5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!
Very few poets have captured the grandeur and beauty of the spirt of adventure like Robert Service.
In a day and age where refreshing verse and lyrics are hard to come by, a simple look into these pages reveals one of the most monumental works in modern poetry. Nothing quite excites the heart and stirs the soul like the works from Robert Service.
You will find...
Published on January 5, 2001 by Michael

2.0 out of 5 stars Collected poems of Robert Service
I'm half way thru reading....best poems were the two that were well publicized: "The Shooting of Dan Mc Grew" and "The Cremation of Sam Mc Gee" however the poet definitely is very talented in a down-to-earth....real-to-life way.
Published on September 29, 2010 by G. M. Schlitz

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry I like., April 2, 2008
This review is from: Collected Poems of Robert Service (Hardcover)
I am not much for poetry in general (having been forced to determine feet and meter and memorize types of sonnets, etc...), but Service's poetry is simple, amazingly clear, and beautiful. His descriptions of the Northern Lights and the wonders of the North are worth the price of the book just in of themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobo Philosopher, September 6, 2007
This review is from: Collected Poems of Robert Service (Hardcover)
I hunted far and wide to find this particular volume of poetry by Robert Service. Robert Service is without any doubt my favorite poet. His poems are classics. But many years past when I was just a youth, I stumbled onto a volume of Robert Service where he wrote short prose introductions to his poems. Hoping one day to become a poet myself, I thought these prose introductions provided the greatest insight to how a poet creates. I looked and looked and looked but could never find that volume. Then one day in a second hand book shop some where I found it. It was this volume. I paid a good price for it. I've recorded all these poems with the prose intros on my karaoke and I play them for myself sometimes at bed time. My wife has her "ears" on her burrow (she's hard of hearing) so she is not disturbed. In my opinion Robert is the epitome of fine poetry. He has it all humor, pathos, romance, intellectual content, melody, beauty, intensity, warmth, toughness, manliness - you name it; he's got it. Buy this volume you will not regret it.

Richard Edward Noble - The Hobo Philosopher - Author of:

"A Little Something: Poetry and Prose"

5.0 out of 5 stars We love it!, February 5, 2008
This review is from: Collected Poems of Robert Service (Hardcover)
Exactly what I was looking for for my husband. I think it has everything Robert Service ever wrote and is fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading for anyone who loves the outdoors., March 9, 1999
By A Customer
I purchased a 1963 edition while I was in Alaska and managed to visit some places mentioned in it. It gave me a different perspective on Alaska, pioneers, and gold rush miners. I visited Cripple Creek outside Fairbanks, supposedly Robert Service wrote some of his poetry on the bar. It has tried to resurrect some of the old time atmosphere. The book says things about Alaska that people wish they could. It does the land justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection!, June 2, 2014
This review is from: Collected Poems of Robert Service (Hardcover)
It is a pleasure to have so many of these poems in one edition. I enjoy the leisure of leafing through the various choices, and the wisdom and sentiments expressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Service, December 26, 2011
Collected Poems of Robert Service

This book was in hard cover, which I did not expect, for the price, and delivered very speedily, in excellent condition. I had ordered it for a friend and he was very pleased. Amazon is always a good place to order from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic poems of the far North, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Collected Poems of Robert Service (Hardcover)
Everything I expected, this complete collection of Robert Service's poems captures the spirit of the rugged lives of those who struggle against the harshness of the cold and frozen Yukon and other points north. After a recent trip to Alaska where every Bed and Breakfast had a copy, I couldn't wait to get back and order my own. My childhood memory of the "Cremation of Sam McGee" only added to my delight of the book. The only drawback you know before you order, it is all one author. Therefore, the style is much the same from poem to poem. However, to me, that just made the rhythm of his words more of a song in my head and I found that delightful. I think you will too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poems Review of Robert Service, August 8, 2006
This review is from: Collected Poems of Robert Service (Hardcover)
Interesting reading. Very thought provoking and enlighting. Just a joy to read and so meaningful to every day life.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love it!, February 5, 2008
A Kid's Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Tradition, July 30, 2010
This review is from: Collected Poems of Robert Service (Hardcover)
I first remember hearing a Robert Service poem as it was read by my father. Though my mother did not really approve as he started out, by the end of the Cremation of Sam McGee we were all laughing. That memory is as much about hearing my father, a Mainer who could spin a good yarn, bring the poem to life with his rich baritone voice as it was an introduction to a wonderful writer.
It is a tribute to Mr. Services story weaving ability that his poems were not only appreciated by my father, but that all three sons have a nicely worn copy on their bookshelves.
To anyone who likes the outdoors or even just wants to read about it, this book should be close by your favorite chair. Read a few of his poems aloud to your family one night and you may be surprised being asked to do it again sometime.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Collected Poems of Robert Service
Collected Poems of Robert Service by Robert William Service (Hardcover - January 11, 1989)
$25.95 $19.80