4.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket for light warmth and rain
Got this as a gift for a friend and it turns out to be one of those jackets you just grab and wear all the time.

Unfortunately, it is hard to choose the color here because the colors have those creative names that don't relate to anything you could guess, so I will list what they are here because I had to research them anyway.

1. Red Velvet is a deep...
Published on February 23, 2012 by Joanna Daneman

Published 18 months ago by BigD

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice jacket, but not water "resistant" enough for direct rain/snow exposure, February 8, 2013
BigD (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I like Columbia outer-wear, and bought this jacket to wear outside while it's raining or snowing (paired with a fleece/sweater underneath when temps are cooler). It's light weight, and makes for a nice wind breaker in warmer weather. If you're going to use an umbrella or quickly go in-out of the rain, the jacket will do. But I would not recommend it as an outer covering if you're going to be outside for a long time in even a slight drizzle. The product description says water "resistant" (not water-proof), and that is indeed the case. Just got finished shoveling my driveway while there was a light sleet-snow shower going on. Afterwards I found the jacket's interior material was wet (like a sweating type of wet), enough to moisten the fleece I wore underneath.

Technically, Columbia advertises their "Omni-Shield" products (which this jacket is) as only water resistant/repellant. In my opinion it's not repellant enough to be described as a true rain coat, as it is on Amazon. It's definitely not meant for direct use in bad weather (if you're thinking about pairing it with warmer wear underneath).

Columbia does have a line of jackets/coats branded as "Omni-Tech", which is advertised as water-proof (not resistant). That would have been a better choice for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket for light warmth and rain, February 23, 2012

1. Red Velvet is a deep almost burgundy red, kind of a cranberry.
2. Antique Moss (my fave) is a bright, yellowish green (very visible)
3. Tusk is a dark gray
4. Blue Jay is a medium blue, slightly green-toned
5. Grill (contrast color) is a charcoal or black tone
6. Amazon is a forest green (another really nice color)

There is a storm hood, and the jacket is water-resistant and stain-resistant (this is the "omni-shield) and it dries up fairly quickly. The pockets zip closed.

This is just the kind of jacket I myself like to pack along for a trip when I am not sure of the weather. My only criticism is that for me, I prefer a longer jacket to cover part of the thigh area, as that keeps me mostly dry. But for convenience, a short jacket is the easiest to carry and pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars very stylish, yet comfortable., May 11, 2012
This review is from: Columbia Men's Glennaker Lake Packable Rain Jacket (Apparel)
I love this coat for so many reasons. It is very comfortable, with a neoprene lining, and fits over just about anything. The wrists have velcro cuffs, for an easy, quick tailored fit. Works great in warm to moderate cold weather. Great for use as a windbreaker or walking jacket. It is extremely versatile as well. As I've said it can be used for so much more than rain. It is also very stylish. It has a hood, which is completely streamlined into the collar. I bought mine in black, so it goes with anything. Also love the cost. Very durable product for what you pay for. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stupid mesh pockets, April 14, 2013
Would have kept it but the pockets are just stupid. Mesh lined- keys inside would rip them to shreds, phone inside wouldn't stay dry. No interior zipping pocket either. It's just dumb to sacrifice storage for breathability when they could put a slit somewhere else. Otherwise it's a nice jacket and really nice color.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this jacket, worth every penny, July 5, 2012
I just moved to seattle couple of week back from NC and i wanted to buy a jacket which can be used to protect against light rains.I loved this jacket it is very light weight and serves its purpose very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Jacket but not Exactly What I Wanted, June 6, 2013
I'm have mixed feeling writing this review since this is a decent jacket, just not what I was looking for exactly. That is a light, but not too light, comfortable, warm (good for 45-65 degrees) wrinkle free, water resistant, jacket that has a collar but no hood. That said I think it's only fair to rate the jacket for what it is.

Which is a good looking, very light, water resistant jacket. Suitable for a light wind, drizzly day maybe on the golf course or running some errands. It's not meant for heavy rain or wind and certainly not for keeping the cold at bay. So if that's what you're looking for, this will more than server the purpose.

The sizing was about right. I wear x-large sometimes large and this XL fits well and leaves decent room to move without being too baggy. You can easily swing a golf club with it on. The length is just right since I wear a lot of shirt that don't tuck in so it covers them which I like. It does has a hood, but it's hidden well and the collar lays down nicely.

What kept it from five stars is that it easily wrinkles and retains those wrinkles for a while. If you hang it up after each use and drape it over something for short trips it's fine, but if you throw it in the front seat of your car like I do, it might not look it's best when you put it on to enter a store or work. Tuck it in a golf bag for a while and it will be pretty ugly when you go to use it weeks later.

The other thing is the material tends to stick to your skin if you have a short sleeve shirt on. Not real bad, but again, not what I had in mind. It makes that windbreaker noise too when moving, but that is to be expected.

I know it might sound like I am being pretty critical for a four star rating. I'd have given 3-1/2 if if I could, but it's not a three so I went four instead to be fair.

I've been wearing it daily since it arrived and am starting to like it more as time goes on. But that will only last until I find a nice jacket that is more to my liking. Then it will probably end up in the trunk of my car to be used for golf or when the conditions warrant.

Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second one of these I've had, May 16, 2012
I really like this jacket. My parents had given me one a couple of years ago, and I wore it walking around the campus of my job and managed to stay dry on the rainiest of days. I don't think you'd want to stand outside for a long time in a torrential downpour, but for going from building to building, it's perfect. Even on non-rainy days, it makes a great spring/fall jacket.

Unfortunately, that jacket was stolen, so I ended up getting a second one not too long ago. I'm happy to say that the replacement is just as good as the first one. The only improvement I would make would be to add some zip up vents in the arm pits since this jacket can get pretty warm on hot days.

2.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't breathe, October 29, 2013
It doesn't breathe. This is like a rubber raincoat that gathers condensation on the inside. It's also very light weight, and isn't warm.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good jacket for light rain, May 3, 2013
This jacket fits well, looks nice, and is pretty light weight, but it does not do a fantastic job of keeping the water out. In moderate rain the stitching around the lettering on the chest will wick water, and so does the stitching on the left sleeve where it says omni-shield. After about an 30 minutes of being stuck in the rain, you'll find a growing wet spot on your left chest and wrist.

Perhaps my expectations were too high for a light jacket. Under heavy rain all of the the seams start to leak, in addition to the lettering. Don't expect this to keep you dry for more than 5 minutes in a thunderstorm. I think the water wicks through the stitching thread just as it wicks through the lettering. I may try blasting the seams with some kind of spray and see if it helps at all.

Using a baseball cap in conjunction with the hood helps keep the hood from flopping into your face with the slightest gust of wind, and the adjustment straps do a good job of keeping the hood in place so it doesn't blow off your head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, February 20, 2013
Seems high quality, definitely what i was expecting. Looks good and stops the wind.. I would recommend this product to you.

Rate and Discover Movies