5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NEWEST VERSION!!!
BUY THIS VERSION! The tent listed here is model number CB-9001-10. The other third party buying options listed on amazon are CB-9001. I first called amazon and they couldn't give me an answer about the difference. I then called North Pole at 1-866-706-9377 and got the low-down. The CB-9001-10 is the newest, 2010 version.

After a tremendous amount of research, I...
Published on March 18, 2010 by Teresa

1.0 out of 5 stars Let Me Explain My 1-Star Review
First off let me just say how amazing Amazon is.

We purchased the Cougar Flats tent based on the outstanding reviews we read online after researching plenty of tents. We set up the tent at the camp site and realized that we were missing a center yellow Y-bracket. My honey was able to make the tent work for the weekend and when we got back, I called Columbia to...
Published on August 7, 2011 by Christi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 516 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tent, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
I have used this tent for approximately a week over the past month and I have to agree with other reviews. The tent is great quality and we made it through a heavy rainstorm without getting wet (and I hadn't done any seam sealing yet!) We did have a strap on our rainfly break, but I just spoke with Northpole and they are sending us a new one right away. I appreciate that the separator in the middle sticks up a little. It held our air mattresses firm on one side of the tent which allowed us to use the other for gear. We used a queen and a twin air mattress on one side. You might be able to fit 2 queens, but they would definitely be a tight fit and would rub against the tent which may cause leaking. I wish the awning was in front of the door instead of attached to a window and I hate that the cords to hold the tent stretch out so far. This caused more than one person to trip. I will probably shorten them next time. I would definitely buy this one again.

Word of warning: I found the setup directions confusing the first time. Now we are able to set up easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tent!, May 9, 2010
cindercheck (White Lake, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
Roomy tent...much larger than our pop-up camper was! The tent comes with seam-sealer, no need to purchase any more. Stayed dry even when there were severe storms & torrential rain/wind! Only disadvantage...when using a portable heater, make sure you keep the center partition open; otherwise, the second room will not have any heat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Family of 5, July 1, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
I purchased the tent after reading several reviews. Fellow consumers actually convinced me to go with it. Although very heavy, it comes with a good sized carrying bag with wheels. Upon opening it, I was a bit overwhelmed by all the parts. Wow! Was I surprised by how easy it was to set up. Everything is color coded and the instructions were easy to understand. There are plenty of large windows for ventilation and the divider was perfect for privacy. My wife and I set up a full sized air mattress on one side and another full sized air mattress along with a twin on the other side for the kiddos. There was still plenty of room for moving around. The awning was another nice feature.
I haven't had it out in the rain yet but am confident that the rain fly will be fine. Columbia sends a water-proofing substance for the seems, a nice touch! My family and I couldn't be any happier with this tent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good tent, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
Bought this tent after reading many reviews on several tents in this size category. I caught this on sale while Amazon was offering a 20% discount on all outdoor sport items using the Amazon Visa Card . With free shipping this deal couldn't be beat.I was going camping in 2 days so I opted for the one day shipping at an additional $3.99 bringing my total to $188. I elected the one day shipping so I could take a dry run in assembling and also to allow time for seam sealing the tent. I actually favored the Eureka Copper Canyon 1512 but couldn't see spending the extra $100 for an additional 2 ft to the width.
The Cougar Flats II is of very high quality and well worth the investment.The expandable wheeled bag is a nice touch and the color scheme is also very nice.Despite other viewers complaints about getting the tent back in the bag we had no problem at all thanks to the expandability of the bag(works just like travel luggage zipper expansions).Nothing flimsy about Cougar Flats II other than the provided stakes as other reviewers have previously mentioned. My son and I put this up inside a two story foyer during our dry run in about an hour and 15. Again just as other viewers had pointed out the directions are horrible. We scoured You Tube for videos for other owners assembling their Cougar Flats II. Although a couple of the videos were very helpful, none were explicit enough. This tent and all tents of this size and price should come with a DVD assembly video from the manufacturer.
Although they say it is color coded our pivot sockets did not have the correct color bags strapped to them. There are olive colored stakes and metal stakes with green color coding that do cause some confusion a first build.We eventually figured out the correct way after freezing the You Tube videos when we would get to a point where we couldn't figure out a step.
So off to our weekend trip. We got off to a late start and arrived at the campground in the dark as a violent storm was setting in. Our dry run proved to be very handy as we were able to get the tent standing within ten minutes. Next came the fly, since we hadn't had a dry run with the fly ,we struggled in 30 mile per hour winds to figure out the fly.This took an additional 15 minutes that could have been cut in less than five had we included it in our dry run and not had to contend with the wind and rain. Obviously, since we performed our dry run in the foyer this wasn't possible. An additional ten minutes was spent staking the tent with the light from our lantern and headlights of our truck. We used a tarp that was very heavy and slightly larger than our tent so we folded the excess width under our tent. The tent kept us very dry and amazingly the floor did not leak despite having 4 inches of water accumulate outside. Some of it rolled over the tarp allowing water to be trapped between the tarp and the tent floor. It was almost like walking on a water bed by the low spot directly in front of the one door we chose to use as our door for the weekend. We put our raised queen bed up against the other door The first morning we discovered standing rain on our fly trapped between the awning and the top front of the fly that luckily did not permeate the fly. This can be attributed to our lack of good instructions and a manufacturer misplaced tie down attached to the middle top of the awning vs. the underside where it seems like it belongs. However, it is almost impossible to tell from the provided picture. The tent does have many nice features. Although we didn't use the cup holders and the shelves swayed too much in our violent lightning storms - both nights. We did use the overhead storage holder which was a great idea on Columbia's part. We placed one queen mattress in the front room and 1 queen and 1 twin in the back room. This setup for five people was perfect. Any more would have been cramped and left no room for getting around without walking on mattresses.The room divider is superior to any tent room divider I had ever seen. It almost gives you a false sense of privacy(just remember-not sound proof)
My reasons for not giving this product 5 stars is because of the lack of good instructions, the horrible placement of the awning(although I knew this going in) and the small stakes (can easily be upgraded) Other than that enjoy a fine made tent. Maybe Cougar Flats III will correct these few deficiencies. In the meantime I will deal with my misplaced awning and enjoy CF II for a few years!

1.0 out of 5 stars No warranty on this tent!!, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
I just spoke to a sales rep at North Pole, who used to manufacture these tents for Columbia. Their contract with Columbia ran out in 2010 and they no longer make the tents or parts. They will ship parts WHILE THEY LAST only and there is no warranty. The sales rep advised me to consider the High Sierra Appalachian HSR-5086, which is very similar. I just looked at the Appalachian and it is VERY similar. They offer a 5 year limited warranty. The Appalachian is $20.00 more than the Cougar Flats.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Family Tent, June 26, 2010
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
Love the tent so far! Only did a bit of backyard camping in it once though... So spacious and well made. You can tell some thought went into the layout and design of this tent. Plus it looks cool!
Love the wheeled tote, fit back in after we were done. We fit two queen mattresses in each side of the tent with lots of space to spare. Lots of ventilation for hot nights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Columbia Cougar Flats 2, November 8, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
I set this tent up as soon as possible after receiving it.
Very nice tent as other reviewers have commented. Amazon did a great job in getting it to me & it is all that has been said about it.

I did however have a major issue with Northpole LTD. That is evidently the outfit that is supposed to service the warranty on the tent.

The tent was missing the correct hub on one side for the small brown fiberglass poles. This is in the center location.
What was in it's place was one of the corner hubs.

The paperwork with the tent said to not return the tent to the retailer in the event of a problem. Just call the toll free number listed & they would provide all the help one could ever want.

I made the mistake of calling those people & I was treated as though I was a stupid terrorist who had created the problem in the first place.

The "individual" that answered the phone pretty much told me that I had no idea what the problem was & that she could not just send me the item I needed. I must unpack the tent again & copy the part number off the part in place & then call her back with it so that it could all be verified. She further advised me that nothing similar to this had ever happened before. And even if she saw fit to replace the part then I would have to pay shipping!! ~Fifteen bucks for shipping that 2oz part by the way. Folks, this is something like a three dollar plastic part. These folks would rather start a war over it than to try & create a good working relationship.

Well, after all this stress-I wasn't about to call these people again. I went home & pulled the hub for the other side (it was correct & they are identical). I'm a mechanic & a fabricator. So the next day I went out & bought a 3/8" & a 3/4" black iron nipple & fabbed up a new one & painted it black. I camped in the tent last wknd & of course all was well. The part I made looked & worked great. (and I don't have to deal with that woman again)
There's nothing that one has to purchase from Northpole LTD. The hubs can all be fabricated & tent poles if broken can be bought most any place.

Go ahead & buy the tent. It's a good one for the money I think. The tent gets five stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Tent stands up strong, August 30, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
I have used this tent for 2 years now and it is an awesome tent. I live in a high wind area and have subjected this tent to the worst elements. It has been through some tough storms with winds that collapsed several other tents in my group. It didn't even budge with 40-50 mph gusts. I had people coming to my tent for shelter when the winds made their RV's rock.
Even though this is a large tent the setup is so simple that I have set it up alone several times with no hassle. Haven't had a leak yet and it has been rained and snowed on.
The tent bag has wheels and is super easy to haul around, especially for a large tent.
I absolutely love this tent.

4.0 out of 5 stars In a word: Amazing!, July 6, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
This tent is awesome! I did a ton of reading before buying it and the reviews were spot on: this tent is a wonderful piece of work.

It is very roomy inside and definitely can accommodate 8 people. We slept five in it with plenty of room to spare.

Set-up is a snap (don't worry about the directions, which are a little tough to follow) because all the poles are color coded to the tent. Once you realize this it'll be no time at all before you're relaxing inside!

The tent interior is great; with two large rooms and two bay windows - a terrific feature. We didn't have to rain test it yet but the bay windows are clearly built to allow them to remain open even when it's raining. I would imagine a blowing rain would require you to close them.

The only reason I gave it four stars and not five is because of the construction. Both bay windows are in the same interior room and both doors (large, easy to open "D" shaped doors) open into the same room. It would have been better to have one door into each room and one bay window in each room. Also, there are a couple of accessories: hanging shelves, storage netting, etc. and all of them can be used only in the back room.

The attached rainfly extends the front of the tent about 4x4 and is a great place to put gear in the event of rain.

Definitely a thumbs up for this tent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly delighted!, June 18, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Sports)
After researching tents for over a month, I finally settled on this tent...I kept going back and forth between it and other major brands (Coleman, Eureka,REI, Paha Que, Wenzel). I am so so pleased with the choice! I am nearly 50 (female) and my 13 year old daughter and I easily put the tent up in about 20 minutes. Although it could sleep 8, we're not sharing! We love this huge tent to share just between us! Here's why I chose this tent:
1. two rooms
2. screen room with floor
3. positive reviews on Amazon
4. reasonable price
6. rainfly (doesn't cover the windows, thus not restricting air flow)
7. Rainproof reviews/weatherability
8. Reliability/track record of Columbia
9. Ease of doing business with Amazon.com.
Here's why we LOVE this tent:
1. Great air flow
2. Amazing space/headroom
3. Ease of set up/take down
4. Quality craftsmanship
5. Lots of little really great quality details. VERY thoughtful construction and amenities.
6. Fantastic wheeled carry case
7. Excellent tie downs for the rain fly.
8. Durability
9. The 'home away from home' feeling of this tent. We could easily live in it for weeks at a time.
Here's what I would change about the tent:
1. Make one of the entry doors a 'D' type swing door.
2. Lose the awning (personal preference...not necessary with screened porch).

We did not experience rain until I was folding up the tent and packing it away (in the wheeled bag that provides plenty of storage space!) so I can't comment on the weather resistance of this tent. I sealed the seams well, so I don't expect to have any problems.

To sum it up: WOW! This tent makes our camping experiences together even more amazing! Thank you Columbia and Amazon and all the other buyers who convinced me with your positive reviews and advice!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 516 | Next ›