5.0 out of 5 stars Best Atlas Available
Published on August 4, 2000 by Douglas Kovatch

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a the name says just an atlas
You need to know from other sources to understand the pictures.
Published on December 26, 2001 by Muzaffer Muctehitzade

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Atlas Available, August 4, 2000
I've done a lot of searching into histo atlases. This one has the best photographs of all I saw. They are untouched by artwork like other atlases. They are the real thing, which I think is important for future practice with the microscope. There are two problems with this atlas. First, although the photographs are organized quite logically, there is no boldface title above each one. It is annoying when you are browsing the book. I remedied this by writing in my own titles, but it would be SO much nicer. The second thing is there is no histological information contained with the photos. There are only small description boxes next to each. Unfortunately to my knowledge there is no such thing as a histology atlas that has high-yield histo information included. I think if the company who made this atlas adds high-yield info the resulting book would be used by every medical student in the country. What's ironic is there is so much white space in this atlas. It's as if the publisher intended to add in info boxes, but never got around to it. All we need are small bites of info like exists in the High-Yield series with the beautiful photos in this atlas.
If you are the publishers of this book, heed my advice and you'll make a fortune. Medical students like to have everything wrapped up in neat little packages instead of cross-references several sources. It makes studying so much easier.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a the name says just an atlas, December 26, 2001
You need to know from other sources to understand the pictures.
Quality of the paper and pictures are good but unfortunately there is hardly any explanation what they are, what the functions are. It is not just because they run out of space, one side of the page is generally empty. I guess it is the concept that needs to be changed. Yes pictures are worth tousands of words but it would be much nices with some talk.Book is divided into systems. Book is also missing a short introduction that could have been very helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, July 1, 2010
This review is from: Color Atlas of Basic Histology (LANGE Basic Science) (Spiral-bound)
I needed to be able to identify slides of the different tissues, and be able to label the different components of it. This atlas has been of great help. It does not have much on text or background on the tissues, but it does have tons of pictures to train your microscope eyes. Have not come across the issue of not finding a picture of the tissue I am currently studying. Also, labels the different components of the tissues, not just the layers. I was very pleased with this.
As a side note this book just shows normal tissue, not pathology.
The only thing I did not like about it was the binding. For a $60 book, I would think they could afford a better plastic coiling binding. As it stands now, I have to continuously readjust the binding to make sure it holds all the pages. Planning on taking it to a print shop to get a better binding.
A suggestion to the manufacturer would be to place this in a binder of some sort, so that student can just take the pictures they need with them, rather carrying around the whole book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for histology lab, January 12, 2014
H. Culbertson (Cedar Falls, Iowa) - See all my reviews
This book really helped me with my graduate school histology lab, although the stains are not always the same, so be careful while studying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, December 22, 2013
I am getting ready for the NACP exam in histology and this book is helping a lot with tissue recognition. The photos appear as they would when viewed with a microscope, and there is information explaining the slide and any important characteristic. Worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful study tool, March 8, 2006
L. Chapin (Luther College) - See all my reviews
My professor had recommended this text, though did not require it for her histo class. I found it extremely helpful in studying for lab exams outside of class, but it wasn't very helpful in learning about cell types that we hadn't discussed in lecture first. An overall helpful study tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent atlas., April 7, 2004
Yadira E Acevedo (Rocky Hill, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I found the color atlas to be extremely helpful. The images are very clear and structures are labeled. It's a useful guide for medical students new to histology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Atlas, May 15, 2004
By A Customer
I'm a med student and found this atlas to be a great source for studying for the my class exams. The pictures are great and it makes the facts easier to learn. Squamous cell epithelium never looked so good. I also used the following:
Histology Study Guide: Key Review Questions and Answers by Patrick Leonardi
This study guide helped me with test preparation because it showed me what to focus on and the type of questions that were asked on my tests. I highly recommend both books.

Color Atlas of Basic Histology (LANGE Basic Science)
Color Atlas of Basic Histology (LANGE Basic Science) by Irwin Berman (Spiral-bound - January 13, 2003)
Used & New from: $5.88