Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on May 13, 2008
This book is a wonderful resource for people who are thinking about or definitely know they want to teach their children at home through the high school years. Not only does this book provide specific and clear explanations about the high school years from the experienced perspective of a homeschooling couple who taught their first two children at home all the way through high school, but it also provides a college professor's (David's) expert insights about what skills and knowledge students need to have in order to be successful in higher education.

There aren't many books out there written about the high school years of homeschooling. Those that are available often offer only the homeschooling family's personal and non-authoritative experiences, but not enough information from the perspectives of colleges and universities. Those that offer such perspectives offer them second-hand through interviews or information obtained from college officials. College-Prep Homeschooling offers information about why students succeed or fail in college from Dr. Byers' extensive experience and knowledge as a college professor. Dr. Byers holds an earned doctorate in Education with a specialization in Teaching and Learning.

From lesson plans to transcripts, this book has it all. It is soon to be a best seller among homeschooling families.
on April 28, 2009
Best home school book ever written! I must own at least 20 home schooling books, and most of them are fine books, but geared mainly to the younger years for home schooling. Out of all the books I have read about home schooling through high school, this one tops the list by a mile. The advice in this book is the most useful and valuable I have ever seen and it is an easy read. Brilliant ideas abound in this book; ideas to help steer your reluctant teen through the high school years and more importantly concrete ways to get your teen ready for college. I cannot say enough about this book, if I could do it all again, I would buy only two home school books - and this one would be the only one I would buy for the high school years. This is one gem of a book that will guide you through the minefield of high school in an easy, relaxed and entertaining way. Buy it today, don't wait a second more - it will save your sanity - my kids are already in high school at home, buy this before yours get to 9th grade and you will be 100% ready when the time comes to start.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2011
It's OK. It could easily have been much shorter. Some chapters just go on and on with blab without giving any real substance. I like my books to get to the point. The book is probably better for parents who aren't already homeschooling. I have to honestly say I've found "Setting the Records Straight" by Lee Binz to be a much, much better book for meeting my needs of homeschooling a highschooler.
on April 22, 2009
This is a great book for those wanting to homeschool through high school. It has many excellent suggestions for creating your own curriculum, and also some great examples. A history of the modern homeschool movement is also given. This is a scholarly look at homeschooling, as well as a practical look at homeschooling highschoolers. Excellent!! I got it from my library and now I am purchasing it.
on March 23, 2010
The book has some helpful parts, but not nearly as helpful or detailed as it could have been. Much of it is repetitive stuff similar to other homeschooling books - comparing and weighing the pros and cons of various homeschooling styles. If amazon had offered sample pages for this, I probably would not have bought it. I guess the title appealed to me more than anything.
on March 15, 2010
I borrowed this book from the library and found it so helpful, I purchased a copy. I was nervous as to whether I should home school my soon to be high-school daughter in the Fall. This guide is very comprehensive and has great examples of how to create a syllabus, curriculum and many other record keeping reports. The section on learning styles and teaching methods is very enlightening. I've heard educational lingo thrown around before, and this guide helps clarify it in an non-intimidating manner. I like the way the book approaches homeschooling concentrating on academics, while only briefly covering homeschooling rights and religion. Although this guide is written by an academic it is very assessable and I actually had trouble putting it down. I'm excited now to begin my family's new homeschooling journey and because of this book I feel well prepared.
on September 7, 2009
I checked this book out at the library and loved it so much that I had to purchase it. It is a great source for homeschooling families. It has loads of helpful information and I will use it for years.
on May 4, 2010
Clear practical advice for sure....but the best part was the MANY creative ideas they used personally in working with their high schoolers. I am looking forward to incorporating several of them this year and believe it will make for a more interesting and challenging year, with my daughter retaining much more of what she learns. Definitely one of, if not THE best, home school for high school books I've read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
To be perfectly honest, reading "College-Prep Homeschooling: Your Complete Guide to Homeschooling through High School" completely stressed me out. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be read, however. Dr. David P. Byers is a college professor with a Ph.D. in education as well as a homeschool dad. He writes from the perspective of what he expects from his college students. It is a good, but demanding, perspective. Chandra Byers offers the homeschool mom point of view. The couple has six children with two who, as of the writing of this book, had homeschooled through high school.

Topics in this book include are making the decision to homeschool through high school, what should be taught in high school, and how to prepare for college. They offer concrete information on how to create a high school program, including how to create course descriptions and write educational objectives. Keeping adequate records and developing transcripts is also covered.

This is an info-heavy book, but definitely worth reading if you plan to homeschool through high school.
on August 1, 2012
This is another book that I've found extremely helpful in prepping to homeschool high school. Dr. Byers is a college professor and homeschool parent, and writes as one experienced on both sides of the diploma. College-Prep Homeschooling covers a wide variety of subjects, from encouraging study skills and critical thinking skills to creating schedules, syllabi and transcripts. While the book is titled College-Prep Homeschooling, Dr. Byers makes clear that the skills covered within will benefit any high school student, regardless of their plans after graduation. That said, if your student is college bound, this is a book you will find invaluable in terms of preparation for college level study.