Colin & Brad: Two Man Group
Format: DVDChange
Price:$8.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 12, 2011
I have seen Colin and Brad perform live on their tours and they are hysterical! I am a huge fan of Whose Line Is it Anyway - so when I saw that Colin and Brad were touring I just had to get tickets!
They do a really great two man show - and get the audience involved as much as possible.
I have seen them at the Just for Laughs in Toronto - as well as road tripped 6 hours through New York state to Schenectady NY to see them as well. They were worth it - and i hung around long enough after the show to catch them as they were leaving to say hello and to sign my Whose Line DVD's. They were super friendly and made the trip well worth while!!
I am very excited for this DVD to add to my collection. Way to go Colin and Brad! I was hoping you would put out a DVD and you did. :)
I will recommend this to anyone who is a Whose Line fan, and give it 5 stars because you never fail to crack me up and put me in a good mood.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For many years (a long, long time ago), I was obsessed with the delightful British improv show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" I forced almost anyone who came into my home to partake in the madcap hilarity. While I certainly appreciated Drew Carey's Americanized edition, Carey was easily the weakest link and made the obvious point that improv isn't easy. But with such talented regular performers, it was permissible to forgive Carey for his less experienced and less successful experimentation. Now, in the aftermath of that show--two of its most appealing actors take their brand of rogue improvisation to the masses. In a filmed theater piece, "Colin & Brad: Two Man Group" brings Brad Sherwood and Colin Mochrie into the limelight for a hysterical evening of familiar concepts and new inspirations. The intimate stage show involves plenty of audience participation and, in a word, is simply funny!

You've got some stunts you've seen before such as people manipulating their body movements and providing sound effects. Both of these come of quite well and set the stage for some new moves. I particularly loved a sideways theater bit where the two lie on the ground and are filmed from above. So simple, but genius. And the grand finale provides the World's Most Dangerous Improv involving blindfolds and hundreds of mouse traps. So silly, but genius. As with much improv, some of the skits are limited by the audience participation and this can result in hilarious ineptitude (such as the movement opener) or derail a great bit (I talking about you--mall cop!). Occasionally a bit will go on a beat too long--but this is near perfection and will surely delight everyone. If you were a fan of "Line" than I can't recommend this highly enough!

The performance itself lasts little over an hour--and unfortunately the DVD extras are sparse. I wanted more. The DOs and DON'Ts of Improv is a terrific five minute bit with Sherwood and Mochrie having at one another, and Interviews with Colin & Brad is a five minute spoof of a James Lipton type interview. Brief and lively, I just wanted more, more, more. These segments were seemingly filmed as an afterthought after a night's performance--and they are slight and amusing. But let's face it--I think both Brad and Colin are hysterical and their show is a winner. If you like this type of comedy, you won't want to miss this! KGHarris, 3/11.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 15, 2011
When WHO'S LINE IS IT ANYWAY? premiered on television I thought it was one of the best shows around. I've always loved improve comedy. It started when I saw SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE the first time only to learn that most of the cast began at Second City in Chicago. In college I got my first taste of Second City and fell in love with it, making it a point to visit each time I go there now.

But WHOSE LINE brought weekly improv to the small screen and made me laugh. Not once in a while but every single episode I watched. And while they had a number of talented individuals on the show, my favorite was Colin Mochrie. Mochrie was teased about his baldness and being Canadian each week but he dished back with a terrific sense of humor and comedic timing. So imagine my delight to hear that he was touring with Brad Sherwood across the county. While I didn't get to their show, I can now enjoy watching them whenever I want with the release of COLIN MOCHRIE & BRAD SHERWOOD: TWO MAN GROUP.

This is a taped concert film basically of the dynamic duo of quick wits displaying their comic talents. The pieces they do are not scripted and haven't been set up in advance. They're doing improv where they come out, take a few suggestions such as an event and then apply the event to different improv games that have been used for years.

They begin with a game that features the two of them unable to move without the assistance of a couple they bring up from the audience. Each movement they make is done by these two ordinary people moving their various body parts which often leads to both embarrassing and funny pieces.

They do a sequence called sideways sketch where they take a suggestion from the audience of a situation (in this case a man upset with his neighbor because his dog poops in his yard) and make comedy of it. The thing is that they're actually lying on the floor with a prop stage featuring a camera overhead making it look like by rolling across the floor they're moving across the set.

There are a number of other items they perform here, ending with what Sherwood describes as the most dangerous piece to perform. The stage is set with 225 every day mousetraps placed several inches apart. Brad and Colin then remove their shoes and socks and place blindfolds on. When Colin suggests that this isn't really dangerous, another 25 mousetraps hanging by threads are lowered, some about chest level, others nearer definitely sensitive areas. They then do an alphabet game where they perform a suggested event (a man upset that his next door neighbor takes his mail) in operatic format, each using the next letter of the alphabet to start their line. The ensuing snapping of the traps and gags is the result.

This show was quite enjoyable and funny, making me laugh so hard a few times that I had to back up or pause the disc. Then again I've always found these two men to be two of the funniest guys on the planet, even more so when doing improv.

The DVD release also features two special items that include interviews with the stars in set pieces. These are funny to an extent, but the true laughs are when they're on stage together.

I did find one thing that truly upset me with this DVD release though. That's the fact that it only lasted 67 minutes. Once it finishes you find yourself wanting more. If you weren't a fan of WHOSE LINE you might find this mildly amusing. If you were a fan you will want this in your collection. There are a few items that might not be child friendly, but for the most part if you have children you should be safe. Even they'll get a laugh out of this one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For those who have seen the ABC show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", both Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood have been entertaining people with their improv-based entertainment but also getting audience members to participate and to show how random these improv skits are.

Their live stage show is so popular that they perform at sold-out shows throughout the country. This is a comedy DVD where nothing is rehearsed, everything is spontaneous and you will no doubt laugh at what you see happen on stage.

In "Colin & Brad: Two Man Group - Live and Dangerous Comedy", here is what to expect on this DVD:

* Welcome - Both men explain improv and how anyone can do it and how their skits happen on the fly.
* Moving Bodies - watch as both men pick two people from the audience who must control their bodies and improvise the storyline.
* Sound FX - Both men gets suggestions by the audience to do an improv on them riding the rapids but the audience will be provided with a mic to make the sound effects and with these sound effects, both men will improvise from what those sounds.
* Sideways - In this skit, the camera is above and both men are laying down on the floor (which makes them appear as they are in a correct walking stance) and improvising a skit.
* One Word Expert - Both men take turns saying a word and do a skit as the Love Doctors while audiences ask love questions to them.
* Jeopardy - In this skit, both men do the voices for two audience members while their mouths are opening.
* Interpreter - In this skit, Colin Mochrie must do body movements based on an audience member's occupation.
* Torture - In this segment known as "The Torture Game", an audience member reads off a list of things that Colin and Brad must improvise and take part in "Questions Only", where the two must speak in questions only. For "letter substitution", "s" must be pronounced as "k", "If you know what I mean" is when the two men must use that word constantly in a sentence.
* Mousetraps - In this skit, both men are blindfolded and must walk around a stage barefooted with mousetraps all over the floor and all around them strung near their head and body while they walk and improvise.
* End Credits - End Credits

VIDEO, AUDIO & SUBTITLES:

"Colin & Brad: Two Man Group - Live and Dangerous Comedy" is presented in 16×9 Widescreen (1:78:1) and in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. Picture quality is good on DVD, because there are many skits throughout the show, there are various camera angles provided, especially since their are so many audience members that are selected to be part of the show, for the most part, there are no dizzying edits and easy to watch. Lighting is also well done and for the most part, the presentation is pretty solid on DVD.

There are no subtitles on this DVD.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

"Colin & Brad: Two Man Group - Live and Dangerous Comedy" comes with the following special features:

* Do's and Dont's of Improv - (6:50) Both Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood explain how they are able to improv and the do's and dont's of improv.
* Interview with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood - (5:40) Brad Sherwood interviews Colin Mochrie.

JUDGMENT CALL:

I am familiar with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood's comedy performance on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" and the fact that both men were able to take this show and create a live stage show is pretty fun and exciting but the fact that they are able to connect with the audience and even get audience members to participate throughout the whole show makes it so enjoyable and hilarious.

I review a lot of comedy DVD's and while this is not a DVD about stand-up comedy, it is a DVD featuring a bunch of improvisational skits that end up becoming comedy and literally, I was constantly laughing throughout the performance. I felt as if my gut was going to burst because the skits were just off-the-top hilarious.

It's hard for me to describe this DVD because unlike other comedy-DVD's where I can describe the comedian and their style of delivery or even the stage set-up, for "Colin & Brad: Two Man Group", the two men are awesome on stage but what makes their performance work successfully is their ability to interact with the audience and fully use audience participation. You don't see that happening all that much, unless it's a magic show.

As for content, there is no profanity but often, you will hear Brad bring up "crotchless panties" but that is probably the extent of anything that may be too over-the-top for those who may wonder if they can watch this comedy DVD with children. I will say that in the audience, you will see many parents with their older children at the show.

The DVD is straightforward and you get two special features with the guys messing around and having fun. In fact, there are not too many comedy DVD's where I enjoy everything from beginning to end. Most, you will either like part of it, half of it but for this DVD, the whole performance was hilarious and I can easily say that you will get your money's worth.

So, overall, If you are looking for a comedy DVD that is easy to get into and one that you can just laugh out loud and have fun watching it, I highly recommend "Colin & Brad: Two Man Group - Live and Dangerous Comedy". Definitely recommended!
on January 15, 2011
Good grief they are hysterical. We saw them last week and laughed so hard and long that our faces and sides hurt. They take the most random scenarios and suggestions from the audience and create a fabulously excellent entertainment experience. We would go to see them anytime and even travel should they come to our area again. We can't wait to see the DVD, If you have the opportunity to see them in person, I would highly recommend it. You will have a blast.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been blessed to see these two, genius comedians in action in several live performances. I have happily taken my young children (under the age of 10) to see them as well. This is inspired comedy at its finest. This is a DVD that we all will watch. Some comedians get on stage and you see a very different side of their performance; not so with Brad and Colin. They are skilled artisans and I go to see them in person every chance I get. We are also very excited that they are part of the group that will be involved with Drew Carey's new improv TV show that will be airing in April on the Game Show Network.

Buy this DVD and thank me later!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

If you like this type of comedy, you won't want to miss this! KGHarris, 3/11.
on January 28, 2011
Just got back from seeing Colin and Brad's live show for the 6th year in a row now. I laugh so much every time that my face hurts and I sustain a laughing-headache! We were actually in the audience when this DVD was filmed last year, so I'm anxious to see how it's edited and maybe even catch a glimpse of my family in the audience. I'm sure the DVD won't disappoint!
on February 9, 2011
I have been a Whose Line is it Anyway fan for many years. My daughter and I saw the Colin and Brad show two weeks ago in Milwaukee at the Pabst Theater. I have never laughed harder and for so long! These guys are hilarious. No one could top them. No one! I only wish I could've gotten on stage with them. :-)
on August 3, 2014
I found myself laughing in all the various skits performed. I bought the DVD thinking that it would allow Brad to let his brand of toilet humor come through since watching the Whose Line Is It Anyway gag reel where Brad was constantly stopped by the censors on that show for letting loose. He does let loose on some occasions like in the choice of character name. Maybe I just don't know his work that much to know that this is the extent of his toilet humor? The material is very clean, no cursing, and no real toilet humor. My most favorite skit is them lying on the floor with Brad dealing with the forces of gravity! Whomever came up with that idea was a genius to have them lying on the floor of a simple set piece with the camera above. My other favorite is the mousetrap skit. I had videotaped a local juggler at a Renaissance Faire who included another juggler as they juggled through a small stage of mousetraps barefoot. I thought this skit with Colin and Brad was going to be something similar, since we laughed so much at the juggler's seemingly original idea. The juggler seems to have lifted the idea from this very stage act, but only stopped with mousetraps on the floor and being barefoot, and altered it to include juggling while walking around. The juggler, for safety reasons, could not do what Colin and Brad could do, walking blindfolded, due to stage sets being so small. Also, the juggler could not have the budget or the means to do what Colin and Brad had done, which is have mousetraps hanging on string above the stage. It is perhaps why the juggler and his friend insisted that the loser instead would roll over the remaining mousetraps that weren't set off. That was the grand finale for Colin and Brad on the DVD as it was the finale for the jugglers for that day. The show is 67 minutes long, and isn't filmed all in one go. It has scenes where the camera fades and then comes back later on. Some interactions with the audience members on stage would have unbroken dialogue, but camera cuts show where it looks to me like they had to splice in a take that was different than the original had it been filmed live and unedited. With that in mind, I really wished that they had more skits to perform given the fact that the stage show was not all shot in one take. Now, the DVD promises, "The DOs and DON'TS of Improv," as well as, "Interviews with Colin and Brad." This is entirely satire (I haven't read the other reviews, so sorry if I'm repeating), as the two "Special Features" don't really feature any real insightful information on the world of improv or even Colin and Brad's actual personal lives. The only thing I really learned was Colin was on "The Tuxedo" movie with Jackie Chan. I was hoping to listen to Brad and Colin share the magic of improv, as well as how down to earth these guys were, but it was set in a humor I'm not too thrilled about where they act like they are so annoyed with each other when we know they are the best of friends. The two special features detracts from the chemistry they have on stage. Plus, the real bummer is that I have followed Colin since he had hair on the original Whose Line and know a bit about his work. Brad, however, I know practically nothing about other than he can successfully imitate the song, "Love Shack," by the B-52s, and the interview with him on the DVD is literally non existent.