Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 12, 2012
This is a good book for someone who knows next to nothing about neuroanatomy but if you have at least a basic working knowledge of the brain then this book is not for you. I'd suggest going for the popular competitor. I'm a Neuroscience Undergrad and wanted a simple neuroanatomy coloring book to pass the time and seal in anatomical structures but this book was overly simplistic. I ordered the competitor and am much happier with that purchase. HOWEVER, if you are new to the world of neuroanatomy I think this book will be a solid buy - it gives clear descriptions and the drawings are not complicated. It is for that reason I give it 4 stars. It would be 5 but some of the enlargements for the pictures looked distorted which made the book seem "cheap", other than that, for a neuroanatomy novice/beginner - this is a good book, but if you have already learned a thing or two about the brain, go with the competitor.
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2009
I bought this book to help me with my cognitive neuroscience class, and it proved to be very useful. I think it'd work best for those who are visual learners. Rather than looking at a diagram in a book and memorizing it, I was spending a few minutes on certain sections of the brain to color them in, which made the parts (and functions, which I kept reviewing while coloring) stick in my mind.
on December 28, 2013
I purchased this book as a companion to John P. J. Pinel's Biopsycholgoy (8th edition) for a class. This workbook was not required, but I found it very helpful for two reasons:

1. I have never taken a class involving neuroscience of any kind, and I knew that these concepts would be difficult for me to fully understand. This workbook broke down the parts of the human nervous system in a way that made it simple and straightforward.
2. I found it exceedingly comforting and relaxing to simply color. I enjoyed choosing what colors to use, shading in the appropriate shapes, while simultaneously learning. This subject matter can be intimidating for some, and stressful for others, and the act of coloring removes some of these boundaries.

The workbook also acts as a study guide...there is a back flap that is designed to cover over the names of the structures, and you can go back and test yourself without peeking. The facing page of each coloring diagram includes a brief overview of the specific elements you are coloring and how they relate to one another. These descriptions are very brief summaries which provide a good reinforcement of what you learned from whatever textbook you are using (assuming you are in a class on biopsychology, neuropsychology, or a biology class about the nervous system).

I would recommend this book to anyone who feels that they need some extra help in understanding the complex structures of the human nervous system.
on November 22, 2011
I'm an undergraduate Psychology student, my best friend gave me this book because I was struggling in my Neuroanatomy class. I went from the bottom of the class to the top within a month thanks to this book. i highly recommend it!
on June 23, 2015
Wow! I only did lesson 1, but I already see results. I am a very visual learner, so this book is perfect for me. It helped me with something very simple: I read 'central nervous system' in my textbook and in my head I automatically visualized the colors and shape of the lesson in this workbook. I'll modify this post as the semester continues, but so far... Wow!
on March 8, 2014
This book is a lot of fun, and is a great learning tool . I love the concept that a 76 year old man is learning more about the brain and coloring like a child. I can see where it would be useful for students of all ages. The only problem arose when my friend's nine year old ask if he could color in the book, and I had to tell him to keep his hands off of my coloring book.
on August 1, 2015
I bought this book for a Neuroanatomy course I will be taking in the fall. Don't get me wrong, so far it's great and very helpful. An excellent way to help understand a complex system.

Apparently, however, it was written by a 6th grade sex ed class. Twice in this book so far the testes and ovaries have been referred to as, I quote, "naughty bits".

Really?

REALLY?

I think someone would benefit from playing the penis game.

Surely this book is aimed at college-level students. And, one would think, students who are pursuing the sciences. Why then, in a book full of technical anatomical terms, would the authors think it's appropriate to refer to the gonads as "naughty bits"? They're not even the naught bits! I would think the penis and vulva would be the "naughty bits". I mean, that's what we consider naughty right? Sexual pleasure? Anyways, I suppose I shouldn't expect much from a coloring book, amirite?

No but really you should buy this book. It's very helpful, and who doesn't like coloring?
on March 30, 2010
I am interested in neuroanatomy and needed a tool to help me learn. This book has great stories about the brain to accompany the coloring pages and the information is organized in a very helpful way. I would highly recommend this book.
on January 17, 2015
Love this book. Didn't know about the "drawing" part when I bought it but it was a great bonus in the end! If you ever need to, or want to know, anything about the brain this is your go-to. The writing is easy to understand and appeals on several different levels.
Bought it for a neuro psych class in 2012 and I still reference it in my classes, 3 years later!
on January 16, 2014
Given to a young person studying psychology. The book is beautiful to look at and I am hoping very useful to the student. Arrived in pristine condition and I would purchase again for someone interested in knowing more about the brain and needing a tool to help them meet their goals.