5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Textbooks
Amazon consistantly has the lowest prices on textbooks for College. The book arrived very quickly and I had it in plenty of time before classes started. Brand New book. Best place to get textbooks for sure.
Published on September 2, 2011 by TNCUTIE

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag
Published 21 months ago by M. Kirkland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, December 21, 2012
M. Kirkland (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: College Algebra Essentials Plus MyMathLab/MyStatLab Student Access Code Card (3rd Edition) (Hardcover)
I just finished using this book and software with an online course of College Algebra. I am not a young student, so perhaps that affects my review. That being said, I found the book to be worthless. Unlike others, I did not think the book explained how to work the concepts very well. I know Dr. Blitzer is trying to use practical examples to make the text more interesting and his love of math is evident, but I dearly wish he had stuck with fleshing out the concepts and how to work them out with more straight examples. The application of mathematical principles and their usefulness becomes evident in other classes or in the work world...I don't need a sales job on math in my college textbook. Perhaps in a traditional classroom setting I would feel differently about this text.

The software on the other hand, is fantastic. Pearson's MyMathLabs is a software package that, as a standalone product, can teach college algebra. It has the features that allow you to see a similar problem worked step-by-step (which I used extensively), to see a video on many problems on how to work the problems, view the passage of text (why one would do this escapes me), which "explains" the concept, or if you are stuck, it will help you solve the problem you are on and then serve up another similar problem to enable you to master the concept. I doubt I actually used the book more than 2 hours the whole semester. So there are my comments....your mileage may vary.

On the positive side, Dr. Blitzer's book makes a fine paperweight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Textbooks, September 2, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless, January 24, 2012
I searched for this textbook with the code included, and even ordered new to ensure it was included. We ended up having to buy the code separately. Had we known this prior to purchase, we would have bought a used book to save cost. The description needs to include all of the contents listed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent price, slightly used, November 12, 2013
I bought the book, obviously knowing it was outdated and used. There's a lot of notations still left in the book from a previous owner. It came with a disc in back untouched, so that is a bonus. Book is required for a college level Algebra class, however, by the 2nd week the teacher and the rest of the students were using the newer 4th edition. My professor originally told me 3rd, so I'm sticking by it, but I would recommend double checking before making a purchase. Overall, even for the small issues with it being previously used, the price was better then most books I've had to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Textbook for College Algebra, January 22, 2013
The textbook convey's the lessons well and has very good examples but sometime I get slightly lost when i see the order of the lessons. However that is because people learn at diffrent rate for some concept. This book is still very good for the individual who study's alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Condition, March 6, 2014
The books pages were in fantastic condition and there's no major damages that aesthetically deforms the book! A great purchase!

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Typos/Misinformation, December 27, 2013
My class found a lot of errors in this book. My professor would often use this book as a base starting point and end up adjusting the problems because they had errors with them. Would not recommend using this book for a class at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars College Algebra, December 23, 2013
This book was very complete and understandable with lots of practice problems and answers to check work. Would recommend it to antone who has not taken classes for a period of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Condition, October 25, 2013
Few pencil markings but over all the quality of the book is great. It is definitely better than paying over $100 in my college book store for a used one that seems like someone's dog got a hold on..

4.0 out of 5 stars take that school store, August 18, 2013
good online for only a couple of bucks & saved over $80 used at school. Great shape, better than listed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›