Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on August 26, 2012
I had bought the single landscape book and was glad the publisher decided to combine all the books. What a savings! Since I do oils, now I can use this book for water color and acrylics if I choose. It's a great reference for portrait painting (detailing facial highlighting and skin tones) as well as still life, land and seascapes. This book has very detailed recipes for color mixtures and 2 re-usable grid pages to measure the paint need for each recipe. There's no guess work, it's been done for you. It has cut my mixing and guessing to 1/2 the time and I don't waste paint. I ordered two, one for myself and one for my instructor.
on February 3, 2013
As a life-long black and white photographer just now getting into drawing and painting--color for art is an intimidating hurdle, like a new language.

This book has relieved me of those fears. It is great as a reference I'm sure, and certainly that is what most will probably use it for. But for this beginner it has been pure joy to look at the colors and see what has gone into making them. It has removed the mystery and paranoia of putting colors together. It is enjoyable to just flip through the pages. It is well-organized, very well presented, a definite work of quality.

I don't know if this is "the" book for experienced painters, as I'm so new to this. But I can heartily recommend it to the beginners like myself who are just discovering the wonders of color, but need help in the process of making color work. Thanks to the author for this book! And it seems to be printed very well, too.
on August 12, 2013
Art is an ambivalent subject from its creation to its appreciation. Still, every fine artist needs to understand the basics of their medium and the first section of 1500 Color Mixing Recipes…covers just that for the artist who uses paint, whether oil, acrylic or water. I sculpt more than paint; however, I use color in almost everything I do and this book is a fantastic find. The author and publisher understand the circumstances under which the artist works and have designed the book so that it can lie open while you work because of its spiral binding and stain-resistant, high-gloss card stock. (Like a good cook book that won’t be soiled when used on the counter.) The book is divided into several sections for each group of colors they assume the artist might need, e.g. landscaping, and portraits but this is only an aid and you might find the colors in one group could be just the colors you want in another so the convenience is not restrictive. It begins with the basics of color theory with illustrations. Finally, the book provides “recipes” for each of the 1,500 colors, specifying the exact artist colors and amounts needed for a certain result. And it includes a plastic grid for you to keep track of your own formulas. Obviously, the recipes can only be an approximation since, for example, burnt sienna will vary depending on the manufacturer and quality. Still, having 1,500 color swatches to look at is a gold mine. It’s a college course in a book at a great price and should be a companion piece to 101 Textures in Oil & Acrylic which I’ve also reviewed.
on December 17, 2013
After using this book a lot and trying out the recipes, I have come back here to change my review. Many of the recipes do not give you the color the book illustrates you should get. It is severely flawed. I don't know if the recipes are wrong, or if the color printed is a bad print. But, the colors are WAY off, especially the greens and the darker colors in the oil paint section. It is also missing some very basic oil paint colors for mixing. I would return it if I could.
on June 29, 2014
The book gives you a general idea of how to mix a color, particularly if you are a beginner. The book is difficult because they use oil paint names and if you are an acrylic painter you have to do a conversion to the nearest acrylic name. The paints do not come out of the tubes as assumed by the book (in their photos) so it is not that easy to get the right quantities. The book is probably helpful for someone starting out but may leave something to be desired for the more experienced artist.
on February 2, 2015
I first bought the color mixing recipes for portraits and landscapes. So this incorporates those two but has a great deal more. I do not use it as a recipe book with measured out paint as suggested, but rather coming up with the color I am thinking of. Somtimes we get into a rut using the same ole color. This book has helped me learn the mixing color for a little more life in my paintings and I believe my paintings have improved because of it.
on July 29, 2015
I like this book very much. I see some people posted that the recipes are not correct, but in my opinion, they get me close enough. My goal is to be able to know what to mix to get the right color, without having to always look it up. The layout of the book is very good and I especially like the beginning references. I've been painting my whole life (and I'm pretty old), and I never knew mixing the primary colors with their complement would make gray!
on March 30, 2013
I tried three recipes so far and the resulting color mix did not match the colors in the book at all. They were way off. One case called for 5 units of one color and 2 units of another and 9 units of white. It matched better with no white and much more than the 2 units of the second color called for in the recipe.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2015
Once I looked this book over, I found that all the colors were grouped as a matter of the author's preference. Such as, landscape colors for one. You couldn't look up 'wood' or copper' per say in the index. you have to look through the whole book and 'try' to find the color you want. This is really a bummer. It's all a matter of the Author's personal preference, and it's categorized his way. I don't like the book.
on June 23, 2015
The portrait part of the color book is actually extremely well organized for every skin tone and with lot of examples for eyes, hair, even ears and mouth shading. The landscape part of the book is in comparison very plain, with only few examples and sometimes dubious organization, just pick your color from pages and pages of color swatches.. which brings us to the caveat - unlike the portrait section that goes by the values, we all just need to hope that the recipes in the rest of the book are accurate and the result color accurately printed (which I have some little doubts due to normal offset printing method), because otherwise a swatches of thousands half-organized, sometimes random colors will be worthless if they end up different after mixing than printed.
This book is an excellent value for what it sells on amazon also the spiral binding adds to its value. The portrait section is probably the best organized I ever seen.