Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Size: Large|Color: Bright Peach|Change

on September 24, 2015
Columbia makes some fantastic shirts, but make sure to order the appropriate size. I am 5’10”, 195 lbs, and would typically wear a Large in most similar styled (button-up) shirts, but I have to get a Medium in Columbia PFG shirts. (The Medium is still a moderately loose fit, as the Large is like a tent on me). (By the same token, my dad at 5'11"/230 lbs usually wears an XL or XXL, and he comfortably wears a Large in these shirts). Tip number two is that because these shirts are on different sizing scale, many get returned to the Amazon Warehouse, so keep an eye for Amazon Warehouse deals on these shirts (see tips to finds the easiest way to compare prices across sizes and colors at the conclusion of this review). I have tried the Tamiami II, Bahama II, and Bonehead versions of the Columbia shirts, and have been pleased with all of them. My favorite is the Tamiami II in the summer, but the Bonehead is my choice for fall and winter. Below I have noted the differences in these three styles, for those trying to decide which shirt they may prefer.

TAMIAMI II STYLE (POLY)
The Tamiami II (T2) is my favorite of the three aforementioned styles. The main difference between these styles is material. The T2 is 100% polyester (liner and exterior), the Bahama II (Ba2) is nylon, and the Bonehead (BH) is poplin cotton. The T2 is the thinnest/lightest (most breathable) material of the three styles, also has a slightly shinier appearance, and is probably the most wrinkle resistant of the three (as the fabric is less rigid that the nylon Bahama II or cotton Bonehead). The T2 has a snap button pocket on top with Velcro pockets underneath on both sides, which I also prefer over the pocket style on the other two (Ba2 & BH have identical pocket styles). The synthetic T2 and Ba2 both wick moisture and create a cooling effect better than the cotton BH, but the lightness of the T2 makes it by far the coolest wearing of the three. For outdoor activity in the heat and humidity of summer, it would definitely be my preferred choice. The long-sleeve version is fantastic for offshore fishing when lightweight sun protection is essential. (The T2 & the Ba have an SPF rating, as the weave of the fabric is “lose” enough to allow some penetration of UV through the material itself; whereas, the Bonehead traditional cotton weave blocks essentially all UV penetration through the material itself – but this means it has a heavier feel and does not evaporate moisture as well).

BAHAMA II STYLE (NYLON)
The Bahama II is the middle ground between the T2 and the BH. It is synthetic - similar to the T2, but is nylon exterior shell with a polyester liner (whereas T2 is poly liner and shell). The pockets on the Ba are the same traditional Columbia PFG look as the pockets on the Bonehead. The slightly more rigid feel of the nylon, also gives the Bahama a more traditional (cotton-look) appearance than the T2. The Ba nylon manages moisture better than the BH cotton version – i.e. it evaporates sweat more quickly. Other than that, the Ba and the BH are pretty close to the same.

BONEHEAD STYLE (COTTON)
Most everything has already been covered. The BH and the aforementioned Ba styles look virtually identical. Essentially, I like the Bonehead for occasions when I won’t be sweating as much and for drier/cooler weather, so I prefer these in long sleeve for fall and light winter wear. I also like the traditional appearance of the Ba and the BH for work wear, but the T2 look I like better for casual.

AMAZON PRICE COMPARISON & WAREHOUSE DEALS
I used to always get aggravated at the way Amazon list apparel items with multiple colors, as it can take forever to search through multiple color (and size) options to see the cheapest offerings. On my iPad (mobile version of the site) the color prices are displayed in a list style automatically, but on my PC desktop I would have to select each color/size individually to see the price options. I did not realize there is a much simpler way. Select the “new and used from” (or “new” if no used offerings available) icon, which will take you to a list view. Then select a size and click “lowest offer for each” beside the color selector. It will display the cheapest offering for each color shirt in that size, so you can quickly see which colors are the cheapest. Also, this view will show any Amazon Warehouse Deals available. As mentioned in the first paragraph, these shirts get returned often due to sizing issues, so many times the Warehouse deals are shirts that were tried on and immediately returned for a smaller size.
on December 28, 2008
I have been buying Columbia Bonehead shirts for my husband for many years now. He is an A/C contractor and a Maintenance Supervisor for apartment communities, the shirts get a tough work out and continued washing. They are top quality shirts that have lasted longer than most shirts would have in the professions my husband is in. I would recommend the Columbia Shirt name to anyone, they are well made and worth the money. Laurie Dughi
33 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2011
This shirt is a bit roomy for me but I wanted it to be comfortable when I travel and be able to wear it over a t-shirt. It has many pockets that are good for carrying those things you need on a trip (small camera, IPOD, etc.)
on July 14, 2013
Wearable but just too large. Ordered next size down, love it. But they are roomy at stated size. I am a full xl But the xxl was way too big. the xl has space and is a wonderful casual but nice shirt for the monsoons in SE Asia. Long sleeve for mosquito protection, and cool due to design and materials. Perfect for casual but nice attire
on June 26, 2013
SIZING: The shirt does run a little big, so keep that in mind. I usually buy XXL cotton shirts (because they usually shrink down to proper XL size), but I bought this in XL and it is plenty roomy. Not too big, though, and had minimal to no shrinkage in the wash. Just right for me. It is nice being a little loose though, since you wear this type of shirt in the sun and heat.

THE SHIRT: The sun and I have always had an agreement to disagree. And since having skin cancer already at the age of 25, I need to protect myself from the sun, no matter what the weather. So, I do not use this shirt as intended (for fishing) but as a lightweight sun-shirt for general wear. The fabric is 100% cotton, very light-weight, and fairly durable for its light-weightness (if that is a word :D...). It seems to breathe well with the vented back, and is quite cool, no pun intended.

As a note: If you use this shirt to conceal a weapon, sew in a patch of heavier fabric where the pistol normally rides if you have a "snaggy" pistol. First day, my 1911's hammer made a nice rip on my right side. Not the shirt's fault, as a 1911 hammer can grab clothing very efficiently, but something to note.
on August 17, 2014
My husband likes these shirts so much, and it is so difficult to find lightweight longsleeve outdoor shirts that are 100% cotton, that I bought him 5 shirts in different colors. These are the best shirts for him to wear outdoors, since he's a redhead and sunburns easily. We go to Baja a lot, and they are great for the desert and ocean. His first Bonehead is about 10 years old and still going, if a bit sun faded.
on July 20, 2011
Columbia did it again with these shirts! They allow you to stay comfortable while protecting you from the sun. They run big so order at least a size smaller than you normally wear. You will enjoy these............
on May 14, 2012
These shirts are great. They do run a bit large, small feels like a medium.
Very comfortable, the mesh lining inside with the back vents really allow for a cool wearing shirt even in hot humid weather.
on March 20, 2015
I'm quite picky about the items I buy for my wardrobe. Buying apparel online is always a guessing game, but I'm pleased to say that I'm more than satisfied with the Columbia Bonehead Long Sleeve Shirt. Overall, the construction seems solid and, since I'm not hard on my clothes, should give me several years of wear. In "sport" shirts like these, I always buy the long sleeve versions since you have the option of rolling up the sleeves and using the tabs to keep them in place. The pockets are plentiful and roomy. I also like the fact that the collar isn't button-down but held in place by velcro. While that seemed odd at first, I realized that it's two less buttons to worry about falling off. The back venting works well, especially in breezy weather. I always wear mine over a v-neck all-cotton t-shirt (to keep perspiration and anti-antiperspirant off the shirt) and it still helps keep me cool with the exception of the very hottest of days. The fabric isn't the smoothest, but it's certainly not anywhere as bad as the cheap stuff. As for fit, I was pleased to find they fit me true to size. I'm a US size 40 in men's suits and the medium is just right. In shirts of this kind, I've bought cheaper ones (half the price) and they shrank far too much after several washings. In hot weather, that's not a good thing...so I'd stay on the safe side and be satisfied if you buy one and it's slightly large. You will stay cooler that way. For laundering, I use a standard Tide "pod" and wash on gentle cycle with like colors or hand wash with Woolite. For drying, I always hang these to dry. If I wash them in the evening, by morning they are dry. For a neater look, I press over them with a warm iron. I was so pleased with my first one that I bought four more in several colors. Paired with a well-built pair of khaki/black/navy ripstop cargo pants and Gore-Tex Timberland boots, and I'm set for the trip. What's my outing? Not fishing. I'm a storm chaser and Skywarn spotter with over 30 years of experience in the field. After that long in a variety of weather, you get picky about the quality of clothing you wear. When I've gotten quite wet from rain, these have dried quickly. The pockets are great for batteries, camera lenses, hand held wind meters, and other small items you want close at hand. In the hot steamy flatlands of the Great Plains, these keep me cool while giving me the option of rolling down the sleeves if it gets a bit chilly. I now wear these shirts exclusively on my long trips and am glad to highly recommend them with five stars.
on February 3, 2016
Comfortable, versatile shirt here. Unfortunately, I don't wear it near as much as I would have liked. People warmed me but I didn't listen, this thing is huge for the size. I wear medium-large range tshirts and I thought I would be safe with a medium. Wrong. I was swimming in this thing even as a medium.

It has a couple pockets and a "cooling" back area that's suppose to promote air flow and lowering the amount of sweat running down your back. I can't say I've used it alllll that much to find out but on the mild temperatured days that I did use it, I found it to be quite comfortable. I felt a little silly though just because of how big it was. I have posted a very similar review for a long sleeved version of the "Tamiami II" short sleeve style shirt. The long sleeve was a little easier to hide the "over sized ness" of the shirt.

Order small. Or pretend that it looks good even though it's 2 sizes too large. Whatever you prefer!