Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Flavor: Japapeno PowderSize: 24 OunceChange

on October 25, 2009
This spice is delicious and the size of the container makes it a great deal. Mix 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon or more of salt in a bowl. Sift the mixture after mixing onto a plate. Coat pork chops or chicken breasts with the mixture, by just laying the meat on the plate and flipping over. Grill the meat on both sides until cooked. Delicious.
on September 24, 2012
This review is after my second 32 ounce container of Ground Ancho Chili Pepper. I LOVE this product and the Colorado Spice Company, and props to Amazon for having it too! I use the Ancho Chili Pepper for dry rubs, marinades, sauces - add a teaspoon or so to some Mayo (1/4 cup) and Pesto (1-2 tablespoons) for anything from potatoes to salmon - AMAZING!! When I purchased the first container I thought to myself that I would die with it 1/2 full, but no way. I add it to many soups, stews, and it's a must for chili. I shared some with a couple of friends (refilled old empty spice jars and put on a new label). I no longer purchase standard chili powder, I use CSC Ancho and Smoked Paprika instead. I highly recommend their spices. The quality is amazing, the value is excellent, and it keeps well. I opened my second container before my first was completely empty and compared the aroma of my four year old container and there was no difference. It was kept in a cool, dark pantry in it's original container and it did not lose any of its flavor. I have tried and highly recommend Colorado Spice Company's Ancho Chili Pepper, Smoked Paprika, and the Tomato Powder. I'm sure they are all amazing, but those are the only products I have tried thus far.
on June 6, 2009
4 stars because the product description is terrible:

-it's powdered, green, jalapeno peppers
-it's 16oz (1 lb) not 24oz
-it's one unit, not six

However, it's worth it. The price/oz is still great, compared to the 2oz crushed jalapeno spice jars you can buy at the supermarket.

The flavor, however, is outstanding--if you want that "jalapeno" flavor, this is what you're looking for.

Also, it's up there on the scoville units (for jalapenos). Not that it's fiery hot, but hotter than what you expect from a j-pepper.
44 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2013
This Colorado Brand ancho chili powder was wonderfully rich and smelled delicious. Upon using I noticed that it was tremendously flavorful. I would like to thank all the other reviewers that sold me on this product.

Ancho provides a full bodied chili flavor and is good for multiple dishes. Anything you use paprika on, I recommend substituting this mild ground chili. I thought I would only use this for quick enchilada sauces, and quick chili but, I've used this far more often than planned. Mostly, I add a significant amount to rubs for chicken, beef, and pork and everything has tasted delicious, whether it came from the oven or smoker.

You can also use this to create your own chili powder that tastes much better than any premixed chili powder you can get from the store. Just 1 Tbsp of: Ancho, Ground Chipotle, Paprika and 1 tsp of: Cumin, Garlic Powder, and 1/2 tsp of cayenne, and 1/4 tsp of granulated onion and coriander. The chipotle lends a nice smoky goodness. Feel free to add more cumin if you like (It's pretty strong), and omit the cayene and reduce the chipotle to reduce the spiciness.
on August 6, 2012
I ordered this for my pork adovada recipe. This was way too spicy and tasted ... I don't know how to describe it.... metallic or chemically. I threw a $30 pot of chili pork away along with the two containers of "new mexico" ground chili powder. The risk of trying a different brand cost me $50! Would not order this brand again. There was no link to contact the seller nor a return option.
on November 18, 2012
This is not chimayo chili powder,it may come from an area close to chimayo but that does not make it the real thing.Chimayo chiles are the black truffle of New Mexico chili,a unique and almost lost type of chili not like the any of the rest.Once you try REAL chimayo chili it will stay with you,all others will fall very short!!! That said,this chili powder is in fact good generic New Mexico powder to be used in enchilada sauce,carne adovada and other red chili dishes when you do not have time to soak dried pods,not bad chili at all,just not CHIMAYO. P.S.,i did not really expect the real thing at this price but you never know!Real chimayo powder goes for as much as one hundred dollars a pound or more!
on January 9, 2013
recived wy item with a broke saftey seal and contents spilled in box. With a o return policey i am stuck with a usless product.I would hope if something is broke when recieved it would be replaced.
on January 18, 2013
I used Anchos a lot in my cooking. I used to buy the two-oz packages of whole dried anchoes at the market, soak them, blend them and then add the puree to recipes. But I got tired of using a package every time I made chili. So I figured I'd buy it in bulk. Then I figured, why not just buy it pre-ground instead of whole dried. So I bought this two pound jar.

I made chili last week with a few pounds of meat and then added a 1/4 cup of my go-to chili powder blend, Gebharts. Then I added 1/4 cup of this Ancho powder instead of soaking and blending whole dried anchos. I got such a nice earthy flavor to the chili. My family said it's one of the best batches I've made.

If you haven't tried anchos in recipes, give it a go. It has a great earthy flavor, almost like unsweetened chocolate. I wouldn't substitute it for a blended chili powder; I'd add it in addition to regular chili powder.
Habanero peppers are one of the hottest peppers you can buy. When dried and pulverized, as they have been here, they make one of the hottest powers you can buy. Do not be fooled by the form: Fresh or dried, these peppers are extremely hot.

I would say so hot, in fact, that most people aren't going to like this stuff. A single sprinkle of this powder would result in food that is, for most people, too hot to eat.

Tread carefully, in other words.

That said, if you like things really hot, this stuff is good. For the hot nuts among us, a single light shake on your food is probably enough to send you to heaven. I can't imagine anyone going through this jar in much less than a lifetime, to be honest. More likely, the stuff will go stale before you ever get close to finishing it.

As for how to use it, physically: Get yourself an empty spice jar and CAREFULLY (use a spoon and slowly do this) transfer some into the jar. Don't just pour from this big container into the small jar: The dust from this jar is pretty noxious, not to mention eye irritation potential. You don't want your pet licking it off the floor, or your kids getting some on their food from dust on the counter. Just take spoon fulls and slowly lower them into the small shaker. Shakers with very small holes are preferred--if you accidentally dump too much in your food, your food is going to go in the hopper.

Anyway, if you like your food really hot and don't want to go the hot sauce route (or want to use the heat in foods that aren't really hot sauce appropriate, such as Spaghetti, pop corn, etc.) this is your poison!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2013
I spoon it into a regular spice bottle to dispense. Otherwise it would be difficult with giant container to put on the food.

See 1 answered question