4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Dictionary

Published 2 months ago by Happy customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Dictionary, December 30, 2010
Jake S (NYC and Ithaca, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e (Hardcover)
I've been studying French for many years now and finally come to realize that online dictionaries are lacking; they rarely give context and appropriate usage. This dictionary was well priced and well balanced between a pocket dictionary and full dictionary. My favorite part is that it gives a variety of examples of how the word is typically used, which provide good expressions for my French compositions. The only negative for me is the large size and weight, but this is a necessary trade-off to get such a quality dictionary.

3.0 out of 5 stars I have the Robert-Collins unabridged from 1981 and decided I ..., September 27, 2014
This review is from: Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e (Hardcover)
I have the Robert-Collins unabridged from 1981 and decided I needed a newer bilingual dictionary, since most e-devices hadn't been invented yet at that time! However, I didn't want to spend a fortune, so I got the College dictionary instead, and not the latest edition. However, I am finding that words which are frequent enough to be needed in teaching the 100 level cannot be found in the college edition, so I have to look somewords up twice. I'm wondering how they based their decision on what to abridge. This said, you just can't be Robert/Collins for accurate translation and examples of usage in American English / French.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brand New, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e (Hardcover)
I bought this "used" book, but when I received it, to my surprise, it was brand new! Good deal! I would definetely suggest this book too, because it was very helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, December 19, 2012
This review is from: Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e (Hardcover)
I use this dictionary all the time. It has very useful sections such as the writing a letter section and it has slang words in there, too so I know what they mean. Overall, I give it 5 stars for its usefulness, effectiveness, and size because it is not a huge dictionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great dictionary, January 15, 2012
Tracy (Central FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e (Hardcover)
This is the dictionary that was set by my French professor at college, and it was significantly cheaper here than at the college bookstore. The book is large and heavy, so it's perhaps not great for lugging around all the time, but it's still smaller than most of my textbooks. There's a nice section in the middle that goes through things like useful sentences, expressing opinions, expressing indifference, apologies, greetings, how to address an envelope properly, how to start and end personal or formal correspondence, how to format a CV, an email, or a business letter, types of phone calls, and also a French verb table. Then the book does it all again in French to English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 6, 2014
This review is from: Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e (Hardcover)
A great dictionary with up-to-date vocabulary for the digital age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 29, 2014
Good quality. Looks new.

Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e
Collins Robert French College Dictionary, 7e by Collins (Hardcover - August 19, 2008)
Used & New from: $9.99