5.0 out of 5 stars Eat well in college!
Most college kids eat abysmally. I know; I still remember that period of my life. In "College Cooking: Feed yourself and your friends," college students Megan & Jill Carle decided to create a no-fail collection of recipes and tips to allow college students to cook delicious, reasonably healthy meals on a shoestring budget with a minimally-furnished kitchen.

The...
Published on April 9, 2007 by H. Grove (errantdreams)

3.0 out of 5 stars Carles' College Cooking is Advanced Course
Published on May 29, 2007 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Carles' College Cooking is Advanced Course, May 29, 2007
Amazon Customer "Lynn Byrne" (Colleges at BellaOnline.Com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends (Paperback)
I'm not a foodie, but I like to cook. I've also found its one of the greatest ways to pull together people from diverse backgrounds--nothing like closeting a group of unrelated people in a cozy kitchen, pulling out some good food and drink, and chatting. Beats the heck out of the cardboard pizza most study and discussion groups serve. So, when I received a copy of Megan and Jill Carle's College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends, I have to admit I was more than ready to give it a go.

Now, normally a cookbook labeled "College Cooking" is going to have 101 things to do with Ramen Noodles or 100+ ways to microwave canned foods so that they no longer resemble canned foods. The Carles didn't take this approach, however. They've put together real recipes, using real foods. The catch is, you're going to need a real kitchen--or at least access to one--to make their dishes. Sometimes that's not such an easy item to come by when you're still in college--even if you are a graduate student.

What do the Carles have to offer? Let's take a look at last week's brunch: fresh tomato soup (ripe tomatoes, salt, milk, and pepper), chicken salad pita sandwiches (real chicken, lettuce, celery, cucumber, grapes and a peppery mayo), zucchini olive salad (strips of crisp zuchinni, garlic, basil, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, Parmesan, black olives and sunflower seeds), and lemon sugar cookies (made with real butter). Everyone had fun lending a hand with the meal and it was absolutely yummy!

Unfortunately, everything in this meal--with the exception of the zuchinni salad--required access to a full kitchen; and that particular fact applies to almost every recipe in the Carles' book. Also, the Carles give quite a few tips on making vegetarian dishes using their recipes; but few tips on making their recipes either low-cal or low-fat. All of which explains why I'm reviewing this particular "College" cookbook on the graduate school site and not the colleges site--graduate students have been out of the nest long enough to have learned a few tricks to manage these particular issues.

If you do have access to a full kitchen (and a nice enough bank balance to afford some of the more particular ingredients these recipes call for--like fresh black olives as opposed to canned), the Carles have put together a really nice collection of recipes covering everything from comfort foods to party foods in College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat well in college!, April 9, 2007

The book starts out with a few "kitchen basics" including notes on their assumptions and decisions regarding ingredients. They've truly taken a college lifestyle into account; after all, your average college student doesn't have a ton of spare cash and probably doesn't have a car to go fetch groceries with.

There's a section on necessary tools and equipment--what you can get away with purchasing in terms of quality and quantity that'll allow you to make the widest array of recipes with the least outlay of money.

The simplest recipes in the cookbook--and the best place to start if you've never picked up a spatula before--can be found in the first main chapter, "Survival Cooking." Here is where you'll find a variety of recipes primarily made with a handful of simple ingredients, including classics such as chicken recipes that use cans of cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix. Fine dining it isn't, but that isn't what we're looking for here--we're looking for something that'll teach a college student to cook and keep her in basic healthy food. It serves this purpose beautifully.

Many of the recipes include handy little sidebars featuring everything from tidbits of food trivia to suggestions for converting recipes to vegetarian versions, reducing the fat content of a recipe, substituting other interesting ingredients, or even finding cheaper options for some ingredients. Other chapters include healthier options, themed party dishes, and more.

These recipes and more could get any student through four years of college without having to resort to a solid diet of fast food and sugar. All you need are a minimal kitchen and the desire to give cooking a chance. When I was around college age I found that students were so desperate for a good meal that you could trade a home-cooked dinner for almost any sort of favor you needed done, and Alton Brown himself has waxed rhapsodic about the utility of being able to cook in wooing college dates. There are as many reasons to try out cooking in college as there are recipes in this book--so if you have any kind of kitchen facilities at all, I urge you to ask your own parents to pack this book along to you as a basic tool of college life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great college cook book, February 5, 2009
I'm a 19 year old college male who just moved out of the dorms. I consider myself comfortable in the kitchen but not overly confident. This book is just about perfect. It was written by two sisters who were just out of college. They break up the book into sections from "survival cooking" and "avoiding the freshman fifteen" to "impressing your date" and "satisfying your sweet tooth." They also throw in a few party menus for an 80s party, or oktoberfest. Nearly every recipe has a picture to go with so you have an idea what it should look like, and while my dishes never look that good it lets me aspire to maybe reach that one day. They start by talking about cooking basics chopping garlic, finding the right kind of potato, and cooking broccoli. Then they talk about what kind of equipment, herbs and other baking goods every kitchen should have. Then they get to the recipes. At my first glance I thought wow these include a lot of ingredients and will be complex to make. But when I began making them they are simple and don't use too many ingredients. They offer little hints like instead of using chicken you can use tofu and how to cook it, or cheaper ingredients that can be substituted in. My one, and very small hold up about the book is that id doesn't have a prep and cook time on the side. This doesn't mean they don't say how long to cook everything. So for anyone who is moving out of the dorms looking for a first time cooking cook book this if for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT 27 WAYS TO CHANGE UP RAMON NOODLE SOUP, July 3, 2007
Campus Bound? Here's
College Cooking:
Feed Yourself and Your Friends
By: Megan & Jill Carle
A review by: Marty Martindale

It's rare a dorm-dweller heads out equipped with knowledge to eat well and how to prepare it. It's even rarer when two daughters from one family head out so well-equipped. This is the case of the Carle sisters, Megan and Jill, already authors of a cookbook, College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends (also when budgets are slim and space is limited.)
They aptly organize the Contents into sections for Survival, Avoiding the Freshman Fifteen, Toga Party, Cheap Eats, Cinco de Mayo, Eat your Greens, Tapas Party, Just Like Mom Makes, Oktoberfest, Food for the Masses, Impressing your Date, 80s Party finishing off with Satisfying Your Sweet Tooth.
Between this and the recipes, they help out with some Kitchen Basics, Tools and Equipment and Stocking your Pantry.
Some overviews:
Chicken with Rice: Merely cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, white rice, water and chicken pieces....
Eggplant, Tomato and Mozzarella Stacks: Just exactly as the title suggests, great looks!
Tzatziki: (Greek night must): Cucumber, onion, garlic, feta cheese, sour cream and pita breat
Spachetti Carbonara: Spaghetti, bacon, garlic, eggs, milk and Parmesan cheese
Black Beans and Rice with Recaito: Water, rice, olive oil, recaito (see ingredients list), can of black beans and can of diced tomato
Zucchini Olive Salad: Zucchinis, garlic, fresh basil, lemon juice, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, black olives and sunflower seeds
Chicken Salad Pita Sandwiches: chicken pieces, celery, cucumber grapes, mayo, pita and lettuce(s)
Grape Jelly Meatballs: onion, ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, grape jelly and chili sauce
Potato Chip Cookies: butter, sugar, crushed, ridged potato chils, pecans, vanilla, flour and some confectioners' sugar for dusting
Peanut Butter Cup Bars: butter, jar of peanut butter, graham crackers, confectioners' sugar and chocolate chips
Brownie Bites: chocolate chips, butter, can sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, flour and chopper walnuts
Blueberry Turnovers: cream cheese, egg, sugar, sheet of puff pastry and blueberries

After all. Being a capable and gracious host/hostess is another hoped-for outcome from higher education. That plus also starts here!
Marty is owner of: FOOD SITE OF THE DAY.

5.0 out of 5 stars He was happy!, October 10, 2011
I gave this to my son who is just starting to explore cooking on his own. He was pretty excited to get it. I was surprised at his reaction...I figured it would be one of those presents that went in the closet and was forgotten but he was very appreciative! It's nice to get it right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely useful!, February 16, 2011
This book has a ton of easy, affordable, delicious recipes that are perfect for a college student or someone just learning to cook. My favorite is the chicken tortilla soup, I make it at least once a week!
The only downside is that you need a refrigerator, stove, and oven in order to use these recipes, so it is more ideal to buy this for a student in an apartment rather than a dorm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average college cookbook, January 16, 2010
Lauren Pavia (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I was not expecting too much from this book. Since it was titled "college cooking", I figured it was a gimmick designed to attract people to buy for their kids at college, but not expecting them to read through all the recipes to see if they were any good. My dad got this book for me for Christmas, so I looked through it to see if there was anything worth making. Turns out, the book is great!

I've had about half a dozen cookbooks, but this is the first one I have actually used! I feel like a gourmet when I have my friends try the dishes I make from the book, and love them. And most dishes are fairly inexpensive, and "Cooking for the Masses" recipes have lasted me for a few days, which I love when I'm busy at school and can't cook everyday. I've made the stuffed mushrooms, potato pancake, baked pasta with sausage, strawberry and goat cheese salad (with instructions to make the dressing AND candied pecans!). And there are SO many more recipes I haven't tried yet and am really looking forward to (fried chicken, ratatouille, couscous stuffed peppers).

This book is fantastic, and there are a lot of vegetarian options too, if you like that sort of thing. I am really impressed with a lot of the different cultural influences the girls have pulled in from their travels-- there are french, cajun, and thai recipes, to name a few. And I haven't even gotten to the desserts yet, which look fantastic!

I give this book an A+ because there are SO many good recipes (not just a few with a bunch of filler), they are very easy to make and the instructions are very clear (even a beginner can figure them out) and because I've basically learned to cook using this book! The recipes are so tasty and always impress. I only wish my dad had given this book to me earlier (when I was actually starting college-- he gave it to me when I was almost done!). You do need a full kitchen-- but even when I lived in the dorm, we had a fully equipped kitchen at the end of the hall and our own refrigerator, so I could have used this book easily.

I will be buying more books by these two authors. Thank you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not necessarily a college cooking, but the recipes are surely great, January 20, 2009
This cooking book is not for college kids who live in dorms without kitchen. Microwave definitely useless to make the food. Most of the recipes require either an oven or a stove. Nonetheless, all the recipes turn out great and easy to make. I had no cooking experience when I bought this book, but all my friends who tried my cooking raved on the "spinach salad with strawberries and goat cheese", "caramelized banana cake", "garlic shrimp", "Thai chicken", and many more!

The instructions are clear, the recipes are easy and affordable, and most important of all, YUMMY!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for real college students, September 24, 2010
Since this book was written by two college students, I thought it would be perfect for my daughter who is now living in an apartment off campus. Wrong! Many of the recipes require costly ingredients that are not staples of cost conscious students.
The recipes read like they were written by two girls attending a wealthy private school. The recipes seem more appropriate for young people who have recently started careers, not students who are penny pinching.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, nutritionally misleading, March 23, 2008
OK, honestly I only read the first recipe, but as a physician and nutritionist I find the notation along with the chicken and rice recipe to be inaccurate and misleading. Having spent 7 years as a college student I can appreciate the need for quick and cheap calories, but it is flat out wrong to imply that white rice is a good source of fiber and B-vitamins. The authors may have consulted information on brown rice, which has more of these aforementioned nutrients. White rice is also a moderately high glycemic index food, contributing to glucose disregulation (including diabetes) in those susceptible. Anyway, there is no replacement for fresh whole foods to get one's fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. All the more important for students who need all the brain food they can get. Nothing is easier or cheaper than brown rice and steamed or sautéed veggies. Canned foods and refined carbohydrates are not on the road to life long health.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends
College Cooking: Feed Yourself and Your Friends by Megan Carle (Paperback - April 1, 2007)
$19.99 $13.32