out of 5 stars Colic Calm, April 7, 2010
This product has really seemed to help my 5 week old daughter. She was born fussy but became even more so at about 2 weeks old. I wouldn't say she truly has colic but she never seems satisfied and she does gets extremely fussy in the evenings. She has severe gas and gets the hiccups almost every bottle...those send her over the edge. It does offer immeidate relief of her hiccups.
Sometimes Colic Calm seems to help and sometimes it doesn't. I think when she is truly uncomfortable; it does help. Times that it doesn't help, I think it just may be her personality to be fussy.
One day I ate some leftovers from a resturant and got the worst stomachache so I decided to try some and I had almost immediate relief. I was sold after that. It has a great taste but the color is pretty freaky.

I think this is a good product and I just ordered my second bottle. This is the only FDA approved gripe water, which made me feel more comfortable giving it to her. When I read the ingredients on some of the other gripe waters, I noticed some that aren't exactly safe for babies.

Some of its drawbacks are that it is a terrible color and turns their poop funny colors an stains clothes but being able to relieve some of my baby's discomfort is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Blessing, February 11, 2014
I wish I could give it more than 5 stars. Works as advertised. It takes care of hiccups in literally 2 seconds. Our baby doesn't go to sleep right away as they say on the product label but he stops crying quickly. Overall, very satisfied. Would recommend for every household with little ones!!