5.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as everyone thinks
Published 13 months ago by Taintedsword

2.0 out of 5 stars Torn, but moving towards it sucks.
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Torn, but moving towards it sucks., February 13, 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Aliens Colonial Marines Collector's Edition -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Aliens Colonial Marines Collector's Edition This is difficult review for me. After seeing the videos leading up to the game release, I was really looking forward to this game. I was expecting Aliens with gameplay and graphics on the same level as Modern Warfare or Call of Duty. The reviews on the graphics are pretty accurate I'm not a graphics expert, but it looks like your playing on the original xbox. The aliens look 2 dimensional, it is almost as if you only get to see a front view or a side view of the alien. When the alien or the facehugger are in close, the graphics look improved. I like the story so far, I mainly play single player campaign and in most cases mindlessly shooting bad guys, but with all the hype about how this game was going to be part of the Alien canon, the story has to drive the game. So far the references to Aliens have me wanting to keep playing, but some of inane side quests take away from the game. I really was looking forward to this game, but the dated the look of the graphics is hard to get past. I will reserve full judgement until I finish the game and if it is a supreme disappointment, at least I have a cool statue, blueprints of the Sephora and Colonial Marines patches.

2/15 After reading some of the reviews and stories coming out about how this game was put together I am really disappointed. All the video coming out of Gearbox was about how much they loved the Alien franchise and how it would fix what happened in Alien3. To find out they farmed out the SP game to another company, is totally disingenuous on their party. Now Gearbox is poinitng the finger saying that it was someone else who screwed up the game and Sega is saying it is all Gearbox. This had the potential to be a great franchise game and sadly it will probably be the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as everyone thinks, October 4, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I don't normally leave a review but I feel it I must give this game some positive feedback. I ended up getting the collector's edition for $27.00 free shipping. The figure is nicely detailed as shown. I do wish it was Ripley in the loader but a marine is just fine. When I loaded the game up there was an update. I have been playing it for about 4 hours now and I must say I am pleased with the game. The problems people say with the AI, both team mates and bad guys/Aliens, I have yet to see. The two characters with me are firing their weapons like they should along with flanking at times. The enemy AI also does the same to me. There were a few times I did not see someone flank me only to be shot in the back. The game is very intense like the movies. Walking the halls with the tracking going off. Not knowing where I was going to be attacked from. The graphics do look like a first year xbox 360 game but what do you expect from this being in development for so long. It's not the worst or best looking game out the. I would give it a 7 out of 10 for looks. If you are a fan of the movies and you can get this game cheap I would pick it up. There is also DLC online one with tells the back story to a character from the movies. People who say there is no story are not picking up the audio logs laying around. There is a story you just need to find it. All in all I would rate this game 8 out of 10.

Update 10/7/13: I just completed the game and one DLC called stasis interupted. Anyone who has this game should play this DLC. Explains alot. My views on the game has not changed. With the update I had no problems playing this game. It took me 12 hours to be the campaign and 4 hours for the DLC. It was very fun to play. Action packed. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent if not great game, excellent collectors edition items and a great value at the current price, November 16, 2013
Audio (New England) - See all my reviews
At the current price, this is a STEAL. The game isn't nearly as bad as everyone says - it's no masterpiece, but it does the job. I was waiting for the Wii U version which ended up cancelled, so when this was under thirty bucks I had to grab it. The extras included are worth that alone. I do wish the statue had Ripley, but of course they didn't have likeness usage of Sigorney but it's still a great piece. The paper documents are neat as well (if ultimately pretty useless unless you do some framing if you really love the films) and the iron-on patch is quite cool. I'm thinking of putting it on a ball cap. The game itself is a fun shooter if you aren't looking for anything too deep - it's certainly not the "ultimate" Aliens game many of us who followed the seemingly endless development were waiting for (and this is definitely a bad mark on the history of the developer particularly since you can go read about how mismanaged the game was and how it was basically outsourced poorly) - but it's a neat game in the Aliens world and again, at this price, a total steal. If I had paid $100 when it first came out for this package, I am sure I would have felt differently.

2.0 out of 5 stars Game over man, game over!, February 14, 2013
After about 6 years in development, Aliens: Colonial Marines is a big disappointment, the graphics are terrible, the level design is dated, the animations, the voice acting, the story, it's all mediocre, at least the music and sound effects are true to the source material. For a game actually aproved by Fox as a sequel to Aliens, it under delivers big time, I would have rated this 1 star but I gotta say, there is some fun to be had in multiplayer, if only a taste of what could've been, now, we might never get the proper Alien/Aliens game we've all been waiting for.
If you're a big Aliens fan, you might be a little bit more forgiving with this title, so I would suggest you at least rent it, anybody else should definitely stay away from this wreck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away!, March 3, 2013
I am a huge fan of the Aliens series. I was incredibly excited when this was first announced. The game looked amazing and I couldn't wait to play it.

Within 20 minutes of playing the game something was just wrong. First off, having to look down and hit X to pick up ammo or weapons is incredibly awful design and very annoying.

Second, and this is where things really go down hill. The AI is just absurdly terrible. I have watched enemies walk right behind me and just stand there. They sometimes clump up and shoot in random directions or not at all. There is very little skill needed.

Graphics are far less then what was originally shown. There are also lots of graphical bugs, where aliens are under the floors or you can't shoot them.

There is also very major problems with save games. They become corrupt VERY easily. That is because they are using a non-standard method of saving. Rather then use Microsofts save game functionality, they are using a cloud save that is plagued with problems.

There are many stories as to why this happened, but at the end of the day I don't care. This is a misrepresented product and Sega should be ashamed for allowing it to be released. Yes, the game was very behind schedule but you should never release a substandard product when you promised so much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars I refuse to accept this as the canonical sequel to aliens the movie, February 16, 2013
Where to start on how bad this is, i guess i'll start with the story. there really isn't a story and what bits of a story there are, retcon aliens and alien 3. I'm not going to spoil it here since you can use wikipedia for that, but what I will say is that this game is less about aliens and more about weyland yutani mercs since you will spend about half the game fighting them call of duty style adding on top of that is the horrible AI, the aliens don't behave like aliens they behave like mindless beast people in that they never use there surroundings to their advantage all except 1 level, the raven level which feels like an aliens game. and they always run at the player and home in on the player only. I must add that in the future if you see a gearbox title do not pre-order it based on E3 demos as this games E3 gameplay demo was a lie and blatant false advertising. I don't have time to write a full review but what I will say is the multiplayer and the raven level do remind me of aliens but its not enough to save this game and unfortunately the retconns to the aliens storyline have destroyed the franchise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews are too harsh on this title. I enjoyed it., July 29, 2013
The reviews of this game are quite harsh. I agree the graphics could have been better, but the game play is solid. I picked up the CE of the game when it was on lighting deal for $25. At that price, I have NOTHING to complain about. The included swag and figurine are worth that price, plus I got the game to play as well.
I started playing with LOW expectations and did experience some flaws (aliens tails flopping around behind a closed door, watching the queen be on the opposite side of the map, then slide right on top of me in a matter of seconds on the final stage), but the overall experience was such that I didn't want to stop playing the game until I finished it.
If you can pick this puppy up for anything less than $35, it's a solid purchase. Keep your eyes peeled, you might get a better deal than what I got.

2.0 out of 5 stars I have been waiting for a great game but ..., February 18, 2013
I have been waiting for Colonial Marines from Gearbox since I saw it at PAX a couple years ago. I could not wait to pre-order the collector's edition of the game. I LOVE the statue but the game I am sorry to say is not very good. There are so many bugs in the game and it does not feel or look like the game I thought I was going to get.

I would suggest, if you want this game, wait tell it drops WAY in price other wise I would suggest skipping over this game.

3.0 out of 5 stars I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid, February 15, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I was pretty disappointed with this one after a bit of anticipation. The previews made it seem like we might finally be given a worthy Alien game and based on the fact Gearbox was taking it on gave me more hope after their recent successes with the Borderlands franchise... well I was wrong.

The graphics and game play were my main gripe, seemingly amateurish and outdated. The bullet detection made it really frustrating when battling enemies because there basically was none! In a normal FPS, when you shoot an enemy they give you some sort of reaction based on where you hit them, for example if you plug a guy in the knee cap they should fall down for a second and then continue fighting or at least do something to give you a sense that you hit them. In this game, you can unload a clip and have no clue if you've hurt a guy or not until they magically fall down dead. The entire time you are shooting at someone, they have the ability to shoot right back without flinching! And forget about long range combat, the scopes suck (blocking most of your vision) and the recoil and general breathing movement is way too much to make it even enjoyable to try. You'll wind up using the shotguns most the game, which is ok since you can't see the enemies until they are right up on you anyway. Why can't they make part of this game well lit? I understand having a few dark/suspenseful levels but don't make the entire game a black abyss! The best gun to choose from is the waist mounted "SmartGun", which has some nice auto aiming ability, but you are only able to use this a few times throughout the entire game!! And to rub it in even more, the AI marine that travels around with you the whole time is just firing away with infinite ammo with this thing, basically a slap in the face.

The story and cut scenes were ok, I didn't really mind that too much, but I feel bad for the big name actors that are forever linked with this. The sound effects were pretty well done as well, can't complain about that, but I went to play some good old fashion horde mode after my bad experience with the single player...guess what? NOPE! They didn't even include a survival style horde mode with this release. (It might be released as a add on that you'll need to pay more money for) This just added to how much I didn't like this game, this seems like the perfect style game for something like this and they just left it out, what a shame.

My advice would be to rent this if you're an Aliens fan, see what you think and go from there. I will be trying to sell my disc ASAP.

2.0 out of 5 stars So much wasted and under-developed, February 18, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time. The AvP games were always a flop and I had hoped this game would be the one to break that streak but I was wrong.

If your looking for the next big breakthrough in FPS, look elsewhere. I knew that going into this game so I was not disappointed like many other reviewers who thought this game would be revolutionary or unique. However, that being said, there are some distinct disadvantages in this game.

First, the graphics look old, I mean Doom 3 old so there are dated a few years. The voice acting is terrible and hearing the characters talk can be a challenge. I found myself missing half of the conversations the AI characters were having for the simple fact I had my back to them while fighting bugs. The AI movements are laggy or buggy. In that I mean the AI Marines often disappear and reappear in front of you because they got stuck or stopped moving and fell behind. More than once I had to restart from a checkpoint because I took cover in a corner and an AI Marine got in front of me and wouldn't move (You can't walk through them). The AI Alien movements are terrible as well. You can kind of see where the developer was trying but failed in that when some of the Aliens run towards you, they "weave" from side to side to avoid your fire but even this is predictable and clunky.

For multiplayer, so far I have counted 8 maps all told, that's kind of limited. When playing as the aliens, the movements seem clunky and lethargic in that the spitters' spit will often bounce off a railing even though your trying to shoot between rails and when playing as the lurker, your pounce will get thrown off even by the smallest of rocks. More than I can count, I have missed killing a Marine simply because my jump got "re-directed" over a small rock. By re-directed, I mean if you jump North and hit a rock, your jump suddenly turns NorthEast, etc. So movements and dynamics are off. That being said, multiplayer is still kind of fun but I don't see myself playing this game months from now. I'd rather forget about it and pretend it wasn't made.

***Spoiler Alert***

So if bad graphics, clunky movements, crappy story and bad acting aren't enough, there are a couple huge middle fingers to Aliens fans in the campaign.

First, a few of the legendary weapons you find you can use in multiplayer but not all. I have found all 6 but you can only use 4 in multiplayer, 5 if you count Ripleys custom weapon from the pre-order bonus. Why put only 4 and not all 6? Next, about 3 missions from the end, you are sent to rescue a captured Marine from the Sulaco. When I heard this, I quickly ran through the Marines from the movie but if you recall, they all die either on LV-426 or Fury-161 in Aliens 3. So I was kind of excited to find out who it was. Well it turns out it was CPL Hicks that you were rescueing. WTF??? He dies 13 weeks before the events of this game happen. In a cutscene, the AI Marines ask Hicks several times how he is alive but in their infinite wisdom, the developers failed to provide an answer. Hicks simply just doesn't answer the question. That was a HUGE middle finger to me. Finally, in the very last mission, you have to fight the queen. However, your told to stay out of sight while you ready a way to kill her but she always manages to know where you are. I ended up just having to stock up on armor and sprint to my objectives while she pummeled me. You can't slow her down or hurt her at all.

***Spoiler End***

All in all, I wasn't expecting much but the game failed to deliver on so many levels and had several big middle fingers for Aliens fans I just couldn't like it, not matter how big of an Aliens fan I am. The movie was amazing but this game is a sorry sequel to the movie.

Aliens Colonial Marines Collector's Edition -Xbox 360