Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Colt : An American Legend
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 21, 2004
Look, you can't get Wilson's seminal, collectible The Book of Colt Firearms because it is out of print, costs $1000 if you can find one, and your wife would kill you.

Get this book. This is as close as you can get and is widely available. I use it all the time to look up the date of manufacture of any Colt's I might want to buy. The illustrations are quite outstanding.

If you don't know, Mr. Wilson is the most famous Colt expert, who must be incredibly rich to have built his collection. Most of the items shown are from Wilson's own collection, worth millions. He doesn't need the money from this book. It is a labor of love.
on June 7, 2000
This is a book for your coffee table! It of course covers the history of Colt firearms, and was written by (who else?) the historical consultant to the Colt Firearms Division.

Wilson is also a well-known collector, free-lance consultant and well-known author in the firearms field. This is his twentieth book, and perhaps his best.

The book is well-written, of course, and the epitome of accuracy--deriving its facts and figures directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak--but its greatest value is the exquisite color photography with which it is filled.

There are 406 gorgeous eight and a half inch by eleven inch (landscape) pages, almost all of them containing color photographs of great beauty, depicting historical firearms directly from Colt's own collection, as well as from other sources.

If you are a firearm aficionado, or a Colt collector, or just a history buff who appreciates the role Colt firearms have played in American history, this is the book for you.

It is one of my most prized books.

Joseph Pierre,
Author of THE ROAD TO DAMASCUS: Our Journey Through Eternity
on December 5, 2003
before buying used, consider the author's own web site & other major bookstores - the book is available new for a very reasonable price.
on June 30, 2006
I bought this book sight unseen based on my interest in the subject matter and from seeing other offerings of RL Wilson and liking them. First off, this book hasn't been updated since it was produced in the late 80s. Lots has changed since that time. First off, I need to claim my biases. When it comes to Colt I am primarily interested in Single Action Armies, 1911s, and the Python/Diamonbacks. That said I couldn't believe how little photography was devoted to the 1911. By far the most numerous of Colts ever made due to WWI and II production. There were very few photos of standard production 1911s and those that were there were of well used and weatherbeaten ones. There were more of the decorative/unique 1911s. I am fortunate enough to live near a collection of Frank Phillip's (Petroleum) Colt's in the museum in Bartlesville, OK. I couldn't believe Wilson would not photograph their Colts. They're pristine, covering every major variant. The Peacemaker was given fair coverage. The Python and Diamondback were given very little coverage. At the time the Diamondback was current production and more blah in his opinion, I am sure. Looking back on it, it was a classic since it was the last affordable, working man's revolver made by Colt. Now, to me, it marks the end of an epoch. Yes, Colt still makes Pythons but they are so expensive, hard to find and production is so limited they are not hardly worth talking about anymore. If you are into the early guns primarily this is probably a great book. Based on my interests this book was a bit of a disappointment.
on July 8, 2004
This is an invaluable tome for appreciators of the Colt lineage and for appreciators of the history of the Colt enterprise. In this volume R.L. Wilson chronicles as accurately as possible the real story of how Sam Colt perservered to finally deliver a quantum leap in weapons technology after being rebuffed at first. The marvellous high quality photographs of arms are a treat in themselves and this is a book you'll find yourself pickup up over and over again to enjoy.
on January 22, 2008
This book is chuck full of great high quality color and some black and white photographs, showing the detailed craftmanship of old Colt firearms, from the quality engraving and inlaying to metal and wood working. It gives a complete history of every gun Colt created.
Great for collectors and gun enthusiasts alike! I am not a gun collector but I do appreciate great craftsmanship, and this book is full of examples to demonstrate both Arts and History.
on May 4, 2016
One of the better references for Colt. As with most references, many high-end pieces are pictured. Along with the near-unattainable pieces described and pictured, there is sufficient coverage of what is available today. The history of Colt and the pieces produced is very good. I would certainly recommend this book for those interested in beginning or furthering their interrest in this fine firearm.
on January 3, 2015
This was a Christmas present for a person who never says anything nice about his presents. When he opened this one, he said, "Oh, wow! This is nice! This is nice!" Then he tried to cut the plastic wrap with his fingernail, so he could read the Colt story as soon as possible.
on February 15, 2014
His books are astounding - there is little left to say. It's a treasure!
It's not so much the pictures which are killers to begin with, but his writing is
a thing of beauty. You will not regret owning any of the R.L.Wilson books.
on February 20, 2013
I went to a gun show and one dealer had tons of books about guns. I am particularly interested in old west guns, especially Colts, so I was very excited when I found this book, but he was charging a ridiculous price so I passed on it. Then I looked on Amazon and found it used (doesn't matter to me as long as it's in good condition) for much less. This is a great book, filled with color photos of all the Colt guns from the very beginning. I haven't read it cover to cover yet, but I've looked through it and I can tell it's going to be very informative. Worth it for the photos alone.