Customer Discussions > Dead Space 2 forum

Collector's Edition Worth It?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2010 6:46:20 PM PDT
I placed an order for a standard edition on the ps3 and I just saw the collectors edition is available. Art and soundtrack do not interest me but the plasma cutter looks sweet. I would get this just for that but I was wondering what kind of material it is made from. Does anyone know? I just dont want it to fall apart if I drop it or something. Also I saw some confusion over whether or not you would get extraction if you had the standard edition. Do you get extraction with the standard edition or did I misread something?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 12:17:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 22, 2010 12:38:17 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 6:52:45 AM PDT
Curt Mason says:
Not sure of the material its made of. I do know the standard edition does come with extraction.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 5:06:59 PM PDT
I believe Extraction comes with a pre-ordered version of the regular edition called "Limited Edition."

...sometimes this aspect of gaming is far more confusing than it needs to be. If the retailers and the developers would work together to avoid obfuscating this crap I'd be more eager to spend my money!

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 6:41:44 AM PDT
soumashichi says:
the plasma cutter is way too small

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 6:56:33 PM PST
Plasma cutter is just for kids, but think about it; You get Dead Space Extraction AND Plasma cutter AND DS2 O.S.T. AND Necromorph concept art.
"just for $20."
I canceled my standard order and changed it to collector's edition >.<;

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 8:26:41 PM PST
Extraction comes with any edition of the ps3 and the dlc is nice and the art is ok but both not worth $20. The plasma cutter is really small and looks like it would fall apart easily. I think Ill just stick with the standard edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2010 2:25:49 AM PST
you are confused only the collectors edition comes with the extraction, the others just a demo.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 10:22:05 PM PST
Jason Ralsky says:
both standard and CE for PS3 come with extraction

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 5:46:44 AM PST
saids dsle comes with suit and force gun .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 9:01:48 AM PST
J. Rivera says:
not to mock you.. but the fact that the plasma cutter is "just for kids" makes this post kinda humorous considering this game is rated "Mature" -- yet, to be fair and honest, it is made entirely to scale for a child's hand.. but then again it's for display not for blinking people in the car with when they cut you off on the interstate. :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2011 1:55:27 AM PST
Futzbucket says:
"...I was wondering what kind of material [the plasma cutter] is made from."

The plama cutter is small. It's handle will fit about two of your fingers. It's a plasic casting, so it's solid with no moving parts, lights, etc. It looks great though, and is an accurate representation of the new cutter.

"...I saw some confusion over whether or not you would get extraction if you had the standard edition. Do you get extraction with the standard edition or did I misread something?"

Extraction comes with all CE of DS2 for the PS3, and comes with the first wave of regular copies produced for the PS3 as well. This means that on day 1, every copy in every store will also come with a voucher for the full version of DS:E. After the first wave, all regular versions of DS:E will come with only a demo for DS:E.

With all that in mind, let's further address your orginal question of "Collector's Edition Worth It?" Since you stated that you've no interest in the art and soundtrack, and we've covered the cutter and DS:E already, let's discuss the in-game swag. Keep in mind that all this I know of is for the PS3 only, and I don't know about it's 360 counterpart.

First off, if you've a saved game of the original DS on your HDD, you will be awarded with the oringinal plasma cutter from DS to be used in DS2. The reason why this is cool is because it's been stated that in DS2, for the entire first chapter Isaac won't have a weapon and is expected to just run from everything. Being he'll have the oringinal cutter with him, why run when you could just cut everything apart? Also, being Isaac starts by wearing the original rig from DS and doesn't score the newer rig till later, if you want to make a "classic" run of DS2, you'll want that original cutter. As far as I know, this is currently the only way to get the original cutter in DS2.

If you score DS: Ignition (either by purchasing it through PSN or as a pre-order bonus through Amazon for both the regular and CE of DS2), by beating this game you can score four different things to take into DS2.
1) Hacker Suit
This is a rig that comes with the ability to help Isaac deal with hacking in DS2. It's unknown at this time how exactly this will be usefull. As far as anyone knows, this is currently the only way to get this rig in DS2.
2) Hacker Contact Beam Skin
It's a skin that matches the CB to the Hacker Suit. This is currently the only way to score the skin for DS2.
3) Audio Logs
Things you can listen to in DS2 that'll give some backstory. This is curently the only way to get these logs in DS2.
4) Power Nodes, Credits, and Health Packs
Always handy to have, and Isaac will start with a nice buff.

This is all a person can score without the CE. The CE comes with a voucher for two items in DS2, that can currently only be scored through puchasing the CE.
1) Unitology Suit
This is known as the "Tank Suit" from DS, available only though DLC. In DS, it's a level 5 rig with full item slots and a whopping 60% armor. In DS, it's a greyish-metal rig with unitology script scratched all over it, with splotches of blood here and there. Besides being the best rig you could ever get in DS (better even than the level 6 Military Rig's 30% armor), it totally goes with the enviroment cosmeticly speaking. I'm assuming the suit is pretty much the same for DS2, and if so, then it could very well be the best rig anyone could get for DS2.
2) "Accompanying Force Gun"
I'm guessing they mean the force gun that comes with the "Tank Pack" DLC for DS, meaning its skin matches that of the Unitology Suit. As far as I know, this is the only way to score this skin for DS2, and may also be the only way to get a force gun in DS2 at all. I can't find any confirmation of there normally being a fg in DS2, so...yeah. This may be it. Also, the "Tank Pack" dlc's fg was a significantly more powerful version of the normal fg.

So, the bottom like is the only thing you'll really get from the CE is the Unitology Suit and it's matching Force Gun DLC for use in DS2.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dead Space 2 forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (272)