5.0 out of 5 stars The book on ADHD every was searching!
We finally got it!

In the intro, Michael Sandler writes about an episode, an accident, that changed his life, and for the best. In his words:
Published on May 23, 2008 by Rosanna Tarsiero

3.0 out of 5 stars Self Help for LD
The author of this book is an otherwise normal individual who suffered brain trauma as a result of an accident. After recovering, he was left with a permanent hidden scar of this accident in the form of ADD, Attention Deficit Disorder, and some evidence of AD/HD, Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders.

As a self-help book as is the case of many I have...
Published 19 months ago by Michael Reeves

5.0 out of 5 stars The book on ADHD every was searching!, May 23, 2008
This review is from: College Confidence with ADD: The Ultimate Success Manual for ADD Students, from Applying to Academics, Preparation to Social Success and Everything Else You Need to Know (Paperback)
We finally got it!

"I am very thankful for that accident, and for all of the struggles and challenges to follow. And I'm incredibly thankful that the "new" me, the one who whoke up to find someone else's blood being pumped into his veins, had the opportunity to rewrite much of this book.
You see, the book was originally a how-to guide for being the best square peg in a round hole. But when I cam to, I realized that wouldn't do it. I could no longer help students just fit in or get by. Life's too precious, too short, and we have far too much to offer. While good grades are great, I want to help students discover their inner talents, joy, and passion, so they may love, laugh, and achieve their dreams while living life to the fullest. I wanted to help them build castles in the sky."

With this spirit, Michael almost entirely re-wrote this book.

Every challenge is analyzed in a pros vs cons fashion, and strengths are used to face and solve problems. Problems are NOT denied, forgotten, or glossed over. Similarly, strengths aren't idolized but used.

In every chapter, the author offers balanced views (challenges and advantages are both explored), practical how-tos, and even tips on what to try, what not to try, and why!

What I loved about this book is that it's not as negative as many others are, focusing on the negatives only. But it also isn't as delusional as many are, thinking that only strengths should be analyzed, and cultivated for the fun of it, rather than for solving actual challenges.

The book, essentially, answers the question (and the quest): how can I obtain results without selling myself short and while having fun and pride in what I do?

As I said, this book is what we ADHDers have been searching for and hadn't found just yet.

Remember, it's not just for students, because it teaches the reader a new way to frame the ADHD challenges, and this new way can be applied to just about anything under the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for all AD/HD students and adults - Why I Prefer It., September 19, 2008
It's rare that a book comes along that touches your heart while helping you relate to specific problems.

College Confidence with ADD is one such book. Written from the heart, Michael Sandler doesn't preach, but instead shares with you the hurdles involved in succeeding with ADHD, or any learning disability for that matter, how he personally overcame his challenges, and ways you too can succeed.

It's really two books in one...the first, a personal account of overcoming challenges, succeeding with a 'disability', and as Michael puts it, and shares through his own story, turning 'challenges into opportunities'. It's a beautiful book written from the heart sharing his touching stories.

The second book is a how-to guide on overcoming almost every challenge imaginable, and succeeding in school or in life today. Others I've shown this book would say it's a how-to guide for anyone in this modern, hectic, crazy-world. But it's definitely a how-to guide for anyone that think's outside the box, doesn't go from point A to point B in a straight line, or is labeled with AD/HD, Asbergers, Dyslexia, or any other 'learning disability'.

Michael helps readers quickly find the information they, or I am looking for, so that you can get back on track quickly. If you're struggling for a test, the info's in there...need to get organized, it's in there, struggling with relationships in school or beyond, it's in there too.

And it's COLOR!!!!!!

The layout is beautiful, it makes it easy to thumb through, skim at a glance (there are these great tabs on the side that let you skim the book like a dictionary) and with little graphics, icons, and text-boxes, helps keep your attention (That's important for this reader!!!)

If you're looking for one book to overcome challenges, see how others have done it, and figure out how to succeed, this book is worth a try!!!

(I just got the audiobook version after falling in love with the paperback. For my short attention span, the audio-version is even better!

(Here's the Link)(College Confidence with ADD - Unabridged Audiobook - The Ultimate Success Manual for ADD Students, from Applying to Academics, Preparation to Social Success and Everything Else You Need to Know

Like the book, it's short-attention-span friendly. Everything's broken up into bite-size pieces, it covers everything from the main book...I think even more in the medication and alternatives sections...at least that's what I've found so far)

The audiobook has chimes help keep your focus, and you can listen while multi-tasking, walking across campus, in your room, or in your car. You might keep the paperback as the quick reference guide and get the audiobook to go through the whole book...or give the paperback to mom and dad and put the audiobook on your Ipod or other Mp3 player)

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Book For ADDers -- Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, July 3, 2008
I can't say enough about how terrific and unique this book is not only for teens going off to college, in college, post grads... but for ANYONE with ADD or ADHD!! This book is explained in a format where the author shares his stories and then details what he has learned from his experiences, in order to help others. He has ADHD himself and is even a life coach for other ADDers now. This book is like having an ADD coach by your side all the time. You can use it as a guide and flip through various sections when necessary or you can read it cover to cover over and over again. The author's writing is captivating, lighthearted and even humorous at times. He even laughs at his own mistakes sometimes, which truly helps readers see life as a bigger picture than just a current struggle they may be going through at the time. He explains the many creative gifts of having ADD and broaches just about every life topic with great knowledge. His sections range from the best foods for an ADDer to eat to stay focused, to sections on how college students with ADD can keep a great schedule for eating, laundry, and cleaning. He also broaches much deeper sections on depression and impulse behaviors of ADDers. This book is captivating and is such an easy read for someone who may have trouble focusing. It is truly an essential educational resource for ANYONE with ADD or ADHD!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST ADD Book on the market, December 5, 2009
I was diagnosed with ADD late in high school and have been having one of the most difficult years of my life in my senior year of college. I recently began seeing a "ADD Counselor" at the health center to try and make the best of the semester but my workload has really gotten the best of me. I am pursuing a degree in Biomedical Engineering and am almost at the end of my rope! I have another grueling 2 years left of undergrad and my ability to see the light at the end of the tunnel has seriously diminished in the past few months.

I miraculously found the time to flip through this book at the University Bookstore for a split second before classes and nearly cried when I read through some of the things Michael Sandler wrote. I have read many, many books about coping with ADD and college/life/relationships etc. but I have never been so profoundly impacted by a ADD "self help" book. Mr Sandler's personal approach is a breath of fresh air in comparison to other aids I have tried. With every turn of the page, I kept thinking everything he was saying was exactly how I felt.
This is a guide to help us "ADDers" find the most effective approach to handling, not only academic life, but also personal relationships, finances, and emotional well being.

If you are a Teacher (HS or University level), seriously consider reading this in order to better understand some of the difficulties that about 10% of your students learn to make the most of.

If you are looking into this book for someone else, and ESPECIALLY if you are a parent of a student with ADD/ADHD do not hesitate to read this book. I bought the copy I was looking through and sent another to my parents.

If you yourself have ADD, just read 3 pages from any section and see what you think.

Bottom Line: This is a self help book from someone who has actually "been there done that". These are invaluable words of wisdom and ENCOURAGEMENT, and solid advice from someone who has traveled this bumpy road before.

BEST OF LUCK!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for anyone with ADHD, March 11, 2010
I found this book chock full of great strategies and advice for ADHD and school. The author has put his heart into this. I'm the mother of two teens with ADHD; I've read a ton of books on the subject but find this the most useful. This will really speak to you and give you strategies before problems pop up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, practical, positive advice, November 2, 2008
Laura F-T (Ventura Co., CA USA) - See all my reviews
As a psychologist working in a college disabled students service, I am always on the lookout for books and materials to use with/recommend to students. "College Confidence" will now be high on our list. The information, the layout and, importantly, the attitude are all on target.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overall information, covers the student as a whole., December 15, 2008
C. Mastrogiovanni (Arlington, MA United States) - See all my reviews
As a high school guidance counselor, I would definitely recommend this audio book to my ADD/ADHD students. The main reason I did not give it 5 stars was because of the repetitious music in between chapters. I found it extremely annoying to listen to over and over again! However, this audiobook offers a lot of good insight to students who struggle, and even adults who struggle in the workplace (although it is definitely geared towards high school kids who are off to a traditional 4-year college. I liked that it focused on the whole student, not just the academics. It covers areas such as exercise, diet, time management, and social aspects.
One thing I can recommend to those reading or listening to this book is as a high school sophomore or junior, ask your counselor about applying for extended time before you take SAT's or even PSAT's. This can help a great deal, since the test is timed, and most students end up running out of time.
I did not agree with the author's opinion that students who truly struggle with the daily challenges of ADD should sign up for AP courses in high school. Most (not all, but most) of my students with ADD would not be able to handle the challenges of taking on an AP course, especially since it requires a great deal of independent work and high organizational skills. I do believe that ALL students should sign up for the most challenging classes they can possibly handle in high school, and honors courses are great if appropriate. You can still get into some great colleges if you do not have "AP" written on your transcript. For some students, AP's are just not realistic. But that's ok.
Helpful information overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars College Confidence with ADD, July 29, 2008
Katrina Lee (Danvers, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
As a Director of Student Services in Massachusetts, where Michael Sandler grew up, I am always on the lookout for information that informs and inspires. Michael Sandler's book, College Confidence with ADD, offers a wide array of useful tips, solid facts and a broad perspective that will benefit students and parents alike..even if the students aren't going to college.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ADD books out there!, July 27, 2011
This book has really helped me understand my ADD, how to shape my life living with ADD ( there are many chapters about this). Very detailed about everything to do with college (even organizing your room).

I can see this book really helping someone who sn't going to college, someone who is working.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good summation, September 27, 2010
Although the information is basic common sense, it does help to have it spelled out in an organized matter with issues and solutions. Was able to highlight topical info to discuss with someone with a short attention span! Bite sizes.