2,194 Reviews

Published 18 months ago by rickshel

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing yet annoying, January 27, 2013
rickshel (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
Spoiler alert!
I am so confused by all these great reviews people are sending in. Yes this was an amazing book but did no one else understand how freaking stupid Emily was? She stayed with a man who lied to her and cheated on her through the whole book when there was a compassionate and in love guy right Infront of her! Thats the thing that I loved about this book, Gavin. But the fact that Emily was so stupid just really made me annoyed with this book. And the ending was awful! She actually listens to what Dillion ORDERS her to do? Does she not realize when a guy has a awful drinking problem and when he is ordering you to do something you should leave him. And another thing even if she didnt beleive Gavin why does she immdeiantly go to freaking Dillion? Why can't she just take a break before running straight back to the guy who hit her!? I realize I'm ranting and I'm sorry but Im mad that this book was so amazing with the love Gavin gave her but I'm also so annoyed that Emily was a very stupid chatector.

1.0 out of 5 stars No, February 1, 2013
I can't compute how annoyed I am with books like these. I wanted to like it. I buy books like these for a reason; easy, light reads I can read between studying, classes, work, and boyfriend time. Sometime you get lucky with one that is actually awesome and takes you on a higher level of enjoyment and you HAVE to devour. Collide is absolutely nothing original. I DESPISE books like these that add in miscommunication for the sake of prolonging the story and drama. I HATE IT!!! It's unoriginal and annoying.
The female protagonist is ridiculous and got to be way too much toward halfway through. I guess I have a different mentality, but a man telling me "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HANG OUT WITH THIS GIRL BECAUSE SHE HAS PIERCINGS AND IS DRESSED WEIRD" would make me laugh and tell him to gtfo of my house not cower and nod. It was mentioned once of twice that the girl has abandonment issues and she didn't want to find a guy like her father. UMMMM DOESN'T SEEM LIKE YOU'RE ON THE RIGHT TRACK, SWEETHEART! The waffling got to be too much and the "I can't deal with this, I'm gonna throw up! I can't speak to him because blahblahblahblah..." makes me clinge. Please, stop with the forced drama and weak women.

I guess this book just wasn't for me from the beginning because I'm not a "love at first sight" kind of girl. Lust, sure. Love? Yeah..no.

Not to mention the sex scenes were not steamy or hot (there is a lot of wall sex). I get it, we all have a favorite position but if you're going to write basically the same scene over and over again, it's gonna get boring. - So, no saving grace there. Plus the whole *spoiler* cheating thing is completely disgusting to me. Can we talk about the biggest thing for me: unprotected sex with just anyone. Awesome. Really. "I'm on the pill." Oh! Great! So the hoards of other females Gavin had sex with plus, Dillion who cheated on you who knows how many times but you've been having unprotected sex with...there's really no possibilty of STDs. Right. But she's on the pill. So it's all good. <sarcasm></sarcasm>

This author did not impress me at all and I will NOT be purchasing more of her stories. Seriously what's with Amazon reviews lately? It's so difficult for me to find books now because I have hardly any trust in these five star ratings. Give me a break. People are too easy with these ratings.

Another book? Really. Okay. People are getting crazy with these sequels.

*Pardon the caps lock, I just finished reading the book and am a little peeved.* *annoyed face* *angry face* *sad face*

1.0 out of 5 stars Door Mat, January 23, 2013
First of all, the writing style is great. The reason I'm giving this book one star is because the heroine in this book is a DOOR MAT!!! She is weak with not an ounce of backbone. I wanted to smack her - but I guess her "poor me" character brings the necessary angst in this story. The secondary "female" characters were smarter but should have shaken her till her brains clicked to a normal pace. Lord, this book pissed me off - gotta go read a funny fluff to get this taste off...noticed there's supposed to be a sequel. Do we need more torture?

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, January 24, 2013
I need a drink and a shower after this book. Gavin is not Christian Grey or Travis. Gavin is new he's fresh and damn lickable. Ms. McHugh I really don't give out 5 stars that much and I never post my reviews on amazon, but damned if you didn't earn it with your book. Very well done. You showed why indie authors are WHAT we should be reading. Really you have a new fan can't wait to read the next book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Frustration, January 25, 2013
I should've put this book down and spared myself a headache. While I didn't hate it, I certainly didn't love it, either. Actually, I take that back. It was pretty awful.

One thing that got on my nerves was the fact that the characters laughed with almost everything they said, and most of what they said wasn't even funny enough to warrant a laugh. Not to mention the fact that 'laughed' was used as a dialogue tag. It isn't a dialogue tag. It's an action tag. There's a difference between action tags and dialogue tags. This means that they're punctuated differently. You can't speak an action. A period is needed as a separator between the action and the dialogue, not a comma.

While I had many issues with this book, the biggest annoyance for me was Emily herself. The girl was a martyr. I don't care how much Dillon did for her in the past, that didn't give him the right to treat her like crap. She claimed that there was no one from her past to compare his behavior to. She's a 24-year-old woman. She never dated before her mom got sick? I find that hard to believe, you know, since everyone in the book couldn't shut up about how beautiful she was. She was a weak, spineless woman who couldn't seem to function without a man to take care of her. Dillon manipulated her at every turn. She wasn't blind because she was naïve. She was blind because she refused to see what was right in front of her face. Everyone else could see Dillon for who he truly was. Everyone but her. She accepted every excuse he threw at her. Funny how the same didn't apply to Gavin. She wouldn't even give him the courtesy of allowing him to explain himself.

Dillon was possessive, controlling, and manipulative. I didn't understand what Emily saw in him. I didn't find him all that appealing, not even before he started showing his true colors.

Between Dillon and Gavin, the obvious choice is Gavin. However, he didn't really do it for me. I mean, he was sweet and all, but after a while, I just felt sorry for him. It was kind of pathetic. He went on and on about the connection between himself and Emily, how she was meant to be his, yet he had no problem lying to her face on Dillon's behalf. To his credit, he did eventually come clean, but seriously, come on. I didn't understand why he and Dillon were even friends. Actually, I wouldn't call what they had a real friendship. He more or less tolerated Dillon. I don't know why he put up with him. I don't know why he did a lot of the things he did.

Overall, I didn't feel like the characters were fully developed. I couldn't really connect with them. Then again, maybe it's because I have very little patience for stupidity. These characters were beyond stupid. Every last one of them. Well, everyone but Olivia. She was the only one with any common sense.

I found the book as a whole to be somewhat boring. It was overly long and wordy. The plot relied too heavily on contrived miscommunication and misunderstandings. Basically, it was angst for the sake of angst. It was also melodramatic and predictable. It had potential, but fell short on delivery.

1.0 out of 5 stars No, February 13, 2013

That could honestly be my entire review of this book. Just a big, fat, no.

I have absolutely no idea how this book go so many positive reviews. No. Idea.

The writing itself wasn't bad, if you don't count how the author sometimes went from Emily's point of view to Gavin's in the space of two chapters. It didn't take me a long time to finish this, and I didn't feel like I was slowly dragging my feet while reading it, but aside from that, there were just so many things wrong with it, oh my god.

The main character, Emily, was so incredibly oblivious to everything around her that I just wanted to slap her in the face. She was also pretty inconsistent and had no backbone at all, with one minute being mad at her boyfriend, Dillon, and on the other just throwing caution to the wind and forgiving him for whatever it was he did that time. It made me angry to read about Emily going to change just because Dillon told her to, or saying she was sorry when he was the one in the wrong. She needed to stand up for herself, and she didn't do that once throughout the entire book.

Dillon was a complete and utter douchebag. There was no more to him than that. The author gave us no reason as to why he was the way he was with Emily, why the sudden change of being the sweet boyfriend Emily thought he was when they were in a long distance relationship, or why he was so determinate to date her and marry her. It was like she just wrote him for the sake of him being a possessive and controlling bastard and stand between the two people she wanted to be together, Emily and Gavin.

As for Gavin, his behavior was stalker-ish. I found it unbelievable that he falls in love with Emily the second after he sees her. That doesn't happen. And the fact that he used that excuse, of him not being able to stop thinking about her, to chase her around everywhere was not okay.

And for the most NOT OKAY part of it all... read at your own risk because of spoilers and upsetting subjects.

[Trigger Warning: Rape]

Yeah, that happened.

Right at the end of the story Dillon raped Emily.

He justified it as being some sort of proof for him to know that Emily and Gavin didn't have sex. That if she had sex with him, he would know Emily didn't cheat on him.

Emily didn't consent to it.

We didn't need her not saying the word 'no' for it to be evident that she did not want that to happen.

It's never ever okay for someone to demand sex of another person. You don't own anyone anything, and certainly not that.

And it was so upsetting to read it because it blind-sided me. There where no warnings whatsoever when I read the blurb, or an Author's Note at the beginning to let everyone know that the story contained a scene of sexual abuse and it might upset some readers...

I just.. ugh.

I'm so disappointed. And mad that I'm never getting my money back.

This was an awful book, and you'll probably never see me picking up something this author wrote ever again.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO?!!?!?!?111, April 1, 2014
what is UP with all these 5 star reviews?? I am so confused?? this book is so boring?? and unnecessarily long/wordy?? with crappy characters??

I'm a fast reader, I've read equally lengthy kindle books in under a day. And yet I'm literally forcing myself to finish at this point and I find myself skipping paragraphs at a time. why the author finds it necessary to emphasize how much Gavin and emily are attracted to each other every two seconds is beyond me. it got to be too much and quite frankly, it was annoying. the author wasn't describing love, she was describing lust....over... and over again.

emily is such a boring character and she lacks depth. I don't understand why Gavin is so taken with her other than her apparent beauty. she was pathetic, weak, spineless, and not smart at all. I'm so sick of reading books about these rich powerful and beautiful men falling in love with heroines who are blank, so the girls reading them can project themselves onto the female character. emily also lacked consistency. she was all over the place.

Dillon... so douchy with no redeeming qualities. he was apparently so kind and loving before she moved out to NYC, but the author never provides an explanation for his random switch. why would he become MORE possessive and angry AFTER she moves to his city..?? that makes no sense and why is he all of a sudden in a rush to marry her?? it seems the author just created him for the purpose of an antagonist or love triangle. but all it really did was make the story unnecessarily long and annoying to read.

Gavin. he's obsessed with emily, sorry. the author can attempt to dress it up or romanticize it as love at first sight (which is a cheesy concept that is so ridiculous and unbelievable) but it's an obsession and nothing less. other than that he was my favorite character but that's not saying much at all.

there's abuse of all sorts in this book which I don't think was handled the right way. a lot of the side characters were underdeveloped and quite pointless. the writing wasn't bad but it was SOOOOO wordy holy crap, and a sequel is so unnecessary the author could have wrapped this book up in one novel. the plot wasn't that complex or original and definitely did not need two books to flesh out THATS for sure.

so BOOOOO to all good ratings *throws tomatoes on stage*

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, February 3, 2013
I cannot believe this book as such great reviews. It was horrible. It is an absolute waste of time. Gavin was a good male character. But Emily is so stupid. No women does as many dumb things as she does. There is no excuse for her stupidity. I read a lot and I really pay attention to others reviews and this one had so many good ones I just can't understand it. If you like weak, dumb, spineless heroines than you might like it. If you have any sense, then don't waste your money or time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, March 4, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed Fifty Shades (All 3 volumes) but this was gripping. Some may say they don't understand how or why Emily stayed with Dillon and that she was weak. When you have lived in that kind of situation and truly feel that that is all you have and deserve due to being isolated, low self esteem and/or some kind of loyalty felt for this person for what ever reason, then you will realise just how close to the wick the author has gotten, thereby making this very real and understandable to some readers. For some of us, it took many years to get to the same realization that took Emily only months.
I found it a great read but disappointing as to not knowing exactly when the next book will be released. Really looking forward to it and can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly amazing!!!! MUST READ!!!!, February 17, 2013
I LOVED Collide. Here is why, it was real. We all at some point make regretful decisions. That is reality. Some of you may think Emily is a idiot. I won't lie I was definitely calling her all kinds of names. However, as the reader were getting the whole picture. She on the other hand wasn't. I can see where she is coming from if my mother's dying words were "stay with him" I'd struggle just like Emily. I can also see why she didn't believe Gavin, seriously ladies how many of you would believe a man (only knowing what Emily saw and felt, not what actually happened.) didn't "do it" You might draw the same conclusion. Us women are quick to let our emotions out weigh common sense. I LOVED this book because it was real. The characters had valid feelings with non fairytale situations. If you read books you do it for the entertainment. This book is full of entertainment. I thoroughly enjoyed every emotional roller coaster McHugh put me on. The emotions make it entertaining which leads to an amazing book. That is exactly what this is, amazing. Frustratingly amazing. I can't wait until pulse comes out! I have never been so frustrated with characters. I really got involved in the book. That is exactly why I know I love it. I am confident others will to!! MUST READ!!!!!!!

Collide
Collide by Gail McHugh (Paperback - January 22, 2013)
Used & New from: $2.54