Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on November 8, 2010
This book is amazing! Love the concept, there are tons of pictures and I actually am excited to try every recipe. Most cookbooks I own I try some of the recipes but not all. Every recipe in this book looks delicious, doesn't have crazy health food store ingredients and isn't just another book trying to mimic meat dishes. Colleen actually showcases the vegetables and lets them shine. I've been vegan for a long time and I have a bookshelf full of vegan cookbooks so I know what I'm talking about. I've already tried the beet burgers (which passed the meat eating friends test) and the blueberry ketchup and I'm completely sold that everything in here is going to be fabulous. I've already ordered three more copies for Xmas presents. For a good collection of books I recommend Color Me Vegan, The Vegan Table, Viva Vegan, Vegan a go go and vegan cupcakes take over the world.
on November 3, 2010
I received my copy of "Color me vegan" in the mail yesterday and I couldn't wait to start cooking. I think I read every single recipe and I was excited to see that they were original and covered a very wide range of produce. I was wondering how Colleen was going to manage writing recipes for starters, soups, main courses, side dishes and desserts of every color. Well, she did. From then creamy avocado mousse (delicious green recipe) to the red chard pie (red recipe, of course) , this book is chock full of tips, nutritional information, variations, and even some food history.

I like the fact that you don't have to constraint yourself to the ingredients listed in the recipe. The book packs some much information that you can make your own choices about how you would like your recipe to look and taste like. I recommend that you read the entire recipe, as well as the notes on the top and bottom before you start cooking.The book itself is very easy to read, it has clear instructions and doesn't call for too many ingredients like other books do. The ingredients are easy to find if they aren't in your pantry already. There isn't a picture for every single recipe, but the pictures in the book are really beautiful. They make you want to cook.

If you are new to veganism, this is a good way to start cooking new food. After testing some of this recipes, you will realize that vegan food is not "rabbit food" or bland food. Rather, it is healthful and delicious.Last night I made a pie, a dessert and a vegan cheese. Everything was yummy!
on January 3, 2011
I have to say, this book is not as great as I was hoping. People seem very enthusiastic with their reviews, but I haven't been all that thrilled with the recipes I've tried. The concept is cool, and it is a beautiful book. Plus, I do agree that instead of trying to make things that emulate meat, she lets the vegetables, beans, tofu, etc, shine on their own. But all of the recipes I've tried have needed serious adjustments. It seems like these recipes weren't tested enough. For instance, I made one of the salads, which I was really excited about, and the dressing was just not nearly enough, nor were some of the ingredients- the salad was unbalanced. Seems like a salad should be easy enough to get right, but it missed the mark.

Anyways, this book is good for inspiration and ideas, but I don't trust the recipes. Luckily, I like to sort of make my own hybrid versions of recipes (after I follow the recipe exactly, first) , so I will still definitely use this book.

Oh, also, the index is terrible, and there are mistakes.

Bottom line- the book needs more editing and testing, imo.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2010
I bought it last weekend at Borders, made four recipes: Cajun Red Beans and Rice, Tamale Pie, the pea-guacamole and the banana/date dessert, especially frozen. The Cajun dish was fantastic; it tasted very authentic. I really liked the frozen banana dessert too. The Tamale pie was okay but a little on the dull side. It also asked for lemon juice in the listed ingredients but didn't specify where to use it in the directions. I didn't enjoy the pea-guacamole that much; I found one I liked better in Vegan on the Cheap. On the whole, the recipes look really good and the factoids she includes about the nutrients make for interesting reading. I think her spicing is more on the conservative side, but then again, it might just be my palate because I prefer bolder flavors.
on January 29, 2011
Great cookbook. Only a month ago, I was an omnivore buying vegetarian cookbooks and magazines to add more vegetables to my diet. Then I decided to do a vegan experiment- could I adopt a vegan diet for a month? I bought this cookbook to help me through the experiment - I wanted to cook vegan food, not just vegan adaptations of my omnivore diet. This book has exceeded my expectations and introduced me to great recipes -I have loved everything I have made from this cookbook and appreciate that the author includes nutritional information. This has really helped me make my diet healthier. I went through the book and tucked in little bookmarks for the recipes I want to try - the book is filled with them. I love the swiss chard curry with the coconut rice and have made this a couple of times now. I haven't tried anything I wouldn't be happy to try again. Other vegan cookbooks have delicious recipes too (Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook but what I particularly appreciated about Color me Vegan is that the author has included delicious recipes with the calorie count. Colleen Patrick-Goudreau has convinced me it is possible to eat delicious and healthy food. And armed with great recipes from this cookbook, I think I can eat a vegan diet - and if you're thinking about becoming a vegan or looking for healthy recipes as a vegan, I think this book will help. I also think this book will help if you're just looking for delicious ways to increase the whole foods in your diet.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2010
I was thrilled when I received my copy of Color Me Vegan in the mail the other day. It's even better than I anticipated. It's hard to call this a cookbook because it is so much more than that.

Until now, the only way I knew how to cook my veggies was to steam them, bake them or saute them. I had no idea how to season appropriately and how to incorporate them into more than just 2 or 3 meals. This book contains a bazillion ways to do so.

This book is SO much more than recipes - It is a wealth of information for anyone that EATS. It is not just for VEGANS! If you want to increase your vitamin and mineral intake and increase phytochemicals and phytonutrients in your diet you need this book. It explains what each vegetable and fruit contains based on its color. You will never look at a tomato or eggplant the same again.

Thank you, Colleen! This book is my go-to and I may have to send it to my entire family! I think I know what everyone's getting for the holidays.
on February 3, 2011
When I first looked through the recipes in Color Me Vegan, I kept surprising myself with thinking, "I can make this tomorrow, with what I've already got in the kitchen!" It's no longer a surprise. Yet the recipes are so interesting. The author makes magic out of the commonest ingredients. There's always a twist. At the most, I might need to pick up some blueberries or purple potatoes, but it's rare that a recipe calls for something that I don't usually have on hand. The most exotic thing I've found in her recipes is truffle oil, which, living in Arkansas, I haven't yet located. But the recipes don't seem to suffer for a little substitution. The author helps by pointing out what ingredients can be substituted out, and she'll suggest good substitutes. The recipes are very easy to tinker with in this way. She also includes cooking tips related to her recipes, like how to cut onions without crying.

So far, every single recipe has been a hit. Most recently, we made the black bean hummus (extremely easy and quick) for a meeting. Two of our three attendees asked for the recipe. The beet burgers are so easy to make, and hard to stop eating. With the blueberry ketchup? Impossible! We rely on running out to save ourselves from popping.

Colleen Patrick Goudreau has included many recipes that look and taste like 5-star restaurant fare, but that are completely within the average and even beginning learner's reach. Like the stuffed artichokes or the stuffed figs. I never really imagined I could do recipes at this level. Going out to eat isn't what it used to be, with meals and desserts like this at home.

I do a LOT of cooking. I have a mini-library of cookbooks, and frequently scan the horizon for new recipes online, and I can say emphatically that this is the best cookbook around - vegan or not. Now I take Color Me Vegan, heavily Post-It stickered, with me every time I go shopping.
on July 10, 2013
Since I love Colleen's previous books so much I was super excited to receive "Color Me Vegan" as a Christmas gift the year it came out. I love the concept and the idea of it. A lot of people complain about the layout being difficult or useless but I quite like the creativity of it, and as a person who is always interested in knowing the chemical makeup of food - including phytonutrient content, and antioxidant profile - I appreciate the time and effort that Colleen put into providing this kind of information. As for it being difficult to find a recipe it's not as if the book is 1000 pages long, it doesn't take more then 30 seconds to flip through and find what you were looking for. The photographs in this book are stunning and my only complaint is that there aren't more of them.

As I've stated in previous reviews taste is really a matter of opinion and flavor is so subjective. I never fault a book or an author if he or she uses too little garlic for my palate or not enough salt, and I typically adjust all recipes to suit my own taste. I'll admit I haven't had the time to cook as much from this book as I would have liked but many of the pages in my copy are earmarked for future cooking. Of the recipes I've made, here is what I thought.

Apricot Red Lentil Stew - Pretty good - personally there is a very similar soup in Isa's "Appetite for Reduction" that I like a little bit better, but this is a very good variation and my husband actually preferred this version over Isa's.
Apple Cranberry and Sausage Stuffing - LOVED IT - this is a `go to' holiday recipe for me.
Quick Curried Swiss Chard - LOVED IT
Seared Tempeh with cherry balsamic reduction sauce - LOVED IT
Cajun Red Beans and Rice - Pretty good but I think it would have been better with vegetable broth and Earth Balance instead of il.
Butternut Squash, Orange and Ginger Soup - This was okay, but I'm not a fan of pureed soups. My husband loved it though.
Peanut Pumpkin Soup - This was not to my taste, I think I'm not a fan of the peanut pumpkin combination because thus far I have never had a peanut pumpkin soup that I've liked. My husband enjoyed it though.
Carrot Puree - Loved it
Carrot Fries - LOVED it
Saffron Rice with Curried Apricot Dressing - Pretty good
Sweet Potato Tacos - LOVED IT - a `go-to'
Persimmon Tea Cake - pretty good
Cashew Cheese - LOVED IT
Yellow Split Pea Soup with Collard Greens and Yams - LOVED IT
Walnut Basil Pesto - LOVED IT
Three Greens Ribollita Soup - LOVED IT
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Pecans - LOVED IT and my husband loved it too even though he hates B sprouts.
Irish Mashed Potatoes with Kale - LOVED IT
Green Tea and Pistachio Cupcakes - These were just okay
Kiwi Banana Muffins - Really interesting combination. I quite liked it, my husband loved it
Purple Cabbage Salad - Pretty good
Blackberry Breakfast Bars - LOVED IT
Quinoa Blue Cornbread - LOVED IT
White Bean and Artichoke Salad - LOVED IT
Coconut Rice - LOVED IT
Cashew and Red Lentil Burgers - LOVED It a `go-to' recipe and one I make for omni's often.
Coconut Tapioca Pudding - Loved it
Asparagus and Carrots with Walnut Dressing - Loved it
Wild Rice and Broccoli - Loved it
Farro and Fresh Vegetable Medley - LOVED IT
Muffuletta Sandwich - LOVED IT

So you can see I've made many of the recipes from this book with great success. This is a book I continue to use and love, and would buy it for any omni friend or family member who was interested in vegan cooking.
on June 16, 2011
I've dogeared almost every page. I've tried about 6 recipes so far and while they take as long as the average whole foods home cooked meal to make, they were very simple and flavorful.
I usually modify a recipe to my taste even the first time I make it but after reading some of the less positive reviews that said these recipes were bland I thought I should see if that were true. It is not true in my opinion. I was surprised, even the recipes that sounded bland came out so great that even my boyfriend raved. He has the palate of a six year old, very hard to please.
We both love super flavorful foods like Indian and Greek so it's not as though we like it bland. I love the food lore notes and the tips throughout.

My only complaints are based on my personality not really the book itself. I'd like more pictures of the dishes, I'm a visual person and seeing the final dish as it's supposed to look helps. I've only seen one editing error. The Hot Tamale Pie recipe calls for Lemon juice but it never tells you when/where to add it. I guessed and it still came out great.

If you want to eat a more balanced whole foods diet and you want to get healthy but are deterred by the word "vegan" don't be scared, Colleen does include the ethical stuff but she doesn't punch you in the face with it.

There are no wierd ingredients other than a few tempeh recipes and tempeh is much easier to come by now, anyhow, just substitute tofu or even a meaty portobello mushroom...

An excellent buy, I highly reccomend it to new vegans, ancient vegans, omnis and everyone who wants more interesting veggies on their plates.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Ok, Thanks Colleen for making well known recipes with wonderful new ingredient
combinations that i have never seen or used before! Love the mushroom barley soup
and even though I took out the oil (McDougall healthy), it was just great! The tomato
paste did it! And love your using arame in the cucumber salad. I always wanted to know
how to use that sea vegetable. Love the combo of potatoes and eggplant. I do not know
how you come up with such a variety of excellent recipes! Thanks so much for your
compassionate and so tasty work! You are the BEST!
Linda Middlesworth