Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on January 23, 2002
Despite being a space anorak, I was disappointed. At around 35mins per DVD, it's clear they'd all fit on just one - it'd be a good deal at 1/5th the price. The packaging is basic; no further content or data on the cases. And cheap-looking DVDs...
Content is fun, but only fascinating in part. About what you'd expect from a decent TV documentary. The IMAX format is lost even on my widescreen setup, and the resulting wide-angle distortion is sometimes a distraction.
Tech note: I also noticed poor colour resolution - distinct colour graduations which I've not seen on other DVDs. Perhaps a coincidence, but I doubt it.
Very disappointing. Sorry to be curmundgeonly.
on October 13, 2001
These DVD's contain some of the finest video of space and of our planet Earth. Taken over many missions and years by the astronauts in high-definition IMAX film, there are some truly georgeous and inspirational shots here.
It's a fantastic collection, and really should be in every video library! I love each tape but am particularly fond of "Destiny in Space". Also includes footage from the Russian MIR space station.
on March 31, 2003
That's because IMAX theaters are that same 4:3 format. To get widescreen you'd have to either lose picture on the top and bottom, or stretch the screen out over two blocks.
on June 25, 2002
I love the IMAX films but was disappointed that these DVD's were in standard 4:3, not widescreen 16:9 or 2.35:1.
Also, the audio narration is often drowned-out by the background music and is hard to hear.
Otherwise, the shots and scenes are outstanding.
on April 16, 2009
I thought the set was well worth it. The launch scene in the beginning of "The Dream is Alive" is simply incredible. I highly recommend viewing on a wide screen with at least Dolby 5.1. Turn it up and it's like being at the Cape. Most people who view the launch on my TV had no idea how powerful the shuttle is and sounds. That's because on regular TV, the engines sound like a vacuum cleaner. The space views of earth on all of the DVDs is priceless. Great value.
on April 3, 2002
If you want to get a lot of brilliant space and launch shots, you won't find them here. The best parts of these movies could fit on one disc. "Dream" and "Destiny" are the better ones.
It's kind of creepy watching all of this taking place onboard Challenger.
on August 14, 2008
The first few discs were overall boring in nature, however once the discs get to space and talk aout all the things going on in the space station etc., it was truely interesting. In HD this series had absolutely stunning photography
on June 9, 2009
I have a projector as a TV. So my picture is 128 inches. It is nice to see thiese videos on it. Not quite like the IMAX but nice.
on August 18, 2015
Awesome movies from my childhood. We need these in HD
on January 23, 2009
The sound quality is awful. The background music and sounds are fine, but the narration is way too quiet and can barely be heard over the rest of the sound. Disappointing quality.