Customer Discussions > Casablanca forum

Colorized Version of CASABLANCA Video or DVD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 97 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 10, 2010 7:00:12 PM PST
D. Stafford says:
I prefer the color version because that is the version I first rented and the first time I saw it, so to ME, THAT it the "real" Casablanca. Imagine seeing Gone With the Wind or The Wizard of OZ, then only later being able to find them in black and white? As far as "what the producers originally wanted", they wanted to sell as many viewings as possible. We also see directors/studios fiddle with movies all the time; adding, deleting, "digital remastering". Saying the color version is inferior is like saying none of the Beatles songs should ever be on CD or MP3. They should be on a scratchy phonograph because "that is how they were meant to be heard". The Casablanca of my mind is in color, and I would like to purchase a copy, and the studio should provide it since it has already been converted.
BTW, Metropolis is WONDERFUL in color and with the new soundtrack, and it was originally black and white and SILENT! So this is no great insult to a classic, just a slightly different take that some prefer.

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 9:10:09 PM PST
wazza says:
I also want Casablanca in Color." But can you tell me where to buy the newly restored Colored version of Metropolis" also what is BTW.When ever i search for Metropolis the results never give good of inclusions & details stating that there is a second Colored disc or choosable selection on start up.Are they afraid to mention the word Colorized ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 1:22:27 PM PST
Hi...do you still have the dvd of the colorized version of Casablanca? Does it have commercials or does it run straight through? If you do have a copy of it, can you tell me what you would charge for a copy of it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 12:31:09 PM PST
tracy says:
It is obvious you know nothing about film to want colorized(bastardized)version!
Lets paint The White House pink! Statue Of Liberty purple! Geo.Washingtons hair
black! Would that satisfy you bubble-gummers?

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 6:25:06 PM PST
wazza says:
Why do they print the DVD case for Casablanca in color.(ANSWER)because most free thinking people prefer Color Tracy.Is there a Black & White version of Gone with the Wind ?It would have been also cheaper to produce and is the main reason for B&W.You must be a verry old person that sitill watches a B&W TV.Happy new Year move into the Present.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 3:21:42 PM PST
If what you are saying is true, then why does the original screenplay, list, in great detail, all of the wardrobe IN COLOR. Some (I for one), enjoyed seeing the obnoxiously loud colors worn by the criminals, the ocean being blue instead of gray, etc. The original film could not be in color because of costs, not by choice. I just don't understand why the "purist" are so offended by the ones that enjoy viewing in color. At least we are all on the same page with regard to the greatness of the film.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 4:41:22 PM PST
wazza says:
With the Technology available today I cannot understand why there has not been a Colorized revival of GOOD old B&W movies (look at SHE Colorized it should change your mind & you still have a choice to watch it in B&W) I would like to see Roman Holiday Colorized,why are the studios resisting to market this new technology.
Just for fun and to prove a point why not do a trial and show all the latest movies in Black & White (easy to do) for a Month or so and see the turn up and reaction from the audience.
Well one day we may see more colour conversions, but untill then i will watch the veiw from my window in full colour.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 8:55:48 AM PST
Per Perald says:
That people have to tell others that they puke (or dislike in other ways) because some folks would like altered versions (like colorized ones), is just a proof that these people have a limited way of thinking.
If everything should be "original", Casablanca should be WATCHED IN A MOVIE THEATER, and one should get to the theater in a Plymouth , model 1940. Casablanca "was never meant for TV". If someone prefer a colorized version, it is their choice, and anyone that ridicules that is nothing else than a "taste fascist".

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 6:04:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2011 6:04:58 AM PDT
gambitrmp says:
I don't see why so much controversy. If people want to see it in color let them. If you only want to watch it in B&W, then do so but why try to block others from trying to see it how they want?

The DVD cover should be in B&W for the B&W version is all I can say other than that. Why advertise the product in a "false" maner?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 1:56:39 AM PDT
When will I see this movie in color again? It's not right that I have to see it in black and white when I've already seen it in the full blush of color. When will I see Casablanca in color again???

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 10:19:21 PM PDT
V. Sierra says:
Are you color blind?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 10:24:02 PM PDT
V. Sierra says:
Are you color blind?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 2:49:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2011 2:02:21 PM PDT
W. Mitchell says:
Daniel, If you have Casablanca colorized from tv please let me know.
Thank you,

dvdwanted123 at gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 2:55:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2011 2:02:38 PM PDT
W. Mitchell says:
Wulfe,

Did you ever find a copy of Casablanca colorized from tv?

dvdwanted123 at gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2011 4:48:25 PM PDT
Yes

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 1:57:20 PM PDT
W. Mitchell says:
Daniel, Could you possibly send me a copy?
email: dvdwanted123@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 3:20:40 PM PDT
W. Mitchell says:
I would really like to have a copy of your old and not perfect recording. Thank you! dvdhunter123@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 5:59:16 PM PDT
W. Mitchell says:
Were you able to get a copy of the colorized version
of Casablanca from TV/Cable?

Thank you,
wnkmitchell@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 9:44:56 PM PDT
I saw the colorized version sometime in the 90's and I liked it. It was already my favorite movie of all time. I was born in 1941, a few years later and I might not have understood all the things the movie was about. The movie captures just about all the emotions of that time period better than anything else besides living real life then. If it was a book and the story and its greatness was captured as well as the movie I would enjoy that very much. Life is in color and if I have a choice I would want all movies in color, sure I enjoy black and white movies too, but seeing a youthful Ingrid Bergman or say Ava Gardner in color just makes a world of difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2011 10:00:17 PM PDT
I did see the colorized version on the turner network about 15 or so years ago and really liked it, I would like to have a good color DVD of Casablanca. If that is a possibility email me with details @ RalphWWilson7@aol.com. Casablanca is my favorite movie of all time and that makes me want it in color more than any other movie. I did communicate with the powers that be at that time and got replys but all were negative.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 5:47:25 AM PST
fifty-seven says:
The colorized version of Casablanca was never released on DVD, only on VHS. There are a dozen or more copies of the VHS available for sale on Ebay at any time.
The current colorization process by Legend Films is many times batter than the old 1980's process that Ted Turner used. (We all know how much more powerful computers are today than they were 25 years ago.)
Filming a movie such as Casablanca in color would have doubed or even tripled the cost of making the movie. Back then color movies were shot on a camera that shot three rolls of black and white film simultaneously. Each of the individual black and white rolls was shot through a colored filter (red, green, blue). Then these three black and white negatives were copied in a complicated, technical process on to the color film which made the color prints prrojectd in movie theaters. You couldn't simply put a roll fo "Color" film in the camera as you did today. It didn't exist back then.
The first film you could do that with was Eastman Color, which didn't come out until 1950.
I find it laughable how vicious and nasty some people become on the subject of colorizing old movies. If there's a market for it, let people watch the colorized versions.
And what about colorizing old 1950's TV shows? How about a colorized I Love Lucy? I've seen stills of I Love Lucy scenes colorized by fans of the show and it is like seeing the images for the first time. Familiar and yet like seeing them for the first time.

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:52:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 8, 2012 11:54:43 AM PDT]

Posted on May 8, 2012 11:59:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 12:17:48 PM PDT
Colorized DVD's of Casablanca are available on EBay until 11 May 2012.
They are Region 1 and have been copied from a laser disc. I have just bought one but there are 9 available at the time of posting this.
Enter - Casablanca, Colorized, DVD - in Ebay.com
The seller is in the USA

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 2:39:38 PM PDT
There is 8 left now. I just bought one. All you black and white fans that think it is criminal to colorize BxW film, just worry about your own little business and keep watching the BxW version. Casablanca is maybe my all time favorite movie and I'll be able to watch it both ways. I saw the Ted Turner colorized version sometime in the 90's so I already know I like the colorized version best.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 8:09:41 PM PDT
fifty-seven says:
I ordered one of the DVD's of Casablanca (colorized), transferred from Laserdisc and I am pleased with it. I previously had a DVD I had made from a commercial VHS release of colorized Casablanca. The laserdisc version is signifigantly sharper than the VHS version!

The first time I saw the colorized version of Casablanca back in the 1990's, I knew I would never be satisfied with watching the B&W version ever again. How I wish there were a few hundred more colorized classic movies and TV programs!

When I was growing up, our family got it's first color TV in 1969. (Back then a 19 inch set was equivalent to well over $1000 in today's money). Occasionally, when watching an old black and white TV program, I would turn the color intensity control all the way up (it had no effect, of course) and I would wish that there was some magical device that would make a color program out of any old black and white broadcast!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Casablanca forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Casablanca [VHS]
Casablanca [VHS] by Humphrey Bogart (VHS Tape - 2001)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (1,930)