Works well, the blue is definitely "vivid" packed into the pocket it is rounghly 5x5X2" in size but can easily be "compressed" in a backpack or something similar to be more space saving. The pouch is not designed to be like that though.

Published 4 months ago by eoneill

This jacket looks good and is definitely packable, but breathable, it is not.

Published 8 months ago by Avenging Taco

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much a rubber rain jacket. Beware of the fake reviews., March 5, 2014
This review is from: Columbia HydroTech Packable Rain Jacket (Apparel)
This jacket looks good and is definitely packable, but breathable, it is not.

I purchased this without looking at the reviewers profiles, and I usually know better than to buy something that doesn't have at least 100 reviews for it on Amazon. But, I figured this would be worth a try since it had the look I wanted and it also had the omni-tech level of rain protection.

Upon receiving it, I was hugely disappointed. The jacket feels like you are wearing one of those brightly colored rubber rain jackets you had when you were a kid, except lighter. The interior lining has some sort of rubber/grippy texture which sticks to your skin and doesn't breathe at all. My arms were sweating within 10 minutes of wearing this jacket around the house. Worst of all, it has that cheap plastic/rubber feeling of wearing a disposable rain poncho, which you might as well be doing if you buy this jacket. This jacket has breatheable written on the side of it, but with the fabric clinging to your skin, it is obvious that there is no air circulation whatsoever. There are breatheable fabrics out there that do not sacrifice rain protection, and Columbia makes higher quality rain jackets than this one for the same price. If you don't care about sweating all over yourself, and enjoy the feeling of rubberized rain gear, give this jacket a go if it is the right price. However, I am probably turned off by the fact the reviews have obviously been purchased for this product, and I feel like I was suckered. This one is going back and I'm going to buy a 5.11 Tac Dry Rain shell that is currently on sale instead.

Overall:
-Looks good
-Packs down small
-Feels like you are wearing a trash bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars the blue is definitely "vivid" packed into the pocket it is rounghly 5x5X2" in size but can easily be "compressed" in a backpack, July 9, 2014

I used it in El Yunque Jungle in Puerto Rico, we got hit with a few soaker storms there and this performed well. No issues with the high humidity either which I was worried about. It does not "breath" like a Columbia PFG shirt or anything like that, but no one should expect that level of performance with breath-ability and expect to stay dry in the rain.

I got mine from amazon for $41.XX and it was 100% worth the price, I have seen it jump as high as $85.XX and would have probably been less thrilled at that price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice jacket, January 16, 2014
I liked the design of the small details, lightweight, design is phenomenal. Recommend this jacket, I'm happy with it. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it., June 10, 2014
Can't ask for anything better. Good for rain and cool weather. Keeps you warm and dry when it rains, and is light, for days when temperatures are cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit - water tight, June 21, 2014
I wore this two rainy days last week in the BWCA. The jacket kept me dry and protected from the wind. Terrific value.

5.0 out of 5 stars light weight raingear, June 29, 2014
Paul Ruel (NAPLES, FL US) - See all my reviews
It is very light and allows for heavier clothing underneath when required. May get a second one to keep in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jacket it is breathable and didn't turn into a ..., June 30, 2014
Great Jacket it is breathable and didn't turn into a sauna kept the rain out I would highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 19, 2014
Its light and keeps the rain out. Done and done. Just get it and you be happy for a long time

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome jacket, May 19, 2014
Does as advertised. It's just a shell and it helps to layer underneath but I went to a concert and it rained but I stayed dry. Once the rain was over, I folded it up and packed it away. Good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fishing jacket, May 6, 2014
I bought this for my teenage son for our recent trout fishing trip. Fishing in the rain was never so much fun!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›