5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing
I immediately fell in love with this album (and Tarja), so to speak. From the first note to the last lyric, this album captured my attention. There are various themes presented throughout the songs, accompanied with great lyrics and intricate and exciting instrumentals.

Published 13 months ago by Evlded8503

3.0 out of 5 stars Re: Tarja
I was disappointed in this CD. I was expecting more rock music, as from her time in Nighwish. This is more symphonic without the rock, though there are a couple of songs that rock.
Published 10 months ago by James R. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, October 21, 2013
This review is from: Colours in the Dark (Audio CD)

Tarja is perhaps the greatest definition of Opera Metal I can supply. This album serves as a prime example. Too many albums in the Opera Metal genre are more Metal than Opera for my taste, and too many Opera Metal singers don't have a voice that can truly match the style. I defy you to find someone more qualified to exemplify this genre than Tarja, submitting this album as evidence. And if you believe you've found someone, please let me know because I want to hear her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful work!, October 21, 2013
I always look forward to any new material from Tarja.
This CD did not disappoint. She has hard rock, continues with her signature classical blend and also goes straight metal babe on my personal favorite, "Neverlight". I am listening to this over and over, not yet tired of it!

I have not yet downloaded my bonus track, "Into the Sun".

One complaint is the many versions of the album: I want the most tracks and collections of her music, but each incarnation has a whole different set up. I would have bought the big limited edition, but it was not available at time of my pre-order.
Still, this solo album makes me happy, 10 tracks and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully hit her stride on this one, October 4, 2013
Angela Mortis (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (MP3 Music)
I have loved certain songs from Tarja's previous albums, but this is the one that I can listen to from top to bottom, front to back, and love every piece of it. Personal favorites: Medusa, 500 Letters, and Victim of Ritual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her first good solo album, November 6, 2013
This review is from: Colours in the Dark (Audio CD)
I know that some people out there would not like me saying this, but whilst I really love Tarja's voice and her Nightwish era (I actually think that the real Nightwish is restricted to their having Tarja as vocals), I really disliked part of her solo career. I thought that albums like What Lies Beneath were mostly weird sounding and indistinct (the songs did not sound original at all, in my opinion). In spite of my past experience, I heard a few songs on this new album, and I thought I should give it a try. I'm glad I did. The album seems to me like a cornerstone in her solo career; I have the feeling that she has finally recovered what was hers back with Nightwish - a great voice and originality. I honestly liked this album, some of the songs like Lucid Dreamer, Mystique Voyage, and Deliverance are good songs that highlight her amazing voice again. I've been listening to it over and over in my car for the past few days and I still haven't had enough of it. A good pick :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Tarja album, good but not great, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Colours in the Dark (Audio CD)
If you liked her other albums, you will like his one without question. Her band is top notch, as is, without saying, her voice as she is one of the best vocalists around PERIOD. American pop artists like Mariah Screetchy..errr..Carey have NOTHING on Tarja as they are not on her level.

That all being said, this album suffers fom the same thing all Tarja's do: mediocre, unremarkable songwriting. Her former bandmate Tomas(keyboards, songwriter, Nightwish) knew how to write memorable music that complimented her voice. Tarja needs to work with another songwriter/composer of that talent, without question.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible..., October 17, 2013
Thank you Amazon for the box set. The vinyl size booklet is just a blow-up of the same cd booklet from any digipak. The posters? Well, can live with or without them. The T-shirt is good. L fits me but are we not supposed to hang it on the wall just like the posters? The box itself is beautiful. Now the cd. This digipak is well made with a bit of thought put into it. Now, the music is incredible. I luv Tarja's singing. Every new Tarja cds get better than the previous ones.This is what excites!! ...and thank you Tarja for the music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not her best effort, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Colours in the Dark (Audio CD)
Solid CD but not her best work. Two awesome tracks but the others will take some getting used to. I would recommend this to her true fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Tarja, August 19, 2014
This review is from: Colours In The Dark (MP3 Music)
A review I did for my webzine and decided to share it here to help persuade people to buy this wonderful album.

he most anticipating album of Tarja's has finally released and this is by far her greatest yet. With each new album Tarja shows that she is growing and she is getting comfortable with her writing. Colours in the Dark is an album of many varieties. Fans of all genres can gain something. There is nothing to hate, at least I don't think so.

The album contains 10 tracks, plus some bonuses depending on the edition you buy, including 'Into the Sun' which was introduced to us in her live DVD, 'Act 1'. Those who do not find this album to be a masterpiece are obviously deaf and know no good music! (Just kidding, but seriously.)

The tracks that stand out, in my opinion, are '500 Letters', 'Lucid Dreamer', 'Mystique Voyage', 'Until Silence' 'Into the Sun', and 'Medusa'. Lets discuss three songs from this album. You can read our review of 'Victim of Ritual' single on our site.

'Mystique Voyage' is truly the most beautiful song of the album. This song was written in 3 different languages, plus French title, and tells us the story of Tarja's journeys. It creates a huge euphoric experience and it truly feels you have gone on the voyage with her.

"Welcome to my Mystique Voyage
An inner trip to fantasy, freedom and love
A conquest of fear, lonesomeness and dislike
Welcome to my world"

'Until Silence' hit me the hardest on a personal level. This is only my opinion of the song, but I felt it was a suicide note. I am not saying Tarja is suicidal, no, so please do not start worrying, but as a person who thinks of suicide a lot, I took it personally. Did she write this because she knows someone personally who has died of or attempted suicide? Maybe she wrote this in dedication to some of her fans who have felt this way. Whatever the reason it is a very somber song that tugs at the heart. I could be wrong and overanalyzing things, it happens. Razz

"Goodbye, I know my love will go on
I'll wait until the tears are gone
Goodbye, I know this love will go on
Until the silence says goodbye"

'Darkness' is a cover song from Peter Gabriel. This is, by far, one of the best covers Tarja has done and I liked them all. When I first heard this cover I was like O.O WOW! I never heard Tarja use her voice this way and even then it sounds amazing! She truly made it her own without necessarily changing anything.

"I'm afraid of what I do not know
I hate being undermined
I'm afraid I can be devil man
And I'm scared to be divine
Don't mess with me my fuse is short
Beneath this skin these fragments caught"

If you have not bought this album yet, do so. You will not regret it. I cannot find any flaws in the songs. I only have one complaint, not a big one, and that is of the album cover. It took me some time to get use to it, but with the deluxe edition there is a slipcover that comes off revealing only the picture which I love more than with the paint all over. It is definately different from her first covers. Anyways, good job Tarja! This is one damn good album and I know we have many more to come from you. Wink

"I saw our memories die
Thought our dreams had lost their meaning
But dreams still in my heart
Are painting colours in the dark"

Overall Rating: 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT AN INCREDIBLE VOICE !!! TARJA RULES, October 16, 2013
This review is from: Colours in the Dark (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this album.

As good as it is, the songs grow on you even more, the more you listen to it.

Her voice takes you for a ride on this album.

My favorite songs tend to change the more I listen to them.

For now, Victim Of Ritual, 500 Letters, Mystique Voyage and Until Silence are songs that I'm listening to over and over.....But, I love them all.

A must buy for Tarja fans.

My review was based on audio that I listened to from Youtube.
I just purchased the Mp3 album from Amazon and what a difference in audio quality.
This album is even more incredible.

Now I have to purchase the CD which will have even higher quality audio than Mp3.
If you love soaring voices, then do yourself a favor and purchase this amazing album.
( After writing a review before the Mp3 purchase, based on Youtube video uploads, and then purchasing the Mp3, I DID PURCHASE THE CD after writing this review. It should arrive in a day or so.) Can't wait !!!

As far as not liking an album or song(s) at first and then liking them later.
That's why hasty reviews should be ignored.

I love the super group U2.

When Achtung Baby was released in Nov 1991, I hated it. I was expecting something more like "Joshua Tree"
After a few listens I placed the CD back on the shelf. A few weeks later I decided to give it another try. "Achtung Baby" became one of my favorite albums ever. I ended up seeing 8 U2 concerts in 1992. They covered much of that new album too.

So, I would avoid hastily made bad reviews by customers or critics.

This album grows and grows on you. If you get a chance to view some Youtube videos of Tarja singing her new songs performed at the Olomouc Festival Oct. 18-20 2013, you'll love the absolute power of her voice and the songs. It's Tarja at her absolute best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark colours, September 21, 2014
oleskipper (Aarhus, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Colours in the Dark (Audio CD)
There's a richness to the material and production here that may require a few listens for it to sink in. But I have come to feel that this is at least the equal of Tarja's excellent previous offerings. The songs are generally somewhat brighter in nature than before, even colourful (hence the appropriate titel), accompanied by at times almost psychedelic (anybody remember that word?) soundscapes. Make no mistake, the Queen of Metal hangs on to her throne and even expands her territory. Awesome.

Colours in the Dark
Colours in the Dark by Tarja (Audio CD - 2013)