5.0 out of 5 stars Versatility and Warmth
Published 17 months ago by Stu

2.0 out of 5 stars Columbia Jacket was a dissappointment
I had high expectations for this jacket. I wanted a rain resistance and warm jacket. While I think the jacket met that expectation I was disappointed because the jacket was uncomfortable to wear. There is a thick zipper that runs under the armpit which I found very annoying. That zipper should have been in a different location on the jacket or been a lot thinner.
Published 18 months ago by Bob P

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatility and Warmth, January 23, 2013
I will go ahead and state I work for Columbia Sportswear, but I will try to give an unbiased review. There was a reason I chose this interchange above my many choices. The 100 grams of insulation in the liner is our highest grade, and I need that for the Minnesota Winter, with this jacket on and minimal layering my core has never been cold, even outside at negative temperatures for over a half hour. I am 5' 9" 150 pounds, the medium is a great fit with the small exception of the sleeves being a little long. The liner by itself is a great warm early winter coat. Despite what some people are saying the liner is not truly waterproof, just very water resistant, the shell is rain and wind proof. This is an overall excellent winter coat for the northeast, midwest, west and northeast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm and durable, April 29, 2013
I used this jacket working on an airport ramp in Alaska, temperatures were down to -10F at times but usually in the teens. It kept me warm, it's durable, and it has many features. My only complaint is that the zipper on the outer shell gets stuck easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, Comfortable and pretty much flawless, September 13, 2012
I bought this jacket for the upcoming winter and have tested it for a while so far. Here are some of my observations:

-The jacket has very premium feeling materials. The outer jacket is completely waterproof and nothing seeped through when I went in the rain once. Even the inner shell is waterproof.
-The inner shell is FANTASTIC. It's compact, VERY light and VERY warm.
-Continuing from the last point, Omni Heat actually works. In fact, it works exceptionally. The reflective inner coating absorbs heat instantly and is very warm, the perfect temperature. Winter hasn't come yet so I can't say for certain, but in the 9-10C cool weather right now it's great. The great thing is I'm wearing this right now in my heated room where it's about 25C, and I'm not feeling hot at all. It regulates the temperature around your body to a comfortable level regardless of the temperature.
-There are a lot of pockets in the outer shell, which is great
-The neckpad is very comfortable, albeit a bit itchy at first.

Overall, I would give this product a 10/10 so far. I'll probably update this when winter hits but so far it's amazing and does its job very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurricane Sandy AND the Nor'Eastern, November 19, 2012
I received the jacket the weekend before the whole mega storm/hurricane Sandy hit the north east, and while my are was not drastically, but i did step out into the gusting winds and rains. I was toasty and dry the whole time.

Flash forward a week. I am standing at Red Bull Arena in the middle of the Nor'Eastern being pounded by snow for about 1.5 Hours. My body again: toasty and dry.

From these two experiences alone, I must say this jacket is worth its weight it gold and quite possibly one of the best investments i have ever made. I also have been using the outer shell when commuting to work on bike. It works great. A little too great. I have to open the under arm vents after a few mintes.

This jacket is without a doubt extremely worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars North Dakota Winter, We're Ready for You, October 5, 2013
Tami (North Dakota) - See all my reviews
My son picked out this jacket system at a local sporting-goods retailer. I was going to go back and purchase it but wanted to see if I could get a better deal online.

Amazon had the same jacket at $40 less than the retailer. I ordered it and it arrived promptly, and was exactly the same as the one we had tried on.

Winter is long and very very cold here in North Dakota, so a great winter coat is a must. We've had LL Bean and Columbia coats in the past, and I would say they are equal in warmth and versatility, the only real differences being styling.

The thing I really love about this coat is that it is 3 jackets in 1. The zip-out "liner" is a fully insulated yet not at all bulky warm jacket that can be worn in the fall and during spring "transitional" weather. The outer shell is a well-constructed waterproof rain coat, long enough to cover hips. When used together, it seems like it will be unbeatable for keeping him warm and dry during the coldest months. Sleeves are long enough and adjustable for a snug fit around the wrists. The hood is NOT insulated, it is a rain hood, you're expected to wear a beanie or balaklava with it in the winter.

It's a shame they don't have a picture of the interior lining of the inside jacket. Be aware that it uses their patented Omni-Heat (tm) reflective surface, which is covered with shiny silver dots to reflect heat back to the wearer. I see some purchasers were not aware of this and the "flashiness" surprised them. Its part of the technology that makes this jack so warm without being bulky.

I will update after our next winter with a thorough review.

UPDATE 11-14-2013: I just want to stress how NON-BULKY this jacket is, while still being so warm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, March 22, 2013
Really warm jacket. Quite true to size as well. The inner lining is all my husband wore for most of the winter and we live in Ontario.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, January 10, 2013
Mark H. Jeross (Royal Oak, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Thus far, it has been not the coldest winter in Michigan, however, I have been very pleased with the jacket. It is very warm and has ample pockets. I have been very pleased with the jacket!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tighter fit but crazy warm, February 20, 2014
I went from an older Columbia interchange jacket to this one, both in XL size (I'm 6'1" and about 175lbs). The very first thing I noticed is this newer coat is a tighter, more athletic fit. Its most noticable in the armpits and sleeves themselves, the armpits are tighter to the body and the sleeves themselves are narrower. With my old Columbia I could wear a t-shirt with a sweatshirt underneath with no issue, and still have range of motion. Now with this new coat I usually only wear a t-shirt, I *can* do a sweatshirt too but its a little like being the kid from a Christmas Story...you get stiff and bulky. BUT this new version with omni-heat is so insanely warm that I don't need the sweatshirt, I'm comfortable in just the coat and a t-shirt in Buffalo winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Jacket, December 27, 2012
This jacket is half as thick and much warmer than my old coat; plus, it's perfectly suited to the harsh WI winter. This is the best purchase I have made in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm, April 22, 2013
I live in Minneapolis MN and this jacket is very warm. I really like the ability to take the shell off and use it independently as a rain jacket. The lining is a little.... flashy but, I think, the key to its warmth. Great jacket.

Rate and Discover Movies