VINE VOICEon June 4, 2010
Coming on the heels of Picross 3D, Color Cross provides 2D puzzles in the manner the cover of Picross 3D leads you to believe it is played. Here, you get the pictures developing in a variety of colors as you solve the puzzle.

Therein lies one of the problems, though. It is impossible to tell the difference in some of the colors. Some puzzles use multiple shades of the same color that blend together even when next to one another. This is very irritating.

Are there some good features? Yes - there is no speed requirement to play all the puzzles! The puzzles are fun and the color gives it a different take when compared with Picross DS. It will teach (Sssh! Don't tell anyone!) logical thinking. The way the puzzles are solved, though, you will find yourself making assumptions about the symmetry that is prevalent in way too many of the puzzles.

The puzzles are separated into ten themes, with fifteen puzzles in each. As you solve the puzzles you get to see a piece of a larger jigsaw (with squares) puzzle. The picture thus revealed is not the jigsaw piece, it's just the same theme.

When you complete each row or column of the puzzle, the game has a pop up graphic covering that row or column, thus stopping the play. There is absolutely no reason in the world for this feature. All it does is interrupt your thought process as you are working the puzzle. You should be able to turn this off - but you can't.

And, there are only one hundred and fifty puzzles. Way too few considering how very, very easy many of them are (less than 20 seconds for some). For players new to this type of puzzle, the tutorial and manual are sorely lacking.

Though you can re-size the grid, it is very, very easy for the stylus to hit a line thus trying to mark more than one box at a time; and I played this on a DSi XL.

In comparing the three of this type of game to hit the DS market, this comes in third; mainly because there are too few puzzles and they're too easy. (I've played about 5 hours and I've solved half of the puzzles without a lot of challenge.) This is fun for what it includes, but it will have little to no replay value.

After all the negatives, why did I give it four stars? It is playable, and it is enjoyable. It can be played at your own speed. You can play all of the games without meeting unreasonable challenges. So, it's worth that rating.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 6, 2010
The concept is great.. I couldn't wait to get, but when I received, I was most disappointed.
After playing Picross DS, I guess I was spoilt by the manner in which you can maneuver your way around the puzzle. Having to click so many times between the functionalities, and with there being so boxes/grid being so tiny, just makes the game frustrating, as you get penalized for hitting the wrong square. Color Cross should have taken a hint off of their functionality and improved or even kept it the same!
Colors are too close in hue, and make it hard to tell certain colors apart. Great idea, but geez is this frustrating!!
on June 15, 2010
Color Cross - the puzzles are very repetitive. AND, as you progress through different levels, hard to see numbers on side to determine which boxes to color in. And, if you move the puzzle to the side, to see numbers, and you cover up the paint brush application and you are stuck on just the move button. You then have to turn off the unite and turn back on. Puzzle is now lost.
Also, it takes time to solve a puzzle. When you shut down, it won't save the puzzle. You have to start all over again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2010
I love picross-style puzzles, by whatever name (hanjie, nomograms, griddlers, etc). So I expected to love Color Cross, but I ran into the same problems others here have mentioned--small squares as the grids get larger and colors that are difficult to tell apart.

The "small squares" issue can be somewhat alleviated by using the R & L buttons as necessary to re-size the grid. Press repeatedly to change the grid size incrementally. Changing the grid size does make it tougher to see the number clues if you are working at the lower or right edge of the grid (although tapping in the grid pops up the clues for you), but making the squares larger does help with the inadvertent coloring in of adjacent squares that happens when the squares are too tiny.

The similar colors issue can sometimes (but not always--depends on the color) be helped by changing the background color. Press the A button to change from the yellow to blue background and back again. This helps if the colors you are working with blend into the background otherwise. It won't really help with distinguishing a dark brown from black, however.

The complaint I've seen here, and that I had myself, about Color Cross not saving the puzzle turns out to be wrong. And that was excellent news for me! I hated that I couldn't save the puzzle when they got to be more difficult and took longer to do. To "Save" simply choose to "Quit" rather than just shutting off your DS. Then the puzzle IS saved. Then when you restart, select your profile, in the next screen you are given the option to start a New puzzle or to Resume. "Resume" brings back the puzzle you were working on when you "Quit".

Get to "Quit" by pressing the "Start" button on your DS while working a puzzle.

If you simply power off your DS in mid-puzzle, your progress will not be saved. You have to choose the Quit option by pressing the Start button on the DS. Then you get the "Are you sure you want to quit?" screen. Select "Yes" to save your game in mid-puzzle.

Each profile seems to have 1 save ("Quit", "Resume") slot. So if you should want to start, then save, more than 1 puzzle, just create a new profile after you have used the save slot in your first profile. There are 4 profile slots available, so you could have 4 puzzles in progress at a time.

I give the game 4 stars rather than the 5 I'd hoped for because the difficult to distinguish hues can be problematic.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Unfortunately, I picked this up after I had been playing PicCross 3D. The problem with this one is that the boxes are so tiny, I keep hitting ones I don't want and getting penalized with time. I've used the zoom feature but then you don't get the whole picture of which rows/columns are still open for colors and unless you are at the top of the screen, you don't see the top number boxes.

I played for awhile, put it away and picked it up again today. I then realized again why I hadn't played it in awhile. It is very frustrating! I really don't care about the time element but I have to keep trying to get the right box, and inevitably, on the more complex puzzles, it thinks I've hit the box above, below or whatever.

I love PicCross 3D, I hate this version. I can see it working on a computer screen so that you can see everything all at once and have more control with your mouse but on the DS, it's horrible.
on May 9, 2012
I enjoy puzzles like nonograms ("paint-by-number" puzzles) over, say, crosswords because finishing the puzzle gives a little bonus in the form of a picture. While I had some complaints about the original Picross, I figured I'd give Color Cross a try since it was on clearance at the store.

I normally mention in my reviews if a puzzle is friendly to people who are colourblind in my reviews. To say that this game is NOT is obvious, but even more than that, it's not even that friendly to people with perfect vision. While I appreciate the greying out of numbers in rows/columns that have been solved correctly as a quick reference, the greying out is absolutely undetectable when solving for grey blocks. For that matter, many of the puzzles use at least three different shades of, say, green that are impossible to tell apart, especially when the two different shades are separated by any amount of space, and most of the puzzles seemed to have been designed with artistic merit in mind vs. can it be solved without cheating (since filling a space with the wrong colour is technically getting a hint).

That said, it really isn't difficult at all to solve all of the puzzles, because all you would really need to do is mark all the colours at random. It may take a little longer in some cases, due to the time penalty delay when marking a solid colour where there isn't one, but it's doable. There really isn't a significant downside to doing this except when trying to solve the puzzle honestly or when doing a time attack, which is where I've taken off the most points. Making a stray mark is so easy to do on the DS, and accidentally marking a filled colour somewhere unintended is an unwanted hint. I would really have liked to play the game with no penalty for filling in an incorrect space vs. the time penalty arrangement, as there is certainly at least one puzzle I absolutely cannot solve without some way of being able to mark "possible" spaces, vs. "filled" or "not filled" (X-ed out). Or just filling in spaces willy-nilly.

On the whole, I think it's a good idea, poor execution. Like crosswords, it's pretty disposable entertainment, with the only replay value being if you put it on the shelf and completely forget about it for a year before playing again. If squinting at a tiny grid and spending an hour trying to decide if a block you marked is green or slightly darker green isn't your idea of a good time, I'd say it's not even worth getting clearanced.
on July 12, 2010
I have the iphone app of this game and when I saw it for the DS I was excited because I thought it would be better than the iphone app... I was sort of right.

First off they are almost the exact same puzzles we have found one not the same puzzle so far and we are half way through game on the DS and the Iphone but that's out of 60 or so puzzles. Also the music is the same.

There is good and bad to both but I will point out the differences...

pros
I have a DS LX so it's easier to see the puzzle on the bigger screen.
Using the stylist is easier than using your finger (for the iphone) and less likely to make mistakes
It's easier to pick between colors you want to work on compared to the iphone version.

cons
can't change background color, if the background is yellow and you are working on the yellow blocks this could be frustrating! On the iphone you can change background color, I don't know why they didn't let you here.

Note - you can save an unfinished puzzle - you just hit quit and when you start the game again, there will now be an option on the opening screen to continue your saved game, we found that out the hard way thinking we would lose a game we worked hard on and was very relieved we saw it on the opening screen because in the iphone version you can save so we thought that should be the same case here and lucky it was true.

I don't know what other reviewers are talking about but some of the puzzles get extremely hard. There are levels and each level has 15 puzzles, it's always the case the top roll is super easy, the middle roll is medium and the bottom roll is super hard, I'm pretty good at these types of games and I'm stuck at some of the bottom roll puzzles.

Even though this had its problems I really enjoyed the concept of this game, and hope by supporting it they will come out with a more polished second one. So I encourage you to get this game if you this sort of game.

That being said Picross DS was a lot better in a lot of respects compared this game, if you don't have that game you might consider getting that one first.
on December 12, 2010
Maybe it's my equipment (Nintendo DS lite) even though I calibrated it before playing, but I find this game too sensitive even when using the zoom feature. I often touch the screen to choose a cell and it chooses the the cell to the right (I'm right handed) causing the game to think I made a mistake and giving me a time penalty. I even started using the point of a micro sized mechanical pencil, thinking that the tip of the stylus maybe too big, but it's only help about 50%. I've done this with my other "picross" like games and have had immediate improvement. I think this game would be much more player friendly if they changed the orientation from landscape to portrait and if the number clues were on the bottom and right as well as the top and left especially during zooming. Of all the picross like games I've played I must say this is the worst.
on June 19, 2010
I liked this game a lot. the puzzles are easy to somewhat challenging to solve. but that is OK with me. I like to relax with puzzle games and don't feel the great need to be so challenged that it becomes frustrating. It a satisfactory solve. I do agree that some of the colors are hard to differentiate and they are too few puzzles. there are 150 puzzles, which in this day of games offering 1000's of puzzles, is definitely a negative. But i would buy it again as I love this sort of puzzle (actually I love all puzzle games and own most all of them). It is somewhat easier than Picross 3-D which I also love. If you like picross/mosaic type games or puzzle games that you can just sit back and do without straining your brain too much, this is for you. (would have given it 5 stars if there were more puzzles and some of the colors were better.)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This game is a combination of Picross and Challenge Me. It is as hard as Challenge Me, but about one-fifth of the puzzles to do. It is arranged like Picross in that you have groups of puzzles under a subject matter. The puzzles range from ten by ten to bigger to the biggest one at 25 by 20 puzzles. Each time you solve a puzzle it exposes a piece of the subject puzzle. It is like Picross in that it punishes you when you select the wrong cell as fulled. You collect time punishments and can see the puzzle picture wholly even though you went over an hour to do it. If you really love a challenging puzzle to do and don't want to waste your time, get this game. There is only one drawback to the game and that is if you don't pace your playing you will play all the games too fast and be done.