5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, Dry, High Quality, Sharp Looking Jacket
Published on June 20, 2012 by Patrick Welty

Published 8 months ago by A2 Car Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, Dry, High Quality, Sharp Looking Jacket, June 20, 2012
Patrick Welty (Santa Clara, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
Don't be misled, this is a warm jacket. There is a thin fleece-like lining inside the jacket surrounded by a gortex liner. This provides for a warm & dry experience. I bought it for a trip to Europe in March (it rained and hovered around 50 degrees). With a long sleeve shirt underneath the jacket, the product served its purpose miraculously. The rain rolled right off the jacket, and dried in under and hour when hung up.

Ok so it's effective for keeping you warm and dry. But it also looks damn good when you're wearing it. The collar pops a bit but not to a douchebag degree (full vertical pop), allowing for a preppy yet subtle look. I chose green because I look really good in that color. And man was I catching a lot of glances from the ladies (it was all in my head, but 90% of confidence is how you perceive yourself).

Buy this because it serves its purpose, it's a great price (compare to some ridiculously overpriced Northface jacket costing $250), and you'll look like you're ready to climb Mt. McKinley and bang chicks. Nuff said.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird sizing but great jacket, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Columbia Men's Ascender II Softshell Jacket (Apparel)
I didn't buy this here but I thought I should share my opinion on this jacket. First of all, the sizing of this jacket is made a little smaller than what most people would think. I normally wear large and I feel very comfortable. I got this jacket large size and it felt very tight in the under arms and shoulder area. I exchanged for a XL and it feels way better...It seems as if there is a huuuuge gap between a Large and a XL....The jacket is warm but you want to wear a hoody inside for the winter.

Update 11/12/11: I'm very glad I exchanged the jacket for a XL. It looks and feels way better. I love the design of this jacket. It really makes you look sharp.

Update: 03/20/12

I lost a bit of weight and the XL is too baggy for me. I purchased this jacket again in a large and it fits perfectly with room for a hoody. I'm 5'9 178lbs. I wish Columbia implement omni heat in this jacket. I think this is the best looking Columbia jacket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fit Considerations, March 15, 2012
Since a lot of the reviews on this product that I've read just consider the climatic qualities, I wanted to provide feedback on the fit. I'm 5'9", 150 lbs and had trouble deciding between the small and medium. I ordered both, but find the small a more appropriate choice. My concern was that the chest dimensions, based on the sizing chart, seemed better suited for the medium, whereas the other dimensions fit squarely with the small. I wear a 38R suit jacket, have a 31 waist and 33 sleeve length.

However, these are general sizes for all of Columbia's clothing. The actual manufacturer's dimensions per item can vary as it does for this product. The small chest size is closer to 41" and the sleeve length is 34". The medium sleeve is an inch longer and chest closer to 43". Therefore the medium is too bulky on my frame.

The small fits good in the waist and chest, and overall appearance is quite sharp. It's a little snug under the arms, but I prefer a good fit there over having excess material that bunches up.

Also, either my neck is short or the collar is markedly higher than the one imaged. I have a 15.5" neck measurement, but here again the actual collar measures 19." However, the collar for me would only be extended if I were outside in the cold or wind. If you have a need for the collar to be up often, this may be an issue for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely consider this jacket! Alaska extreme weather tested., November 17, 2012
This review is from: Columbia Men's Ascender II Softshell Jacket (Apparel)
I recently had a business trip to Alaska and my luggage was misplaced leaving my North Face Apex Bionic jacket in limbo. Weather in Alaska was very cold and snowing and I had to visit a local store in Fairbanks, AK for something to use quickly as i had some additional work that required me to be in the elements.

I found the Columbia Ascender II Omni Shield which is a very closely compared to the North Face Apex I was missing and I was surprised at just how well it fit and was made. I have had my North Face for quite a few years yet it still did not have as much of a comfortable feel as this Columbia jacket as this one simply felt less firm and more form fitting and comfortable.

I can tell you from experience, this jacket in addition to an under sweater I had on handled the extreme Weather in Fairbanks well being it was below 0 the entire time and even in Anchorage where it too was snowing more and in the low 10 degrees so it did get me by during my trip even for a jacket not designed for such cold weather as I experienced.

Snow and moisture repelled this jacket with ease keeping me dry. Wind also did get to me as sleeves and neck area protected me very well.

Don't get me wrong, both brands of jackets are very good choices as I mentioned but i can tell you, the Columbia gets a 5 star rating for several reasons:

* Price and value
* Comfort
* Style and functionality
* Feel - less firm and stiff than my other jacket which is already broken in.

If you are seeking a great jacket, i would certainly recommend the Columbia Ascender II Omni Shield.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck getting this on over anything other than a short sleeve shirt or tee, November 13, 2013
A2 Car Guy (Ann Arbor, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I've had other Columbia products and have had good success with them, so I took a shot and ordered this jacket. Though I had read a few other reviews about the material inside the sleeves, I still felt like I'd give it a go. Bad mistake. I first tried to put the jacket on over a light weight sweater I had on. I could barely get one arm into it, and it bunched up terribly. I then removed the sweater and tried putting the jacket on over a long sleeve dress shirt. While it went on somewhat easier, the material inside the sleeves is so "grippy" it's impossible to get this jacket on without a real struggle. Once it IS on, because of this material, the sleeves bunch up by your biceps. No thanks, it's being returned tomorrow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colombia Jacket, November 9, 2011
Nice jacket that fits perfectly. The jacket is similar to a much more expensive Blackhawk jacket minus the padding on the elbows and waterpoofing on the seams. BTW the jacket is water resistant as the first day I put it on it started pouring as soon as I stepped outside. The jacket kept the rain beaded up on the outside and it brushed right off when I got under cover. Overall I am happy with this jacket.

It appears it can zip into a shell as a liner; I will try to zip it in my other wet weather tops to see how it works out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great jacket for a great price!, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Columbia Men's Ascender II Softshell Jacket (Apparel)
Just recieved my jacket today and I'm very impressed with the look and feel of the jacket. I decided to purchase this columbia after I had returned the free country softshell. (The zipper on free country is just horrible stopped working the first day) the columbia is thinner and softer yet just as warm. I'm in kansas so it can be 80 degrees one day then the next day down to 35. This will be my winter jacket as well. I'm 5'11 200lbs and a large fits me perfect. Snug and comfortable with room to fit a long sleeve if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, August 28, 2013
I love this jacket. It is warm and waterproof and the fit is great. Not too baggy and pretty much as shown in the picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars great jacket, July 3, 2013
stylish, simple, great fit and keeps you warm.......couldn't need anything more from this nice jacket....nice price too......great quality and great value

5.0 out of 5 stars stylish and functional jacket, March 26, 2014
most of my wardrobe is function over form with a somewhat baggy fit on my slender frame. so awhile back i got to thinking i would try and add something that was a little more compatible with my slight build for casual wear around town, but that would also be able to pull its weight in keeping me warm and dry. i originally ordered this model in medium, and although it fit my 6'1", 165 lb frame fairly well, it did not quite achieve the fitted look i was hoping for, so i anxiously returned it in exchange for a small (i was afraid that might over do it). fortunately the small ended up being very close to what i wanted.

it is a little tight in the shoulders, but with a t-shirt on it fits great and is surprisingly warm on its own for a spring or fall chill down into the 50s. in a pinch i could put a light fleece layer on underneath for added warmth but it would definitely be snug. whats more is this sucker is water proof. i held the sleeve under a moderately running faucet and the water just beaded off like a duck's back. it by itself obviously wont keep my face or legs dry but im confident if im ever caught in anything less than a torrential rain it will at least keep my torso dry.

Columbia Men's Ascender II Softshell Jacket