Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on May 20, 2002
I've been associated with colored pencils (Prismacolor,back when they were still Berol) since high school so I remember the Bet Borgeson books back in the 80's...trust me,they don't hold a candle to this book.I bought Gary Greene's "Creating textures in colored pencil" in the mid 90's and was instantly besotted with the (unfortunately) small section devoted to Ann Kullberg and her technique.After years of trial and error,Kullberg's common sense approach had me slapping my head and saying, "Why didn't I think of that?" I used that section in Gary Greene's book as a reference guide ever afterwards and was pleased when Ms Kullberg gave us a full book (this one) showcasing her method and abilities.The illustrator Bill Nelson is probably the greatest practitioner in the Prismacolor field today,but Ann Kullberg is without a doubt the best teacher.An Invaluable reference guide for the prismacolor portrait artist.
on August 27, 2000
I've had the book for a couple of days and I'm amazed at what a difference it has made in my portraits! I've been drawing for many years, have taken portrait classes, and read many books. Nothing else has had this much of an impact on my work. It is not for the beginner. You need to have a grasp of the basic concepts of drawing, such as the proportions of the face, before you attempt the techniques presented here. It was a joy to read.
on August 28, 2004
Not too long ago I purchased both the books "Colored Pencil Portraits Step by Step" and "Capturing Soft Realism in Colored Pencil" by Ann Kullberg via Amazon.com, and I was amazed by the quality of the instruction contained in the books as well as the exquisite talent of Ms. Kullberg. I noticed that one Amazon.com reviewer mentioned Ms. Kullberg offers a "companion CD" at her website to the Capturing Soft Realism in Colored Pencil book so I thought I'd visit there.

I sent an e-mail asking if she offered any kind of video instruction for portraiture more specifically and received a prompt, pleasant reply referring me to the new Portrait Tool Kit CD at [...] This Portrait Tool Kit CD is a must have! It offers a variety of invaluable videos, pictures, tips, et al for creating colored pencil portraits. I was so excited about it that I also purchased the "Little Boy" Skin Tone Portrait Kit at [...] - another must have! - which has everything you need (aside from the colored pencils) to complete a wonderful portrait step-by-step.

What impresses me so much about Ms. Kullberg is that she's not only an exceptional artist, but an exceptional teacher as well. All of her instructional books, videos, and kits are designed using a friendly and comprehensive, yet, easy-to-understand approach that leaves you feeling as if you have truly learned something valuable about the colored pencil medium as well as art itself!
on March 8, 2000
After reading the Kullberg book on colored pencil portraiture, I found myself enjoying my work more. I have sold portraits for years and years and have never had as much fun as I am now. The Kullberg method is so simple. Her work is beautiful. By using her methods my sales have increased 75%. I am so glad I discovered the Kullberg method. All of the years of formal art training did not teach me what I learned from this one book. Thanks Anne!
on March 8, 1999
As a mostly self taught colored pencil artist, I am so happy that I discovered Ann Kullberg's new book. Her step by step instruction is clear and she makes it easy to understand and follow along. I am learning how to organize and layer many different colors to achieve really beautiful skin tones and how to use light and shadow both in photgraphing my subjects and in the drawing process to give my portraits real personality. There are so many tips and techniques in this book, and I've found that by using these methods my work is really improving. Thanks Ann for sharing your experience with other artists.
on March 5, 1999
Ann Kullberg's new book, "Colored Pencil Portraits Step by Step", is a complete and exciting collection of lessons and examples on the difficult subject of portraiture. Kullberg, a full time commission portrait artist, shares her methods and opinions in a very readable, understandable, and unpretentious way. She covers composing a portrait, seeing the light, creating believable skin tones, painting features and the face, painting hair, painting fabric, and putting it all together. Each section includes demonstrations, thorough explanations, and many examples of her exquisite artwork. The extensive discussion on skin tones is especially enlightening. In the last section, she takes the reader through several detailed multi step demonstrations. Kullberg's enthusiasm and love for her life's work is evident on every page. For anyone interested in drawing people with colored pencils, this book is a must!
on February 19, 1999
To me this book would be worth the price just for Kullberg's explanation of the technique of "scumbling". Fact is though, her "skin tone color guide" is something that is equally valuable, and well worth the time to construct (she shows how in the book)
I have probably read every book on "how to" paint in colored pencil. This one is the best published to date. Not only is it well done (and "step by step" as the title says) but Kullberg gives examples of not just how to paint drapery, but how to paint the various FABRICS (knits, polished, denim etc) and these are worth studying for one simple reason; Kullberg's portraits are so lifelike that sometimes at first glance you could confuse them with photographs. Her work is absolutely gorgeous. It REALLY gives you a benchmark to shoot for in your own paintings. The challenge of striving for that goal can provide you with a new excitement for your own work. I know this was bound to have been a lot of work for her to put together, but I really hope we see more such books from her in the future !
on February 10, 2002
Ann Kullberg is a self-taught artist, and as such, has a knack for making the tips and techniques presented in her book easily understandable to anyone - including those among us with no formal training, but a desire to create beautiful coloured pencil portraits. Her book is filled with step-by-step demonstrations on perfecting skin tones, lighting, and painting realistic hair, as well as suggestions on determining proper composition in portraits. There is a bit on backgrounds and fabrics, but most of the focus is on painting the portrait subject. Her forth-coming book, "Capturing Soft Realism in Colored Pencil" will offer more in the way of creating interior and exterior backgrounds. If you have dabbled in portraiture and are now looking for resources to expand upon - look no further than this book! .... .... And, I'm STILL eagerly learning!
on March 11, 1999
I anxiously awaited Ann Kullbergs book on drawing portraits in colored pencils. This book is one of the best books on colored pencil art. There are not lengthy discussions about materials or work environment. The basic attitude seems to be lets paint and this is how I do it. The areas discussing skin color and value gradation are applicable to any subject one might chose to render in this medium. The step by step demonstrations are extremely well done and useful. I also like the highlighted hints sprinkled throughout the text. Furthermore, although I have never met the author, it seems her personality permeates the book and gives it a delightful quality.
on February 8, 2000
This book is my bible! As a portrait artist who works in colored pencil I find it indispensable. Every aspect of portraiture and using colored pencils is covered from composition, to light source to tools and techniques. It is laid out very logically for the beginner with step by step instructions. The examples are excellent. For the more experienced artist it is a great reference tool for quickly jumping in to check out a particular aspect of your work in progress. On top of all that, it's just plain good reading...and the author's work is outstanding...many beautiful pieces!