4.0 out of 5 stars 2013-14 Winter in Afghanistan
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but.....
Published 10 months ago by M'n'M

4.0 out of 5 stars 2013-14 Winter in Afghanistan, November 16, 2013
Amazon Customer (Huntsville, Alabama) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus II Omni-Heat Snow Boot (Shoes)
I am a DoD contractor and have had a pair of Columbia boots before and loved them each and everytime I wore them. So when I saw these I was expecting the same as before. Nope.. They were ever BETTER!! These are well made and I always double check things were the posibility of unstitching or defects most likely take place. The fit is great and ample for larger and thicker socks. You'll have more room in them with your everyday long calf tube socks, but if you go with the thicker socks they fill up just fine. I wear 11.5 US and these ran just right. They are warm and the Omni-Tech does just what it says it does. We get snow up in the higher elevations of Afghansitan and plenty of mud, rain and snow. I walk through everything without a second thought. Over all types of terrain. And these boots are amazing. Keep my feet warm and dry without compromising confort and manuverability. I need to be able to run in these boots too and they flex where I need them to. I know I will probly run these into the ground and use them harder than most people reading this, but that's the point. You'll get your monies worth out of these boots. Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, some minor issues., January 2, 2014
I'll start by saying I wear boots every day, as I'm military, and have sampled quite a few types, brands, and styles in my ten years in so far. As such, I have a decent frame of reference to apply to this review.

These are very comfortable, but need a little breaking in. They seem stable enough across ice and hard-packed snow, and shed it off pretty well with a few quick stomps. They have a very pronounced forward lean to them, it's a little disconcerting at first, but you get used to it very quickly. I have feet that border on wide, depending on brand and I find that these fit pretty well.

They are warm. Very warm. They're great for the winter portion of my government-sponsored Korean vacation, and they look pretty nice on top of it. My biggest concern is that these...well, you MUST wear some sort of boot sock with them. If you don't you will pay for it. These boots use Columbia's Omni-heat reflective material. If you've never seen it, it resembles a disco ball inside. The problem is that those little shiny dots seem to bind to leg hair with a force rivaling the gravitational pull of a black hole, and they draw the hairs in just as hard. If you don't have some sort of barrier between your leg and the boot, you'll be plagued with an interminable pulling of those leg hairs, as though the boots were playing some one-sided version of "Odds or Evens" with you. Basically, get yourself some long socks to go with these, and you're perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, comfortable!, October 23, 2013
The day after I got these boots I took them on a hike through the snowy mountains. I was dry, warm, and comfortable to the max. Plus, these are really durable and have a great grip. I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for the NFL, December 4, 2013
I work on an NFL sideline on Sundays, where the temperate can dip into the teens. I need to be able to run, crouch, and stand for extended periods of time.

These boots keep your feet warm, I only wear one pair of thick socks with them, and they are light enough and flexible enough to not slow you down or restrict movement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waterproof and functional, December 2, 2013
Very well manufactured and engineered. Comfortable and fit true to size. Still requires wearer to use wool socks in sub-freezing temps as the toes get cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choose 1/2 size larger than your normal shoe size., November 27, 2013
The boots arrived on time and the day before the 7 inch snowfall. The aggressive tread design grips better than my old Sorrels. (Which were quality boots) When laced up, the the boot it stiff from the ankle to the top of the boot. It may become more flexible with time. The boot feels lighter in weight than my old boots, but they also appear to be constructed well. The outside temperature was 30 and my feet were warm. They say that the feet should stay warm down to a -32 degrees Centigrade. I read that you should size larger than your current shoe size. I did just that by choosing a half size larger and they fit a tad loose with slightly heavy socks. The boot should feel more snug when I wear my heavy winter socks with the Drymax socks underneath, I will report back when I experience colder temperatures and icy conditions. The price was very good in comparison to Dicks Sporting Goods and others. Note that the price had jumped three times in the 10 days that that I first viewed it on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bugaboot Plus 2 Omni-Heat Snow Boot, November 4, 2013
I took a shot in the dark when I ordered these boots. I was skeptical at first about whether this would be comfortable or even warm. I live in north western Minnesota and work outside so I need a good warm boot in the winter. I heard about the new omni-heat technology and figured i'd give it a try. Let me say I am quite impressed with it. When I am sitting still even for long periods of time my feet stay nice and warm. Overall they are pretty comfortable but they are a stiffer boot so they don't allow a whole lot of ankle movement. They also look nice and can be worn whenever which is awesome. Good grip to they have a nice aggressive tread.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but....., December 29, 2013
First of all, I ordered the color of "Stout Cedar" but was sent grey. Based on other reviews I read, I ordered a half size larger. I had tried on a pair in a shoe store but they didn't have half sizes, and seemed narrow..the extra half size helps for a narrower width in the boot design than I would like. My two biggest complaints are 1. The reflective insulation comes only halfway up the boot and ends about two inches from the top of the boot.The problem I encountered is that there is a SEAM where the relective insulation ends and regular padding begins. This SEAM I found very noticeable even with a relatively heavy pair of winter socks on. I have since covered this SEAM with good, old duct tape (about one week ago) and the irritation to my calves is now unnoticeable. 2. There is not enough padding in the heel area at the back (not the sole). I have since taped a piece of insole to cushion my heel (used, you guessed it..duct tape). Should not have to do such modifications to a boot to make them comfortable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warm, dry and uncomfortable, February 6, 2014
This pair of boots has shown me the error of foolishly buying shoes on-line without trying on a pair elsewhere first. Here's a list of pro's and con's:

Pros:
-Warm (at least for shoveling snow and commuting back and forth to work via NYC public transportation, standing outside on cold concrete for hours on end in single digit weather...you'll have to do your own field test).
-Waterproof (waded through the gutter slush and puddles as others were tip-toeing their way...absolutely no concern about water getting in).

Cons:
-They did feel a bit large for my normal size (hey, maybe I'm really a 8-1/2 not a 9). Other reviewers mentioned doubling up on socks but I don't like how that constricts my feet. That could have been avoided, of course, by trying on a physical pair.
-Uncomfortable...my biggest issue with these shoes. The tops of the boots put pressure on your shins that is at first unnoticeable but by the end of the day induces a jolt of pain around your calves and shins with each step. Their stiffness also restricts the natural movement of your foot. Not much of a problem when you're walking down the street but try walking down stairs...its like clomping down the stairs in ski boots. I've tried lacing them less snugly and while the comfort level slightly improved the boots now felt, well, too loose. Perhaps the restrictive nature of the boot is a plus for certain types of uses but I'd like a wider range of movement. Would also consider getting an insole if I decide to keep using these boots, there's not a lot of built-in arch support. (Note: I must admit that I've only had these boots a week so there might be some level of "breaking in" that needs to happen here but with much of the lower portion of the boot being rubber I'm not sure how much the boot can conform to the movement of my feet and legs.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good boot for the money, November 22, 2013
They seem like rugged boots. They are warm and fairly confortable right out of the box. They are true to size.

Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus II Omni-Heat Snow Boot