Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Size: 34|Color: Brown|Change

on June 10, 2010
I don't know if you have done a lot of shopping for a quality all leather belt lately but they are expensive. Yes you can find belts for this price but most are NOT all leather even though they might look like it. I know since I have 2 of them now that are starting to fall apart in just 4 or 5 months. I do have a quality dress belt that I paid over double the price of this one, but it has lasted for quite a few years now with hardly any sign of wear.

This is a all leather belt, I could not find any indication that it is not. It's extremely attractive for casual wear and looks like it will last quite a while. The buckle is fairly heavy with a pewter finish and well made. The belt felt a bit stiff at first, but seems to be softening up the more I wear it. Although it is all leather " probably cow hide " it is not as soft and attractive as some of the leather used on the expensive or designer belts that are out there.

This belt had a treatment called oil tanning or chamoising , where stiffer leather is infused with various oils to soften it. The early Indians used this type of treatment for the clothes they wore to make them soft and wearable. You can feel the oily texture on this belt, but fortunately nothing has come off to stain my clothes.

Amazons photo is deceiving as to the color of the belt and the buckle. After you finish reading this review and hopefully give me a thumbs up on it, go to the product page and check out my photo under customer images. That is the actual color of the Belt and buckle.

Also the width of the belt is wrong. They have it at 40 MM wide when it is actually closer to 38 MM which translates into 1 1/2 inches wide. I don't know why they cant give us this in inches to start with. Who the heck knows or even wants to know what a MM " Millimeter " is. I had to look it up.

As to the stated length:: My belt is 4 inches longer than the actual stated waist size, enough to go through the two loops with a inch or two to spare. The fit for me could not be any better.

When I first bought it I thought the name Columbia indicated it was possibly made in South America, but no it's just the company name. This belt is made in " You guessed it " CHINA.

I hope I don't have to eat my words of praise for this belt 6 or 8 months down the road. I guess time will tell. I'll keep you posted if anything goes bad on this belt.

I recently purchased this Columbia Men's 32mm Oil Tan Guatemalan Belt which is thinner " 1 1/4 in wide " and a little dressier. This is also an excellent belt. Please check out my review on it, Thanx
review image
1010 comments|299 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
Belt is great. I wear it every day.

Just remember that belt size is not the same as waist size. I have a 36" waist and require a 40" belt.
44 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2014
Poor quality Chinese leather tanning. Had the same problem with a Dockers and JC Penneys belts (also produced in China). As all my other Columbia merchandise is of good quality, I thought I would try the belt. It lasted about the same amount of time as the previous two brands, 6 months. The belts were worn every day.

The Leather on the front of all the belts is well done. It is the backing leather and whatever cloth/paper the insides are made of, that is very poor quality. See picture.
on March 9, 2011
The belt is of inferior quality. I relied on customer reviews, but I think there may have been some shills providing some of them. The belt is not solid leather. If any of it is leather it is two thin pieces sown together with a filler between. It wasn't long until it started separating, especialy at the buckle hole I use. Of course the belt is made in China. Where else these days.
44 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2015
The appearance when new is .... great. looks very sturdy and well-made.
But wear it for a couple of weeks and you'll see what defective leather looks like: the belt split completely open, from side to side. At one of the holes where the buckle was usually used.
What causes this damage so quickly? It's the construction and material used.
The belt is two thin pieces of leather sewn together but with some thick material between the two thinner strips of leather. This material has no strength whatsoever: it's only there to give padding and make the belt look thicker.
The top and bottom layers of leather are poor quality, not very strong, so when stress of even a low degree is applied at any of the holes, the whole thing tears apart.
See the photo.
Stay away from this junk.
on July 2, 2009
I had to buy this belt in a larger size and was pleased with its quality and durability. The leather is thick (to hold in my husband's gut), the buckle seems sturdy, and the finish on the leather makes it appear high quality. Recommend.
on June 4, 2012
The belt is not made of leather. It began to crack around the buckle hole not long after I began using it. After 3 1/2 months it's ready to separate. I thought that Columbia made a good product, boy, was I fooled! Look elsewhere for a belt.Columbia Men's 40mm Oil Tan Leather Edge Belt
on April 6, 2012
I can't believe Columbia can put their name on this product and call it leather as well. It is like the belt you get when you are 8 years old to hold up your first pair of big boy church pants. Doesn't look like the picture either.
on August 20, 2009
The belt that I received is a very nice belt but as far as the color goes it doesn't look anything like the picture, and if I had known this before hand I wouldn't have purchased it. The belt is actually quite a bit darker and not at all shiny. I only wish Amazon was selling a belt that actually looks like the one in this picture; then again they might be if the other advertised belts' pictures are off as much as this one is.
on February 9, 2011
The belt was not all leather even though the picture made it look like it was. It is the first product purchased from Amazon that was totally unsatisfactory. It fell apart in 3 to 4 months. It should be removed from your choices as to purchasing a good belt. Shame on you Amazon for keeping this on your list of belts to purchase. It will ruin your reputation.

Walt Skinner, a long time Amazon customer.