5.0 out of 5 stars A First Class Resource for Anatomy Students
One of the first things that one realizes during anatomy lab is that the paintings in your textbook don't really reflect the reality of an embalmed corpse. Arteries are not conveniently painted bright red, nor are nerves colored a nice polite yellow.
Published on September 14, 2002 by Gerald J. Nora

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as described
The book itself is very helpful in determining the structures but the seller listed it as like new, and it is not in like new condition. The spine of the book is falling apart and there's a stain on the book. Also the book got delivered after 12 days of me buying it, where is the seller shipping from China? It came in the weekend before my test, which was a bummer because...
Published 11 months ago by Yesha

5.0 out of 5 stars A First Class Resource for Anatomy Students, September 14, 2002
The Color Atlas of Anatomy does a fantastic job of helping one translate the color drawings from the big anatomy textbooks into the lab by providing high-quality labelled photos of model dissections by expert anatomists. Think you have the hypogastric nerve in your abdomenal wall but aren't too sure what it's supposed to look like? My partner and I were in just that position and the Color Atlas helped us go from the idealized material of our lecture notes and Netter's Atlas to realities of our cadaver.
In addition to the photos, I found the schematic drawings to be a nice way to keep in mind the general organization of basic membranes and organs in the body, and the MR and X-Ray scans were useful as well in learning how to read radiograms and MRI images. This book does a great job of teaching you what anatomic specimens really look like, and help you appreciate the great beauty and elegance of the human body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anatomy Lab on the top of your desk; virtual home dissection, March 21, 2001
I am a medical student from Texas A&M USHSC COM and this is the most valuable book I have owned thus far. This masterpiece of photographic wizardry accurately depicts the in-depth dissection of the human body with extreme clarity. The best way to use this atlas is in conjunction with your anatomy text (like Moore) and along with a color illustrated atlas (like Netter). However, I also suggest that medical students use Rohen to graphically dissect, using their dissector (like Grant's) and class handouts, every night before lab. You will find that you are a master of the material and your in-lab dissection will be one of the best. This process yielded excellent results, including a 1/4 reduction in overall lab time. Anatomy is still one of the most important subjects. Even in the clinical years, those students with a unique grasp of this subject will surpass their peers. This book is a worthy investment for all medical students.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really liked it, but it's not indispensible, May 12, 2005
This review is from: Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body (Hardcover)
I bought this book to help me in a first year medical school gross anatomy course. While it's not where you want to start when learning anatomy, it's both helpful, as well as reassuring, to be able to see high quality full-color photographs of structures that you've only seen in textbook illustrations, or in a diagrammatic atlas. One good use of this book is for looking up structures that you're just not understanding, even though you may have seen a dozen illustrated renditions of them.

The two best uses that I found for this atlas were: 1. generating my own more-realistic/less-diagrammatic illustrations when studying, and 2. SELF-TESTING before a laboratory practical exam.

A problem with Rohen and Yokochi is that, because not all anatomical structures can be clearly photographed, it's not as comprehensive as Netter's Atlas is, and many a structure that you might wish to look up won't be in it, so keep a good textbook (I recommend Moore and Dailey's Clinically Oriented Anatomy) and an illustrated atlas around (most people like Netter's), as well. Also, it is quite possible to identify more structures than are labelled in many of the photographs in this book.

In summary, this book is a nice tool to have around, but if you're determined to cut costs, this is the study aid to skip in a gross anatomy course, and the last one to consult when learning new structures.

A warning: be careful about leaving it open where those who aren't anatomy students might see it. Many of the photographs are potentially disturbing to people who aren't prepared for what they're about to see. Especially the ones with the "forks-on-a-chain" dissection tools visible or the dissected urogenital areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Have" For Gross Anatomy Lecture & Lab, August 2, 2001
"michael_usa" (Milwaukee, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
THIS BOOK WILL HELP IMPROVE YOUR ANATOMY KNOWLEDGE & LAB SKILLS!! I highly recommend this book for any student (medical, dental, physical therapy, physician assistant, other) who is taking a gross anatomy class involving cadaver dissection. It has photographs sequencing dissection. Photographs are categorized by body part/region. This is very helpful when preparing & reviewing for lab dissection & exams. I recommend you use it with Netter's or Sobotta's (especially Sobotta's CD-ROM) Atlas of Human Anatomy (colored illustrations, not photographs)for additional illustrations & references. I believe you will find this book to be very useful. I certainly did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Photographic Atlas Available, October 26, 2004
This is the best photographic atlas available. When buying an anatomy atlas, you must keep two concepts in mind. While the pictures in this atlas are of real human specimens / disections, the structures you see are of only that one disected structure (for example, this is a heart in this man, but it may look slighly different if a different man's heart was photographed), but remember that humans have a certain degree of variability. Now, an atlas like Netters has drawings or illustrations, which are also good because they give you a picture not of one specimen, but rather a illustration which you can easily correlate to the real thing in the disection room (for example, illustrations are done to show all structures even though one person may have this variation and another may have something different or not at all, let's just say illustrated atlases are "one size fit's all" drawings). So I actually recommend anybody studying human anatomy have 1 photographic "real" atlas like this one, and 1 illustrated atlas like netters or gray's.

5.0 out of 5 stars One leg up on anatomy, March 13, 1999
By A Customer
Review of Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body Third Edition (Not part of review) This anatomy atlas is one of the best reference books I have purchased. The quality of dissections and photographs are unparalleled providing a practical contrast to the standard illustrative atlases. I continually use it as a reference source. There could be a greater emphasis on cross sections, but I believe this was addressed in the subsequent edition. Although not a required text, the majority of first year medical and anatomy graduate students own a copy and attribute much of their success during dissection and on examinations to this anatomy atlas. This book is comprehensive in the identification of anatomical structures and will provide useful discrimination in a traditional gross anatomy program where the teaching methodology employs a strong emphasis on dissection. I commend Rohen and Yokochi for their work and strongly recommend this anatomy atlas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Best Book for Anatomy, November 6, 2003
mh262 (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a medical student at the University of Michigan and in my experience this is the best atlas for anatomy. Many of the pictures are taken and arranged just like a typical anatomy dissection, which is perfect for pre-labbing and for studying for practicals. The labels are numbered, which make it ideal for self-quizzing, and the pointers aren't extremely long, which makes it easy to see what is being pointed at. (This is a problem with Netter's which has extremely long lines that are hard to follow.) I do not usually use textbooks (I rely mostly on class notes and online resources), but this atlas has been invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, September 27, 2005
46&2 (California) - See all my reviews
It seems like everyone gets Netter's, but the body just don't look like that. Rohen's has incredible dissections which are the closest to the anatomy lab you can get without that awful perservative smell. You could probably do very well in anatomy lab exams just using this, as the key to anatomy is finding the big structures and then determining the position of smaller stuff like nerves in relation to them. This book is thorough, shows multiple angles of the body, and even integrates some CT and X-ray images. Netter's is perhaps better in helping you chart the course of vessels and nerves, and I used it, but it's nothing like reality and hence not like this book. You can tell the makers are masters of anatomy and lovingly crafted this book. I sell a lot of my old med school texts; I loan other people my copy of Rohen, but I always get it back :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Two sided ..., March 24, 2006
My opinion about this book is a bit two sided and that's why:

I bought this one for my first year medical anatomy course and was a little mystified by it, at least at the beginning. I couldn't really understand what is going on in the corpse and as I looked into this book the sight was "cleaner" but similar. Naturally I put it away for a while and used Netter which was excellent.

A while after I became familiar with gross anatomical structures I opened it again, and only then I undestood what is going on inside, and only then I understood how great this book is!

Especially nice and logical where the drawings and explanations included.

Thus, my conclusion is that this book can be a great find for a student who has already taken the course, for a review or other purpose, but for a true beginner in this field it is almost the same as looking at the body.

In my opinion, to make an Atlas understandable for the beginner, it must NOT be real but must present the human body as seen through the eyes of the student. This job is perfectly done by Netter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner!, November 20, 1999
By A Customer
I am a medical student. Although I find actual cadavers more useful for review of anatomical structures, this volume is the next best thing for those who do not have access to 3-D dissections. It is also a great introduction to the human body for non-scientists. Whenever my friends and realatives visit me, Rohen inevitably comes off the shelf and people spend hours marvelling at the photographs of what's inside us all.

Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body
Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body by Elke Lütjen-Drecoll (Hardcover - March 15, 2002)
Used & New from: $25.23