Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Platform: PCChange

on June 6, 2000
Holy cow! I'm a HUGE pc racing fan and a real-life rally fan, so this was an obvious choice. I race amateur rallies myself, and this game is simply the most realistic I've ever played. The reviewers keep complaining about the graphics detail, but the graphics are fine. They just didn't throw in all the useless graphics bits that tend to require 600 MHZ processors in today's games. The game runs perfectly smooth on my VOODOO2 and PII-300.
There are three difficulty levels. Novice is very easy and with experience, you'll find yourself winning every rally. Intermediate requires experience to make it through some of the tougher stages in one piece, but it's still fair enough to allow you to finish in the top 3 spots in each rally. If you make it to Expert level by winning the Intermediate Championship (will take a few tries), you are in for a total SHOCK! There is a giant difference in difficulty between intermediate and expert. I win every single stage of every rally in intermediate mode, but I can barely finish in the top 8 of most stages in expert mode. It is a real challenge and very realistic.
This is a superb racing simulation. It tends to lean towards simulation more than arcade, so if you are more into driving a $300,000 Ferrari at 200mph, then stick to the NFS series. If you want to see how REAL men race in other parts of the world and you want to see what damage a car actually sustains in crashes at 100mph, this is the game for you!
on June 27, 2000
I have played a number of Rally racing games and this is by far the best. Sega Rally 2 has great graphics but gets boring quite quickly. Mobil1 Rally also has great graphics and you can manage the car the best. But the driveability of Colin McRae makes it the hands down winner! Can't wait for Colin McRae 2 to come out!
on January 27, 2001
Perhaps it's just a matter that my standard was set by Mobil1 Rally Championship (the best rally sim I've played) but Colin McRae Rally sure lacks all the excitement, reality and sfx and options that Mobil1 does provide.
CMR graphics are absolutely awful, and although the physics are not that far away from life-like experience they don't actually reach the level of realism a game of this nature should have.
I bought the game expecting a similar alternative to what I had found on Rally Championship but to be honest, after playing this game for only 20 minutes, I uninstalled it from my hard drive and I'm actually giving this game away to a friend's kid.
After some time playing this game my conclusion is ... money gone down the drain.
on October 28, 2000
extraordinary game! my only problem with this game is that it relates to 98 season. when is a new version going to come out? from all other aspects, the game manages to provide all the excitement of the world rally championship, which is particularly relevant to an european living in the US. colin mcrae is the best second best to tv coverage of rallies with the advantage that you'll be the one racing. like i said, it is only a pitty that it still reports to the 98 season.